The Bell Hotel
The Fleur de Lis(Sandwich)(Great Value!)
$105
$90
The Salutation(Sandwich)
$273
$265
  • Breakfast included
The Blue Pigeons(Worth)(Great Value!)
$90
$87
Orbitz.com
Pegwell Bay Hotel(Ramsgate)(Great Value!)
$103
Waterfront Hotel(Deal)(Great Value!)
$69
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewslovely hotelriver viewpublic car parkshepherd neamepay and displaylimited parkingflask of fresh milkno liftreception areafamily roomtea and coffeewaiting staffmedieval townwine listfamily weddinglovely roomlovely weekend
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We have just returned from a excellent stay at the Bell hotel.
My sister and I booked this venue for my parents 60th wedding anniversary.

This was a surprise for my parents and I was delighted with help I received from the staff.

On arrival we were greeted by the friendly and knowledgeable receceptionist.

Our rooms were a delight, I would say one of the most comfortable beds I have encountered in a hotel ,and I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world. The clean crisp sheets and fluffy duvet were very welcoming as was the carefully selected and contemporary furnishings. My parents room 24 was superb with a lovely on-suite, flat screen TV and French doors which lead out onto a balcony with views across the river Stour. Very impressed.

The food was excellent the chef certainly knows were to obtain the finest produced which is prepared by him and his team with a lot of care, love and attention to detail. We were served the most wonderful lamb cooked on hay this dish is not to be missed. My parents had the freshly caught Plaice which they said was delightful. All this was served with local fresh vegetables.

We drank good wine with our meal which we selected from the very good wine list. There is a good selection of wine from a local vineyard and I would recommend the sparkling rose which is like pink champagne.

The service in the brasserie and bar was superb, friendly and courteous.

The Bell Hotel is situated within a medieval town with lots of history. Also nearby is Royal St George and Princes golf courses.

This Hotel is a perfect venue for every age and we will certainly return in the very near future.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Pleasantly surprised by the size of our room and its modern decor, plus a very comfortable bed. Very quiet with a view over the river. Breakfast was also good with prompt service. A good base for exploring Sandwich. We managed to get a parking space in front of the hotel though I suspect this is tricky if you arrive later than we did.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I stayed here for the weekend with my husband, Sandwich is a lovely town and the Bell has a great location by the river. We arrived late on friday night and were put into room 39, first impressions were good, lovely decor and ok size, the view was pretty rubbish overlooking the roof but as we dont spend much time in the rooms anyway it was ok for the weekend, we had dinner in the restaurant on the first evening which was excellent, i highly recommend the chateaubriand! Things were a little different in the morning however, the rooms above us sounded like they were showering in our room, it was so loud and then our neighbours checked in next door and we could hear their whole conversations, the walls were so thin, i called reception who agreed to move us, we were moved to room 43 which was a lot quieter as in the corner, this was fine but did have a lot of traffic noise in the morning. breakfast service was pretty comical, the waiting staff instead of dealing with one area all try and do everything which does not work, we asked for tea and coffee 3 times and waited about 20 mins for it, we eventually were able to order breakfast and then someone elses was delivered to us, when it did come and was correct it was delicious but service was a bit bizarre, the 2 other tables by us had the same experience too which is a shame. I would stay here again but would be choosy on which room i was in as they vary a lot.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2009

The good - in an area of the UK devoid of good hotels, The Bell Hotel is at least making an effort to be modern and stylish and the food is excellent.

The bad - the rooms are small and ours (room 38) had no view, looking straight at the roof of the hotel 2 metres away, more importantly the room stank of food as we were obviously above the kitchen or next to an extractor. The fittings are cheap, especially the bathrooms. Once turned on our shower wouldn't turn off agan. But worst of all was the attitude of the senior staff whose default position seems to be that the customer is always wrong.

In conclusion, this could be a nice hotel, if they charged appropriately for sub-standard rooms, f they upgraded their fittings and, most importantly, trained their staff in how to deal with upset customers. We have stayed in hotels around the world. Sometimes things go wrong, its inevitable. The mark of a good hotel be it a 3 star or 5 star deluxe is that if you complain about something you come away feeling that the staff have done their utmost to help you. And done it with a smile!

PS Bring ear plugs - the sound proofng isn't great between rooms, and the pigeons and church bells can give you a rather early wake up call.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
BellHotel, General Manager at The Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2009

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry and disappointed to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay with us last weekend.

We try to ensure all of our guests are satisfied and on the occasion we do not get this right, we do our up most to solve the problem, unfortunately the Hotel was full through out the Bank Holiday weekend and we were unable to move you to an alternative Room. As soon as we were made aware of the problem with the shower on Saturday morning, we arranged for a plumber to come on site and change the unit. I take on board your comments regarding the fittings but have had very little problems since they were installed. I will investigate the sound proofing issues and look at ways of improving upon this and thank you for raising this with me.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the Food and appreciated the design and refurbishment we have carried out over recent years.

If I can be of any further help or if you would like to discuss this further please feel free to email or phone me direct.

Many Thanks

Matt Collins

Reviewed August 13, 2009

Renovations continuing. Dinner was good. Lots of stairs to bedrooms without a lift but this will be reflected in its star rating. Bedroom window difficult to open and obscured glass giving claustraphobic feel to an otherwise nice room. Bed and linens excellent. Parking difficult.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends