All reviewscanterbury suitehot tuboast housestable blockfairy lightskent countrysidecountry lanebeautiful countrysidelounge areaoriginal featuresbeautiful roomfour posterwine listromantic breakfollowing morningcooked to perfectionbirthday treat
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband booked a nights stay and dinner at Elvey Farm. This was our first visit. It was perfect, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the whole setting is just beautiful. Dinner was excellent, there is a good choice and it is perfectly cooked and presented. It was lovely waking up to silence.
Breakfast was absolutly delicious using all locally sourced produce and it was great to read on the menu where the food came from.
There was one little complaint, although it did not spoil our weekend, my husband had booked The Faversham Suite and when we arrived we were told there had been a major leak and it was in the process of being fixed. We were put in The Oast House which was lovely, but I do think an email advising of this change would have been nice, unless of course it had just happened.
As I said it certainly did not ruin our weekend and it was great sleeping in a round room with our own sitting room downstairs.
A big thank you to all the staff who made us feel very welcome. We will revisit in the future.

Room Tip: The Oast House has it own sitting room, which is nice to lounge around and read the papers.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BarkingBug
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I went to Pluckley from Sunday evening and stayed for 2 nights in the Penshurst Suite. I cannot rave enough about this place and we are very seasoned travellers! Amazing scenery, gorgeous room, peace and tranquility throughout and you are left in total peace. The staff are out of this world and cannot do enough to help, should you require it. However, they also leave you to your own devices if you wish. The food is fantastic and breakfasts to die for!! This is a real must - within 5 minutes of arriving we were incredibly relaxed and London seems like a million miles away!! We want to recommend this very highly but also feel the need to keep this gem to ourselves for when we want to escape again. We are already planning our next trip back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am in two minds about this place. The location is lovely and the accomodation full of chraracter but there is something that does not quite work. The restaurant and bar are open to locals, which of course they must be to remain viable, but the clash between those looking for a quiet stay and those wanting to treat the place more like a pub is evident.
On arrival I walked towards the barn-style building and noticed that I was being gazed at by a group who were drinking through an open bar/restaurant window, the gaze became quite an unpleasant stare that did not drop as I entered the building, an experience more akin to a Friday night at the local pub than a B&B. We were shown to our room, the Broadstairs suite, which was clean and comfortable and quite charming though the bath requires some repair work. We began to settle in but it soon became apparent that our room was directly above the bar and the noise was awful, almost every word could be heard with crystal clarity. The noise continued for about three hours until about six o'clock. We tried to drown it out by watching the television for a while but the digital reception was poor and we lost the signal on numerous occasions making it unwatchable.
We booked into the restaurant and found the meal to be very good, the menu was very limited due to it being a Sunday and as such traditional roast dinner was the focus. We spoke to a member of staff (I shall not mention any names here to spare any blushes) about the noise coming from beneath our room and we were told that a particular local enjoys drinking the bar dry on a Sunday. While I understand that it is important to be a financial success and to this end it is important to appeal to as many people as possible I also think there is a danger of being a 'jack of all trades' but 'master of none'. If I had wanted a pub-crawl I would not have booked into a B&B in the Kent countryside.
After a good nights sleep we went for breakfast and I must say this is something that Elvey Farm does very well. The produce is superb and it really comes through, everything from the coffee to the sausages is just perfect, my only crticism here would be that it is so good that I was left wanting more but that's probably greed on my part rather than a lack of generosity.
I can't describe Elvey Farm in a nut shell because although the staff, food, location and accomodation are very good there is a feel about the place which is a little impersonal and unwelcoming almost as though you're gatecrashing a party and it is for this reason I would not return, a shame really becuse there is so much that is good.

Room Tip: Avoid the Broadstairs suite. Too noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pupe-Magraw
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent one night here prior to using the Shuttle. When we were shown the room, it was so cosy and low-lit and had classical music playing – I was bowled over! Just lovely with exposed beams, a spacious wet-room style bathroom, good selection of tea and coffee, the only thing I could fault were the rather skimpy curtains which let in rather a lot of light and a curtain over the door would have been good as it didn’t fit very tightly.

The evening meal was delicious, using local produce, as was the breakfast. Staff were really pleasant and helpful too. I would thoroughly recommend this place and would love to come back in summer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at Elvey Farm this last Saturday night. The location was quite convenient and even though the weather wasn't great we were able to enjoy the peaceful surroundings. The menu was varied and the fresh local produce was evident in the delicious meals me and my partner both enjoyed.

The room was a good size with a nice lounge area and a lovely deep bath. Beds were comfy and we both had a nice relaxed nights sleep. All the staff were very kind and courteous as well.

Would definitely recommend (and already have to several friends and coworkers) and hope to come back again for another stay in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013