All reviewscanterbury suitehot tuboast housestable blockfairy lightskent countrysidecountry lanebeautiful countrysidelounge areaoriginal featuresbeautiful roomfour posterwine listromantic breakfollowing morningcooked to perfectionbirthday treat
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was our second stay at Elvey Farm and once again we enjoyed a peacefull relaxed stay with our dog Carla. The room was spotlesly clean which is all you can ask.The restaurant food is excellent and we dined there on both nights as that was part of our deal.There was a slight feeling that we were more of a 'number' than a welcome guest as opposed to our last visit and I really hope that we are wrong about this,you only have to look at the other reviews to see how good this place is!

1  Thank DaveDSW
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A great place to escape the London madness. It only took us an hour to get there from East London. We drove down in time for Sunday lunch (a fabulous roast) and then settled in for a relaxing evening as the snow started to fall.
Elvey Farm is a beautiful old pub with cosy and elegant rooms. Everything was pitched right: The fire flickered in the hearth when we came in. Our room was warm and beautifully decorated.
We brought our dog and he was made to feel right at home with biscuits and a note from the owners!
Food is locally sourced and delicious. Highly recommend the local Kent sparkling wine while warming yourself at the fire! This is a proper English experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank anne c
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Elvey Farm was a treat from my girlfriend for my birthday a couple of years ago. Upon arrival things looked promising, the room was nice and clean and we had the room with the hot tub, which was a little walk away from the room but still a nice touch. I was looking forward to my birthday meal and unfortunately this was where the experience was lost, we had an older waitress with a bit of an attitude. The food was o.k. I did nearly brake my teeth on a couple of buckshot pellets that was left in the pigeon! I did tell the waitress about this for any other guests choosing the pigeon option and she said "What do you expect" stared at me then walked off. We had desert to finish the night off and then asked for the bill, the waitress asked if we wanted coffee to which we declined, the same waitress came back 5 minutes later minus the bill and asked again "coffee" we said no again just the bill please, it was not busy so am unsure where the confusion was coming from. Then coffee was brought over by another waitress, I said we didn't order or actually want the coffee that was mistakenly given to us, she seemed confused as the older waitress was sure we had ordered coffee and then came back to the table and said "Coffee" we said again no we wanted the bill not coffee. The coffee was taken away with a huff by the waitress. The next day at checkout we was charged for the coffee's to which we just paid as we wanted to leave and enjoy the rest of the day and not waste anymore time trying to explain to the staff. Maybe the waitress was having a bad day or maybe a communication course is needed but it ruined the experience for my girfriend and I. A real shame as the location and surroundings were nice but the service and food were not great.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
JeffMoodyPluckley, Owner at Elvey Farm, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to review us - I always appreciate a guest taking the time to give us feedback - however, in this case, I am a bit puzzled. You stayed with us in August 2012, yet didn't review us until February 2013, a good 8 months later..

I am genuinely sorry if there was a mix-up with your coffee, but as this happened 8 months before you reviewed us, it's not really possible for me to investigate the problem. I can't even work out who the "older waitress" is, as such a long time has passed.

Whilst I genuinely welcome feedback, I wonder whether the mix-up could have been dealt with better at the time, rather than waiting over half a year to bring it to everyone's attention?

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I surprised my husband with an overnight getaway at Elvey Farm. We haven't had a night to ourselves since giving birth to my son in March 2012. I met him after work, told him he wasn't going in tomorrow and to drive where I told him. We ended up at Elvey Farm, and it exceeded our expectations! I was so thrilled to be staying there. We stayed in Tenterden Suite and it was so beautiful!! They seem to have changed the room around a bit since it's slightly different in the picture on their website. I actually like the set-up that we got. My hubby wanted a more casual dinner so we cancelled our reservation at the restaurant and ate at the pub just up the road. When we checked in, I regretted cancelling as it smelled SO GOOD! This morning we had a lovely breakfast of local food (and the bacon was out of this world!). We didn't realize that the breakfast was included in our stay so we were thrilled to find that out. It was a really excellent breakfast.

My ONLY criticism would be the Wet Room. IT was a lovely bathroom but if you needed to use the toilet after someone showered, your feet would get all wet!

Thank you so much to Simon for matching the Redletterdays price for us. We will DEFINITELY be back!!

1  Thank JudahandHannah
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We really loved our stay here, so relaxing. Ideal, if you have a dog as you can walk across the fields. The food in the restaurant was amazing. Great as a haven away from the world. Would also recommend the rose and crown pub up the road, great log fire and home cooked food. Very hard to fault....only criticisms are no dressing gowns provided and no wifi in our room. But small points to an otherwise perfect stay.