“Atmospheric elvey farm”

Elvey Farm
london
“Atmospheric elvey farm”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We treated ourselves to a night at Elvey Farm and much to our surprise were upgraded to a beautiful room with stunning bathroom! The only downside was that the weather was awful and you have to go outside and walk to the main building, this is not good in the pouring rain.
The food was wonderful and the staff lovely.

2 Thank littlemisssmokey
JeffMoodyPluckley, Owner at Elvey Farm, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Sorry about the weather! Elvey Farm is a collection of converted farm buildings, so I'm afraid a walk in the rain to get to dinner is inevitable, sometimes. Hope it didn't ruin things for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Ashford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

An absolutely glorious location! With attentive staff. Fantastic food and ambience. Very good value for money, lovely choice of suites. Brilliant that they source food locally, so reasonable. Had a lovely stay, quiet relaxing environment, gorgeous characterful room. Shame that due to excessive wet weather meant poor drainage and bad drain smell permeated suite, accompanied by some lethargic flies, but staff did everything they could within their control. Wet room could do with some refreshing, but still wonderful in comparison to other hotels we've stayed in!

1 Thank Emma P
I'm so sorry you experienced problems with drainage and with flies. They can be a bit of a nightmare out in the country, but I'm surprised there were any left by Christmas. I'm glad our staff dealt with the situation well, and that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've stayed at Elvey Farm twice now in Dec, both times being my birthday....We stayed in the Penshurst the first time (lovely) and the Catebury the second (gorgeous)
It is really quiet and chilled and sitting by the log fire with a drink listening to xmas songs
Everything was great although did have a couple of niggles for my second visit and think sometimes a bit of constructive feedback is good...

The staff were not smiley and personal which you would expect in a place like that, although the owners were lovely and so was the young boy working at the bar when we were there, it was my birthday and there was no comments or maybe a chocolate or a message wishing me a happy birthday...I know that sounds precious but there was the first time...

This was my main biggy - The canterbury suite is supposed be the best in the house but the bed is awful, everything is perefcto but the bed was clearly bought on budget, matress was soft as anything with no substance and felt cheap and we were laying on a slant, duvet was and pillows were flat and just not comfortable, we didn't sleep a wink and were tossing and turning all night both waking up with aches and pains....I know that sounds extra but it's true, we ended up putting the pillows at the end f the bed to try and find some comfort and sleep the other way..

Other than that, it's lovely and would go back to The Canterbury if the bed was changed

Thanks

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm very disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your second stay as much as the first. And I'm particularly sorry that the staff weren't as friendly. I shall be having words. Our staff are genuinely extremely friendly and happy. I'm sorry that wasn't your experience.

After receiving your review, I treated myself to a night in the Canterbury Suite - research purposes, of course. And I have to say, I found the bed very comfortable, and had the best night's sleep in ages. In general, the feedback from guests in that room, is that the bed is great. I'm sorry that this wasn't your experience. I have turned over the mattress and bought new pillows, which I hope might help. Sorry I can't do anything more - and I'm sorry that you didn't get a good night's sleep
London
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My boyfriend booked a surprise one-night stay at Elvey Farm a couple of weeks ago and as a special treat he chose the 'Canterbury Suite' which is located away from the main building and in a beautifully converted barn. The room was beyond amazing with modern fixtures and fittings but it is very tastefully done and retains many stunning original features such as wooden beams. The room has a large and spacious bathroom with a large double shower, standalone bath and even twin sinks! The King size bed was very clean and comfortable. We couldnt find even a single speck of dust, honestly this was the most immaculate room we have ever stayed in so the cleaning staff are obviously doing an amazing job!
We made full use of the hot tub which is located a short walk away, in a very private and secluded area and even though it was rather chilly outside, the hot tub was so lovely and warm that we didnt feel the chill air whatsoever- very relaxing to sit underneath the stars with nothing but the sounds of crickets to keep you company!
We has a quick cup of coffee in the morning in a very cosy and welcoming dining room, and although we are not big 'breakfast' people, we did have a quick peek at the cooked breakfast of the couple sitting next to us and it looked scrummy!- a good choice of cereals, juice, fruit and locally sourced products, we cannot fault it.
The only thing that somewhat tarnished what would have otherwise been a 'gold standard' review was feeling a little disappointed with some of the hospitality we encountered. Due to having a family emergency during the day, we arrived late (around 9pm) but my boyfriend did call reception to let them know - they were very accomodating and said we could still make use of the room if we managed to get there. Unbeknownst to me, my boyfriend had emailed when booking the room and had asked for a bottle of wine to be left in the room (so we could enjoy it in the hot tub!) but once we had arrived and settled in for a few moments, we realised there was no wine left for us, cue a one hour round-trip to the nearest 24hr supermarket!
Also, my boyfriend commented on the hospitality he received upon checking out the next morning. The lady on reception was sitting on a computer looking at Facebook and simply said 'Ok thanks' when he handed the keys over. Considering we had booked the most expensive room in the hotel, he was a little taken aback that he was not asked anything along the lines of 'How was your stay?' or 'Was everything ok for you?'.
As we have both worked in the hospitality industry for many years, we understand the importance of giving a great first AND last impression and left feeling a little underwhelmed because of this. We 'ummed and erred' for quite a while before leaving this review as we did not want to sound overtly negative (because overall the place is fantastic!) but decided to leave truthful comments because quite often, negative feedback is the more useful, we hope you agree!
Having said that we really loved the room and would very much like to visit Elvey Farm again (earlier this time!) and cannot wait to get back in that hot tub!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PortlyRabbit
I'm sorry that you had problems during your stay. I do remember you rang to say you would be arriving very late, or possibly not arriving at all, so we deliberately didn't leave the champagne in the room, as it would have got warm. We kept it in our fridge, where we could guarantee it was properly chilled.

When you were checked into your room, we should have then brought it across to you. I do apologise.

Sorry too that the staff weren't as friendly as they should have been. And I'm particularly sorry that they were on Facebook. That's very naughty, and I will make sure this doesn't happen again.
London
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had a fantastic overnight treat at Elvey Farm. Was blown away by the restoration of these wonderful old buildings – some real thought seems to have gone into the balance of modern and traditional – lots of opportunity for the original features to shine through and beamed ceilings everywhere.

We had Sunday lunch, which was three courses, nicely cooked. The veggie choice was very tasty and I was offered the option to have the Sunday roast trimmings instead of the veg on the menu. Breakfast was very good too. The owners use all local foods and list the sources. Well done Edna on her jams!

Our room was so luxurious – one of the best I have ever stayed in (Penhurst Suite). The vast bathroom (and two-person bath AND shower!) was fantastic following our post-lunch walk to the local village. Then sitting in the bar with a log fire going and a glass of wine was the end of a lovely day.

And the vast bed was ultra comfortable with, for us city dwellers, the joy of a perfectly quiet undisturbed nights sleep.

Can’t recommend this place enough for a real complete stress free getaway.

Room Tip: The suites in the separate granary are just gorgeous
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MD141
Thank you for such a lovely review. I remember your visit very well, and I enjoyed meeting you all during Sunday lunch. Thanks for saying all those nice things - glad you were able to relax.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here with some friends at the beginning of October for an overnight stay and I was so impressed! I stayed in one of the rooms in the stable block and it felt so luxurious with original features, large bed and a fantastic bathroom...great value for money. We made use of the on site restaurant for a Sunday lunch and it was delicious and, again, great value for money (the desserts were particularly good!). The owners Simon & Jeff were extremely friendly and offered a top rate customer service, nothing was too much trouble for them. I really felt looked after during my stay. The farm itself is in a fantastic location and you really feel like you are getting away from it all. I highly recommend a stay in this great hotel, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 968Lisa_G1
York, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for one night on the way north from the Channel ferry and would have stayed longer if we'd known what it was like. We drove down narrow lanes in deepest Kent, wondering where on earth we were going to end up, and arrived at last at the most beautiful old farmhouse. There were climbing roses, lavender, trellises covered with vines, old trees laden with ripening apples, and a large dog snoozing in the sun. We were welcomed by a very pleasant and helpful manageress, who showed us to our suite in the old stable block which had been renovated it by someone with a brilliant eye both for comfort and elegant detail. We loved it. Before dinner we drank a bottle of excellent local wine and then had a delicious meal of locally sourced food, with attentive service. We slept like logs in the comfortable bed and left after a good breakfast. It seemed to us, after some ropey experiences with French tables d'hôtes in the previous few weeks, a magnificent little corner of England and we have been recommending it to all our friends. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pluckley
Eastwell Manor
Holiday Inn Ashford North A20
Frasers
Frasers
#1 of 2 in Egerton

Been to Elvey Farm? Share your experiences!