“Second Review.....and the reason is........”

Papas The Deep Blue
Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Sandwich
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

When I first reviewed just over a month ago, I was pleasantly surprised to receive an answer to my query of why were the chips so pale and untasty. It was explained that the oil that was used contributed to that and the fact that it was changed frequently. As I was happy with the fish I went back......twice.......both times were great, the chips were a lot better and I'm wondering, on the first visit there was a man cooking who was not there on my other visits and maybe he was being trained? Which would also explain the lack of tastiness? Either way, I am very happy to recommend Papas fish and chips in Sandwich. I really enjoyed the customer service aspect as well. Second visit they were not as busy so both people behind the counter took the time to chat, 3rd visit they were SO busy...no chat but pleasant still.

1  Thank TWS42

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Great location but very disappointing food and service. The chips and fish were soggy and the young lad behind the counter was disinterested and rude to both myself and others. Totally unnecessary behaviour - avoid!

2  Thank SBAD1
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Been in UK for 5 days and have been craving fish and chips! Checked the reviews on tripadvisor and was drooling about getting my rock and chips from Papas. Fish was good, chips were SO disappointing. Cooked but not browned at all, am wondering if the oil was not hot enough?
Don't need to go back, a shame as it's only a few minutes walk from where I'm staying.

2  Thank TWS42
KIgnatiou, Manager at Papas The Deep Blue, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank You Very much for your Review.

I'm glad you enjoyed your fish and in regards to the chips, making them brown is not a simple case of cooking them at a high temperature. There are a number of factors that affect the colour of the chips. For example any imperfections in the oil ie. batter bits will make the chips dark. We filter the oil of the pans in use twice a day and this removes any imperfections.

We also cook in Groundnut Oil. This is a clear light couloured oil which does not fry a dark colour and enables us to cook at high temperatures without the oil becoming damaged as easily as normal Vegetable Oil.

Another major factor in the colour is the potatoes. Dark potatoes indicate that they have been affected by a colder temperature than they should be ie. frost.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Many Thanks

Kyri Ignatiou

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Drove up from Woking in Surrey to attend an School Reunion and also to renew my association
withTony and his family at Papas Fish Restaurant on the Quay at Sandwich in Kent,
In my opinion still the best and i have tried the rest well worth a visit.See you soon.

John Lane...Surrey.....formally of Canterbury

1  Thank john l
Reviewed May 16, 2013

After deep blue in canterbury telling us they had opened a takeaway and restaurant in sandwich we decided to stop off on our way back from a cycle ride. Wow! The fish and chips are perfect just like there canterbury shop. Tasty, crispy and super customer service.

2  Thank kgrl_13