All reviews canterbury suite hot tub oast house stable block fairy lights kent countryside country lane beautiful countryside lounge area original features beautiful room four poster wine list romantic break following morning cooked to perfection birthday treat
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We booked an overnight stay at Elvey Farm via Red Letter Days and it was lovely - arriving to a friendly greeting from the reception staff. Our room was so cosy (despite the driving rain and wind, it was kept really warm) and I loved the décor. I'm not a great fan of wet-rooms, but for a single night, it's fine.
We dined at the pub "next-door" (it's a 10 min walk to the main road from Elvey Farm's driveway, so very convenient as we were both wanting to have a drink) so I can't comment on Elvey Farm's restaurant for dinner... but their breakfast was really superb, and we were attended to *so* well. We even wanted to buy the jam that was served, so the owner went out of his way to advise us on where we might find some, as their own stocks were low.
Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff and shown to our room, The Faversham suite. First impressions were wow, especially the four poster bed and the beamed ceilings, however upon closer inspection we soon discovered that the room was in need of a good clean, the lamps and the panelling behind the bed were extremely dusty and there were a few cobwebs that needed removing.
The wet room has had it's day and is in need of renovation and when we used the toilet brush after using the loo, it was absolutely disgusting and needs immediate replacing.
The lights outside the room were also not working and the room was in darkness at night.
We ate in the restaurant which was very nice as were the staff, and this I can find no fault with however at breakfast we were sat next to a warm radiator and when we asked to move tables the member of staff serving us seemed quite put out.
Overall this is a lovely place for a short break and could be close to perfection if these few simple niggles were dealt with.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Peter40peter40
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was our second stay at Elvey Farm and once again we enjoyed a peacefull relaxed stay with our dog Carla. The room was spotlesly clean which is all you can ask.The restaurant food is excellent and we dined there on both nights as that was part of our deal.There was a slight feeling that we were more of a 'number' than a welcome guest as opposed to our last visit and I really hope that we are wrong about this,you only have to look at the other reviews to see how good this place is!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveDSW
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A great place to escape the London madness. It only took us an hour to get there from East London. We drove down in time for Sunday lunch (a fabulous roast) and then settled in for a relaxing evening as the snow started to fall.
Elvey Farm is a beautiful old pub with cosy and elegant rooms. Everything was pitched right: The fire flickered in the hearth when we came in. Our room was warm and beautifully decorated.
We brought our dog and he was made to feel right at home with biscuits and a note from the owners!
Food is locally sourced and delicious. Highly recommend the local Kent sparkling wine while warming yourself at the fire! This is a proper English experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anne c
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Elvey Farm was a treat from my girlfriend for my birthday a couple of years ago. Upon arrival things looked promising, the room was nice and clean and we had the room with the hot tub, which was a little walk away from the room but still a nice touch. I was looking forward to my birthday meal and unfortunately this was where the experience was lost, we had an older waitress with a bit of an attitude. The food was o.k. I did nearly brake my teeth on a couple of buckshot pellets that was left in the pigeon! I did tell the waitress about this for any other guests choosing the pigeon option and she said "What do you expect" stared at me then walked off. We had desert to finish the night off and then asked for the bill, the waitress asked if we wanted coffee to which we declined, the same waitress came back 5 minutes later minus the bill and asked again "coffee" we said no again just the bill please, it was not busy so am unsure where the confusion was coming from. Then coffee was brought over by another waitress, I said we didn't order or actually want the coffee that was mistakenly given to us, she seemed confused as the older waitress was sure we had ordered coffee and then came back to the table and said "Coffee" we said again no we wanted the bill not coffee. The coffee was taken away with a huff by the waitress. The next day at checkout we was charged for the coffee's to which we just paid as we wanted to leave and enjoy the rest of the day and not waste anymore time trying to explain to the staff. Maybe the waitress was having a bad day or maybe a communication course is needed but it ruined the experience for my girfriend and I. A real shame as the location and surroundings were nice but the service and food were not great.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
JeffMoodyPluckley, Owner at Elvey Farm, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to review us - I always appreciate a guest taking the time to give us feedback - however, in this case, I am a bit puzzled. You stayed with us in August 2012, yet didn't review us until February 2013, a good 8 months later..

I am genuinely sorry if there was a mix-up with your coffee, but as this happened 8 months before you reviewed us, it's not really possible for me to investigate the problem. I can't even work out who the "older waitress" is, as such a long time has passed.

Whilst I genuinely welcome feedback, I wonder whether the mix-up could have been dealt with better at the time, rather than waiting over half a year to bring it to everyone's attention?