The Salutation Tea Room
Ranked #41 of 55 Restaurants in Sandwich
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Serving freshly baked light bites every day, homemade by The Salutation kitchen team. Scones, cakes, savouries, fresh juices and teas. Our Tea Rooms are now closed for the winter season. However, we are serving freshly made snacks and cream teas in the main house every day.
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a lovely venue for afternoon tea. The afternoon tea is huge so it is worth sharing one between two people. The staff will also be happy to box up any left over cake to take home.
The food is lovely and there is a great variety of cakes and sandwiches. There is also a mix of plain and fruit scones and the earl grey tea is lovely. The presentation of the food is beautiful.
The only let down is that some of the waitresses are a little unprofessional at times. On 3 occasions I have heard immature conversation that should be kept away from the ears of the customers and on one occasion a waitress swore very loudly. We had young children with us so asked her to be more appropriate. She did apologise but laughed as she walked away. It's a shame but with a bit of staff training this would be a perfect venue.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stopped for cream tea - just scones, cream, jam and of course tea. It was good - not remarkable, but no complaints. The cost was ok - average I guess and the staff were fine - again nothing of note to say.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

The tearooms are run by amateurs. When we arrived we asked for a menu as we were seated outside. The young man gave us a paper one with just afternoon tea things on it, then produced a small board with specials on. There were no sandwiches listed, but then later he produced another board for an adjacent table which had the sandwiches on it! I also heard people ordering wine, yet there was nothing on the menu to suggest they sold alcohol at all.

We ordered one afternoon tea. Asked for fruit scones and only one of the scones had fruit in it! They did change it though. However, for two scones with clotted cream and jam and a pot of tea, I felt £8.50 was too steep. I had the cheese platter for £6.50 and it was just ok. The toast they served with it was not crisp. They forgot the ice for the lemonade.

I asked to pay the bill & was told I had to go round to the back of the building and into the indoor area. It was quite clear to the waitress who followed me in (slowly!) that I was struggling to walk with a stick, but she did not offer to take the money in for me - if only to speed things up from their point of view.

This place is a shambles and needs some firm, professional management. There are plenty of other places within a few minutes walk of this place. Wish I had gone to one of them.

1  Thank ukbusinesslady
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We stopped by for a quick sandwich and drink and after asking if they took card, if we could sit down and then had to wait to be served by a single waitress for all the outside tables.

We waited 20mins for our food and two tables who sat down after us had their food before we did. Our order was also wrong.

The food was very poor quality, brown salad, hard white bread, tasteless cheese and my wife's sandwich had egg shell in her sandwich. Also, there was an inordinate amount of butter. The sandwiches were club style but half only contained butter, no filling.

My wife is also currently ill from this too.

It is very obvious that the staff do not care about their jobs or the level of service.

We will not be going back.

3  Thank Brad_McMoon
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited in June for high tea on a busy day. They had already run out of several ingredients. The staff were rushed off their feet and worked hard. Last time we came the staff were smart and formal, but this time it appeared to be staffed by sixthforners, all lovely girls but not the same experience. The scones and sandwiches were very good although we had to ask for more cream and jam as they were not generous with it. They had missed things off the selection.The cakes were sliced in big chunks and were very sickly, not really a 'high tea' style. The bill was wrong when it came. It wasnt cheap but it wasnt a special treat experience either so we will find somewhere else next time.

1  Thank annatripper68