“Worth every penny!”

Elvey Farm
London, England, United Kingdom
“Worth every penny!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I arranged to stay at Elvey Farm for my husbands birthday as a special surprise, and how very special it turned out to be! We stayed at Elvey in the Hawkhurst room back when we got married, but this time I decided to go the whole hog and have the Canterbury suite! We had an amazing dinner in the restaurant and all staff managed to keep the secret going for the evening until I told him we wouldn't be going home but in fact staying! We had a fantastic time in the Hot tub and after returned to the room where we were treated to double shower, super king bed (super comfortable) double ended bath, beautiful decor, double sinks, chaise lounge.... It was truly luxurious! The following morning I woke early not wanting to waste any time sleeping and woke my husband to get him back in the hot tub! We wanted to get the benefit of the view in the daylight. I drove home (5 mins away) and picked up our daughter from nannies! We then went back to all hop into the hot tub! Then, breakfast back in the restaurant, where staff couldn't have been more hospitable with our little addition! All round a truly fantastic evening, night and morning had by all. Can't wait to plan our next trip there! Thank you to.all the lovely staff who made it what it was!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Checked in with owner Simon at reception, who showed us to our room. As it was our 20th Wedding Anniversary, we treated ourselves to a stay in the wonderful Canterbury Suite!

Wow! What an awesome room! Everything in it was large and spacious, from the bed to the bath to the shower! Loved it. Great range of teas & coffee's in the room.

Used the hot tub, which was fabulous, despite it spitting with rain! Great views from it!

Breakfast the following morning was delicious! Just felt that bit more special knowing they were using all local produce. The vast array of jams was great and the traditional Kentish breakfast was yummy!

All in all a memorable stay and am sure we'll be back! Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We visited for a meal on our wedding anniversary (have been a coupe of times before), and the meal was lovely. It seemed to us that they had really taken time to choose and source the ingredients, thought about what to put on the menu and made a lot of effort with both the cooking and presentation of the food. We all had steak and it literally melted in the mouth. The home made ice cream was too die for! Would definately visit again (and again....).

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have stayed here twice this year- overall we have stayed here 4 times. It's such a warm inviting venue. I'll review the last time we stayed as it's the most recent (although still a late review). We had a room in the stable block- lovely cosy room, and dog friendly too! Love the fact the dogs get treats on arrival too! :).

A truly wonderful place to spend a night...or two!! Really can't recommend it enough for a special occasion.

Food in the restaurant is always such a high standard- my steak this time was a real highlight, although I have never had a bad meal here. Breakfast is also of a really high standard and the staff are only too happy to help with any question or request!

Room Tip: Having stayed in the Oast rooms as well as the Stable Block, I would really rate the Oast house room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Iver
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The accommodation was great, couldn't fault it. The restaurant was really poor. No bread rolls for the soup, we don't do bread rolls, later she told me that she could bring me sliced bread, I think even chip shops have sliced bread. My wife had the Duck and it was so over-cooked that it tasted of liver. I had the Traditional Roast dinner. The potatoes had been cooked at least once before and re-heated just for me, unless some other poor soul was unfortunate enough to order the same. There was no sauce, jus or gravy served with the yorkshire pudding and if I had wanted to scratch the inside of my throat it was certainly crisp enough to do that, without gravy. We didn't want to risk a sweet course.

We would go back to stay at Elvey Farm, but as long as the woman who seems to run the Restaurant, works there, then we would not eat there and make sure we had bought sandwiches from Tesco which wasn't far away.

As bad as the food was, the cooked breakfast was surprisingly good, although it was received with apprehension.

I have put the value was poor, but that was only because of the abysmal dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Devon Uk
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Spent few nights here in july 2013, it was idyllic. The weather was beautiful so this added to the experience. This is a really pretty farm hotel/restaurant, very picturesque. We had one of the two rooms in the converted barn opposite the main entrance, it was lovely, apart from the copious amounts of long blonde hair gathered under the dressing table, not real hair I think! The room was very big, spacious with lots of beams and pillars , it was a really well done conversion and a very big bathroom with shower and separate big bath. During the hot weather it had the benefit of two doors on either side of the room so there was a lovely breeze, but at night did not feel I could leave doors open and there was no window to get air into the room, so we got very hot.
We had dinner in the restaurant on one night which was excellent. Lovely restaurant, with beams etc, real character. Very polite and friendly staff. Wish we had dinner there another night as we did not enjoy dinner in the pub nearest to them Another good find by my husband who spends hours looking for different places to stay

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank torquaytourist
JeffMoodyPluckley, Owner at Elvey Farm, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I’m really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am slightly concerned that you found copious amounts of long blonde hair under the dressing table, I will certainly speak to the housekeeping team to make sure they clean properly under there. With regards to the lack of a window that can be left open we are aware of this issue but at present we don’t know quite how to resolve it. The planning permission for the granary conversion took us two years to get passed – originally they didn’t want us to put any windows in the building so we did quite well to get the doors that we have got. Of course as the farm is in the middle of nowhere you would be perfectly safe to leave the top of the stable door open over night, but I understand that some people might not feel comfortable with this. We will continue to work on a solution to the problem.
Surrey
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Firstly, let me just say that on initial appearances we loved Elvey Farm. The staff are really friendly and helpful and even managed to track down chocolate brownies for us in the afternoon. The room looked exactly like it did in the pictures and the location is idyllic. The Darling Buds of May walk is lovely and our dog really enjoyed it.

So now on to the niggles. Sorry! We stayed in the Sevenoaks suite because we have a dog and it was really nice. However there were three spiders in the main room with cobwebs that had clearly been there some time. The Sevenoaks suite is situated right next to the bar and therefore if folk finish their meals in the restaurant and retire to the bar for drinks you can pretty much hear every conversation especially if they have had a few vinos and the volume is raised! Whilst the bathroom is lovely, there is a definite knack to turning the temperature dial so just be persistent! Unfortunately the bed wasn't as comfy as we have experienced elsewhere. During the night the fairly lifeless and not overly fluffy duvet escaped from it's cover and in the morning, when we checked, the duvet itself was very thin and ragged with tears in it. Finally, at breakfast, if you want toast, it's a do-it-yourself affair and there was a queue. There were only twelve breakfast diners in the restaurant and yet it took fifteen minutes to get my toast done. The helpful but rushed waitress told me they only had four toast racks so she had to whip round looking for one and there is only one four slot toaster. Perhaps it's time to invest in some more toast racks and an extra toaster?

We don't mean to be picky but the little things added up and that's why we can only give Elvey a three out of five. This is such a shame. We hope that Elvey see our criticisms as constructive though and not meant as mean minded.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BCJC
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I’m sorry there were cobwebs in your room – it feels like a constant battle between the housekeeping team and the spiders. They do love a good beam to hide in, but we do try to keep on top of them. The Stable Block Suites were converted from the old Stables back in the early 1980s – in fact Sevenoaks used to be the Tack Room. Since we took over the building we have done a considerable amount of work to try and better sound proof the building and over time there are still more things that we can do to upgrade the original conversion work. I’m sorry to hear there were noisy customers in the bar next door, but you must have been really unlucky as we most of our guests are pretty well behaved!

I absolutely take your point about the duvet and pillows in the room – they are past their best and I have already ordered new ones. As for breakfast, we can certainly buy more toast racks. Of course the amount of time that it takes to make your toast will depend on how many people are in at breakfast at any given time. Some mornings people come down in a steady flow and the demand for the toaster is not huge. Other mornings everyone turns up at once and the ‘toast queue’ will be longer. Despite this I still feel it is much nicer for guests to be able to make their own toast and choose from the wide selection of home-made jams on offer than it is for luke warm toast to be presented from the kitchen (which has always been my experience of toast in large hotels).

Constructive criticism is always well received here at Elvey, so thank you once again for taking the time to leave your review. We hope to see you again one day and improve on the three star review!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pluckley
Little Silver Country Hotel
Premier Inn Ashford North
Premier Inn Ashford North
#1 of 2 in Hothfield
Ashford International Hotel

Been to Elvey Farm? Share your experiences!