All reviews canterbury suite hot tub oast house stable block fairy lights kent countryside beautiful countryside lounge area original features perfect setting beautiful room wine list four poster evening meal romantic break following morning cooked to perfection
Reviewed February 21, 2010

If you are not a real dog lover don't stay here!. We had dog hair all over the bedroom floor from a previous guest and a resident dog barking outside our door when we were trying to get to sleep! A real shame as the bedroom was very nice apart from this.
We ate in the restaurant which I think is very overpriced for what is, nice but quite amateurish for the price charged.
Breakfast was excellent though in very nice surroundings - again a little off putting to see dogs trotting in and out of the hotel kitchen though.

Date of stay: January 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
JeffMoodyPluckley, Owner at Elvey Farm, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2010

Whilst all negative reviews are upsetting, this one is perhaps the most distressing, as it concerns our lovely dog Scubie!

This lady is clearly not a dog lover, which is absolutely fine, but we make no bones of the fact that we're a dog-friendly guesthouse. Guests bring their dogs, and they play with Scubie. Most guests absolutely love having Scubie around the place, and they certainly enjoy bringing their dogs on holiday with them. Scubie is a loveable, friendly Golden Retriever, who greets all guests and spends her life being cuddled and coddled by residents. Spoilt or what!

In hindsight, this probably is the wrong guesthouse for this particular guest.

It's disappointing that this guest describes our restaurant as "overpriced" and "amateur". I guess this is a subjective opinion. I personally am very proud of the wonderful menu of old-fashioned Kentish recipes we've created, all with fresh, local, seasonal produce. The restaurant has a great reputation, and I am very proud of all our staff, who work so hard to produce such beautiful food and service. I would never in a million years refer to their work as "amateur", but we're all entitled to our opinion, and I do thank this lady for her comments.

The only thing I will say is: dogs are NEVER EVER allowed in the kitchen. The door to which she refers leads to a corridor that links the dining room with the kitchen and with our private house. Scubie may well have been spotted in this corridor, but she will have "trotting" from our house, not the kitchen.

One again, I'd like to thank this lady for her review, and apologise that she wasn't happy with the dogs.

Reviewed February 18, 2010

We stayed at Elvey Farm over the valentines weekend. It was perfect. A beautiful hotel in a beautiful location. The staff were very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The room was lovely. The food was delicious. A highly recommended hotel which we will definitely return to again.

Date of stay: February 2010
Reviewed January 20, 2010

We stayed at Elvey Farm for my 40th birthday. We had the Canterbury Suite in the converted stable block, with a spacious wet room w power shower and the use of a priavte jacuzzi at the end of a farm path. The waiting staff in the restaurant were most friendly, and whilst the meal was expensive, I certainly felt it was worth it. Simon was v welcoming and there was a lovely pub down the road. Recommended.

Date of stay: January 2010
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We booked Elvey Farm as an overnight stop on route to the channel tunnel as we were looking for something a little more comfortable for an overnight stop rather than a functional Travelodge. When we arrived we were received by the chef and told that we had been upgraded as the room we were booked in had a burst pipe. Our upgrade was to one of the two rooms in the Oast House. The room was a decent size, but there were several things that let it down. The bed was a standard 4' 6'' bed with an annoying footboard which meant us having to sleep diagonally on a very poor matress. The bathroom was very cold and had an electric fan heater on a timer that rattled painfully and was something out of the 1970s. The radiator rattled all night. The hotel is obviously in a poor reception area as the freeview TV had very few channels and there was no mobile signal. The hotel's own free wireless internet did not reach the room we stayed in.
The restaurant itself is a nice room, but the food did not match the surroundings and was a bit mediocre.
It wasn't until later in the bar I happened to mention to the barman that we would be leaving early in the morning at 7.30am, it was then that we were informed breakfast wasn't served that early on a Saturday but we could acces the breakfas room for cereals if we wanted. It was then that we were asked to pay in full for the stay.

Date of stay: December 2009
2  Thank Abs64
Reviewed December 4, 2009

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I had very high expectations of Elvey Farm. I have to say that I was not dissappointed.

The best things:

The room
The slipper bath tub
The service
The breakfast
Scoobie

I would agree with all the previous comments. The service is fantastic. The rooms tastefully decorated. It was a really special night away for my girlfriend and I. We also ate dinner in the restaurant which was very good.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that neither the room nor the restaurant are particularly cheap. Not the world's greatest value but a pleasurable indulgence nonetheless.

Finally, I would strongly recommend the World Heritage Foundation which is nearby for their Big Cat Experience. Truly remarkable.

Date of stay: November 2009