All reviews canterbury suite hot tub oast house stable block fairy lights kent countryside country lane beautiful countryside lounge area original features perfect setting beautiful room wine list four poster evening meal romantic break following morning
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed last weekend, for one night, food was lovely and the room ( Whitstable) was stunning, Staff were friendly and professional.
The single reason for my giving a 4 rather than 5 rating is that you could definitely hear guests in the next room, I have read this comment before by another poster on TA, and to be honest had I not had a few nightcaps that would have bothered me and kept me awake, even if the peeps weren't talking late in to the night I would be listening out for it. The owners have clearly stated that these are old buildings and personally, I think that rooms are so beautiful that most guests would over look the noise issue, its a problem for me as I live in a maisonette and getting away from other peoples noise is the entire reason for me taking a break, and its not that exessive to be honest. (especially as you consider that on this occasion I was definately in a glass house throwing stones, given that I am afraid I was rather boozy and embarrasingly was asked, in the most tactful way, to keep it down in the bar area!)

1  Thank emmasmumLondon
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband booked a nights stay and dinner at Elvey Farm. This was our first visit. It was perfect, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the whole setting is just beautiful. Dinner was excellent, there is a good choice and it is perfectly cooked and presented. It was lovely waking up to silence.
Breakfast was absolutly delicious using all locally sourced produce and it was great to read on the menu where the food came from.
There was one little complaint, although it did not spoil our weekend, my husband had booked The Faversham Suite and when we arrived we were told there had been a major leak and it was in the process of being fixed. We were put in The Oast House which was lovely, but I do think an email advising of this change would have been nice, unless of course it had just happened.
As I said it certainly did not ruin our weekend and it was great sleeping in a round room with our own sitting room downstairs.
A big thank you to all the staff who made us feel very welcome. We will revisit in the future.

Room tip: The Oast House has it own sitting room, which is nice to lounge around and read the papers.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank BarkingBug
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I went to Pluckley from Sunday evening and stayed for 2 nights in the Penshurst Suite. I cannot rave enough about this place and we are very seasoned travellers! Amazing scenery, gorgeous room, peace and tranquility throughout and you are left in total peace. The staff are out of this world and cannot do enough to help, should you require it. However, they also leave you to your own devices if you wish. The food is fantastic and breakfasts to die for!! This is a real must - within 5 minutes of arriving we were incredibly relaxed and London seems like a million miles away!! We want to recommend this very highly but also feel the need to keep this gem to ourselves for when we want to escape again. We are already planning our next trip back.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am in two minds about this place. The location is lovely and the accomodation full of chraracter but there is something that does not quite work. The restaurant and bar are open to locals, which of course they must be to remain viable, but the clash between those looking for a quiet stay and those wanting to treat the place more like a pub is evident.
On arrival I walked towards the barn-style building and noticed that I was being gazed at by a group who were drinking through an open bar/restaurant window, the gaze became quite an unpleasant stare that did not drop as I entered the building, an experience more akin to a Friday night at the local pub than a B&B. We were shown to our room, the Broadstairs suite, which was clean and comfortable and quite charming though the bath requires some repair work. We began to settle in but it soon became apparent that our room was directly above the bar and the noise was awful, almost every word could be heard with crystal clarity. The noise continued for about three hours until about six o'clock. We tried to drown it out by watching the television for a while but the digital reception was poor and we lost the signal on numerous occasions making it unwatchable.
We booked into the restaurant and found the meal to be very good, the menu was very limited due to it being a Sunday and as such traditional roast dinner was the focus. We spoke to a member of staff (I shall not mention any names here to spare any blushes) about the noise coming from beneath our room and we were told that a particular local enjoys drinking the bar dry on a Sunday. While I understand that it is important to be a financial success and to this end it is important to appeal to as many people as possible I also think there is a danger of being a 'jack of all trades' but 'master of none'. If I had wanted a pub-crawl I would not have booked into a B&B in the Kent countryside.
After a good nights sleep we went for breakfast and I must say this is something that Elvey Farm does very well. The produce is superb and it really comes through, everything from the coffee to the sausages is just perfect, my only crticism here would be that it is so good that I was left wanting more but that's probably greed on my part rather than a lack of generosity.
I can't describe Elvey Farm in a nut shell because although the staff, food, location and accomodation are very good there is a feel about the place which is a little impersonal and unwelcoming almost as though you're gatecrashing a party and it is for this reason I would not return, a shame really becuse there is so much that is good.

Room tip: Avoid the Broadstairs suite. Too noisy.
2  Thank Pupe-Magraw
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent one night here prior to using the Shuttle. When we were shown the room, it was so cosy and low-lit and had classical music playing – I was bowled over! Just lovely with exposed beams, a spacious wet-room style bathroom, good selection of tea and coffee, the only thing I could fault were the rather skimpy curtains which let in rather a lot of light and a curtain over the door would have been good as it didn’t fit very tightly.

The evening meal was delicious, using local produce, as was the breakfast. Staff were really pleasant and helpful too. I would thoroughly recommend this place and would love to come back in summer.

Date of stay: March 2013