“Better than London”
Review of Elizavet - CLOSED

Elizavet
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are very proud of our hidden gem. A traditional welcoming family friendly restaurant. We welcome everyone with open arms and pride ourselves on our homemade food and our relaxed atmosphere. This is a real traditional Greek restaurant with the feel of being abroad in one of the Greek islands. We believe that eating out is a treat and our customers are made to feel special.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than London”
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

The food in this restaurant is better than most of the Greek restaurants the staff are so friendly and I highly recommend it visit this restaurant it's amazing and the atmosphere is like being at home in your living room it's so relaxed
Please make sure you visit this restaurant

canterbury-ish
“Dreadful service!”
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We ate here on a Fri night,just 2of us girls. When we arrived there were 4/5 young waitressess standing around the end of the bar area,they spent most of the evening huddled around the bar chatting!
We were offered a choice of table and even offered to try the house wine before commiting to buying a bottle,all great,good start.
Right now the bad bits. We realised as we were most of the way through the wine that after 45mins our 5meze dishes still hadn't appeared,2 of them were cold meme. When asking the girl went off and came back with 2,then after couple mins another 2 eventually the 5th. The meatballs were soggy-yuk,the hummus,well my 7 yr old has made better,stuffed red peppers were crunchy and the feta was still in chunks not even melted! Overall it was very bad food,we never even got a main meal as they never took our order for one although after all the time passed and the bad starters we were rather glad. When clearing our plates we did tell them what we thought and explained that we ate it as after such a long wait we were starving. She said oh ok I will tell the kitchen,then another 2 girls came over and took our empty bottle and asked if everything was ok and again we said not really. Nothing more was said , no one asked if we wanted any mains and I had to go and find someone for the bill. We never knew who our waitress was as when the gaggle of girls did leave the bar area they drifted about to all different tables. We paid,no discount was on the bill, and we had to walk the length of the restaurant to leave,no one said good-bye/night and after finding my own coat we left them to their gossiping.
Total mush-mash of service run by youngsters who have no idea,plus crap food which was very poor value for money. Should have eaten in the crispin where we had our first drink and thought the food looked good!!

2 Thank Ali_poo_9
Dover
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Order a table 2 hours before you want to eat”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We went to the restaurant 3 weeks ago (I have delayed leaving this review as I was not sure if I could be bothered or not) The restaurant had around 16 covers in, which is not many at all. We were shown to a table and were given menus. We placed a drink order and the waitress took our food order. It took 45mins for our starters to come out and then another 50mins for our mains. The food was OK, nothing special. (a member of staff had to run to the local Spar to get some 'authentic Greek food') This was witnessed by 2 customers outside having a smoke, they passed the shopping through the kitchen window. The plated that our food was served on were chipped and not matching. The staff were efficient and attentive, but the food and overall feel was below average. would not go back

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Simon K
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great meal, authentic atmosphere, looking forward to returning”
Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

We visited Elizavet on the Saturday of Easter weekend for the first time. We had booked a few days earlier and it was packed and the buzz in the restaurant was great. The reason for booking is that we frequently visit Greece and find the food an essential aspect of the holiday, after seeing that there was a Greek in Sandwich we could not wait to get down there.

Service was relaxed and not hurried, we felt well looked after without being interrupted. Once food was ordered it came and was delicious. Three starters, followed by a fantastic Stifado, accompanied by good Greek wine made the meal complete.

Th restaurant was very busy but managed to pull off an authentic Greek feel, with the food and drinks interspersed with great conversation, the whole affair being relaxed and enjoyable. It made us feel like we were back on holiday. All around seemed to be having a great time, we even managed to practice our Greek.

Hope to return to Sandwich soon and will be back for dinner.....soon!

1 Thank cherylhinton
Maidstone
“Birthday meal to remember”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Just got back home from Elizavet in Sandwich & wished we's stayed in instead!

Saturday lunchtime was very quiet & there was only two other couples in the restaurant. The waitress that initially served us had paint all over her hands & when I pointed out to her that her hands were dirty she replied "yes, I've been decorating"!! We wondered when she last washed her hands!

We ordered a 7-plate mezze & as we are vegetarians, we were dismayed when a plate of what looked like meatballs were served-up. We weren't sure what this dish was, so my wife tried a little piece & it turned out to be lamb meatballs! When we told the waitress that they had given us the wrong dish & that we were more than a little upset over having a meat dish served up to us, this was shrugged-off with a smile but no apology.

The plates that the various dishes were served on were chipped & not matching, they gave a poor impression of what was to come. The portion size was tiny & I'm glad it was just a lunchtime meal we had booked & not an evening, as we both left feeling hungry.

When it was time to pay our bill, I knew it would be around £30 or so. When I received the bill, it was for £41, I then realised the waitress had added several drinks & deserts onto our bill. When I called her over to explain, she said in a very dismissing manner that "I know, I've given you their bill by mistake"! There was only one other couple in the place by this time, so I'd hate to think what it must be like when it's busy.

Overall his place is over-priced, the portion size is tiny & the service is terrible.

I would not recommend & would not go back.

• Visited April 2012