“Great food in a lovely setting.”

The Old Dining Room at The Bell Hotel
Ranked #40 of 54 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Bell for a works do and where really impressed with the staff, the quality of the food (great value for money), the lovely setting we were in a large room with beautifully decorated tables, really good quality for the price. I am a vegetarian and the food choice and quality was really good - would recommend, staff made us feel very welcome and
special.

1  Thank Sj B

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We visited the Bell Hotel for lunch as we have received a Birthday voucher from Shepherd Neame and choose to try it! It was good, not very busy for a Bank Holiday Monday, which in one way was good as parking is usually at a premium and we parked right outside!

The food was good but quite pricey, if we didnt have the voucher it would have been £62.00 for two, we both had 2 courses and 1 alcolholic drink, which we thought was quite steep.

We would return, either with another voucher or just one course!!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

But there are lots of little restaurants nearby that I would recommend eating at rather than the Bell. I had the linguine with green vegetables, the vegetables consisted of less than 1/8th of the dish and the sauce was too rich for me. The fish cakes were very small and the green garnish that came with it was literally a few pieces of green on the fish cakes. The burger did look good though. It's a nice light airy place, so I would recommend coming for a drink here but if you're hungry move on.

1  Thank lfer6f
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This dining room tries hard to deliver a fine dining experience, but falls short, despite its rating in the Michelin Guide. I had the tiger prawns, which were well presented, but underneath the presentation very standard fare. The pork belly again looked good, but the skin was burned rather than seared and the texture fatty and a bit glutinous. The dessert proved to be a bar of rather mediocre chocolate ice cream with some nuts sprinkled on top. Service was charming but rather random throughout, with long waits and items forgotten.

I don't mind the slightly idiosyncratic decoation and the slight atmosphere of faded Victorian glories: but this restaurant needs to focus on the basics of impeccable service and food if it wants to charge double the price of the St Crispin Inn across the road, where the welcome is warmer and the steak and kidney pie unctuous.

1  Thank James_and_Guy
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Living very near sandwich I had surprisingly never been to the bell hotel. I heard good things and booked our staff Christmas dinner. The service, atmosphere, presentation and above all the staff were brilliant. Couldn't fault it at all, even decorating our plates with musical symbols ( we run a music school!) I was so impressed, especially given that we were a huge party they coped wonderfully. We will book again for next year!!

Later that week a friend by coincidence booked 7 Of us for breakfast, it was just as good, staff were attentive, breakfast was yummy and very good value indeed. 5* for everything in my opinion - and I'm usually very picky!!