“A warm welcoming Inn with great food and company”
Review of The Dering Arms

The Dering Arms
The Dering Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pluckley
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed for only one night. However - would love to go back.

I parked outside the pub - not sure if parking would be an issue if the pub gets busy in the evenings.

As soon as you walk into the pub, you will notice the friendly and welcoming atmosphere - all credit to the staff. It is a traditional pub - with open fire (although not lit in the summer). If you are expecting a drinking crowd which you see in most city centre pub chains - you will be disappointed - this is one you can take your family to.

The room was clean, seemed small - but that is probably because the bed was big and comfy. There is a tv, tea and coffee making facilities. What I did like was the carpets seemed new to me - making me want to walk around bare feet (and that was from walking upstairs onwards - not just the room - and I'm fussy on walking bear feet).

The bathroom had soap, shampoo and conditioner (something I wasn't sure whether I would get). Whilst in the shower - you need to pull a switch outside before the water will start in the shower - there is a sign - but I didn't read it until I had to figure out how to start the shower. Towels provided were white and fluffy.

The food was great - both dinner and breakfast. I would highly recommend eating here! You need to try the fish!

On the down side - there isn't wi-fi and I had very poor (if any) reception on my phone. However, it made a change from the norm - quite nice to be non-contactable for a while.

If I'm in the area again - will definite eat and stay here again (and choose not to stay in a large hotel chain)!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding and hired out all the rooms and the suite. It worked very well as it meant we had the run of the upstairs and there was plenty of space. The size of the rooms weren't massive by themselves which would be my only issue had we stayed here for more than a night.

The rooms were thoughtfully decorated and in keeping with the building. The bed was also very comfy although far too many pillows/cushions on the bed that we didn't know what to do with!The suite was fully kitted out with a kitchen, table, plates etc. which meant we could have a quick lunch before heading out.

The pub downstairs did good beer and although we didn't try the food it looked very tempting! Breakfast was lovely - with homemade jam and the option of freshly cooked haddock and poached eggs which were sensational!

Lovely village location and right next to a station which means you could visit easily without a car.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Nice relaxed atmosphere. Lovely breakfast. Rooms ok - a bit on the cool side, but comfy bed.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Booked a late lunch following an overnight stay in Pluckley for family gathering to celebrate a 60th birthday. The weather curtailed our morning ghost walk but the wonderful hosts allowed us to move lunch forward. We were so glad we did - a bathroom provided to change out of walking clothes, relaxing ambiance and a laid-back gathering was the preamble to a fabulous fishy lunch..just right! Such a good find, we will be back with our own classic car for one of the gatherings..may book one of the bedrooms and make a weekend of it...it's worth it! Don't go.....more room for us!!!

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Some things have changed - the rooms now are very comfortable with ensuites. The price charged is very reasonable indeed. The full breakfast is first rate - no tinned mushrooms or tomatoes here - just fresh local ingredients cooked to order. Coffee is real full strength.

Peace and quiet is amazing. Although the mainline station is only less than 100 yds away, the only thing likely to wake you are the birds in the trees.

Only 2 hrs to Paris - in time for lunch if you like the idea.

The best reason for visiting this establishment is the food and wines. While carnivores are catered for, it is Jim Buss 's love of all things fishy which I would highly recommend. That king of fish Dover Sole was simply divine, while my Duck was only good/OK. The assiette Fruits De Mer was a little disappointing because the lobster (I think) was imported Canadian and lacked flavour. My best advice is to choose from the blackboard fish specials. Crackerjack!!!!!

The range of wines available, enable any pretentious wine buff (moi?) to partake of some very serious names but without the London mark ups thanks to some clever buying of "non stellar years". However there are no half bottles and no Rose wines. I think Jim misses a trick here.

So long as Jim himself is in the kitchen you will be assured of dedicated service and will be delighted. If the "B" team are in situ then I think you just might have a problem.

This is not an establishment to stay if you are a busy rep. Relax and unwind is my personal suggestion and visit the rest of Kent in peace.

Room Tip: There are only 3 pristine rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Spent one night en route from Europe. Arrived after midnight following delays in Europe and a wait at the Channel Tunnel, but this was no problem. The owner's parents were in charge as the owner was away, and they did a fantastic job. A warm welcome and time to wind down with a drink and a chat before getting to the room. Very comfy bed, and a lovely breakfast. Delighted to have found such a nice place near to the Channel Tunnel where we can break our journey to and from the continent.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We booked a night at The Dering Arms on a whim a few days before and we were pleasantly surprised upon our arrival.

The public house is delightful and offers fantastic food too; we had a two course dinner on the Saturday night which was delicious (the duck just fell off the bone). All of the food is cooked to order with local ingredients and the quality is second to none.

It is a quirky little place to stay, with real charm. The bedroom doors don’t lock, which I have to admit I found odd at first, but after an afternoon in Pluckley it became apparent that you don’t really need to lock your doors!

The room was decorated with a mix of antiques and had an uber comfortable bed with crisp white cotton sheets. The en-suite was perfect and offered lovely thick white towels.

All in all I think that it is possibly the best value we’ve ever had from a hotel (we paid £85 for a lovely room with a country view).

The morning fry-up was very nice and the staff were lovely (and extremely helpful with their local knowledge). We will definitely be heading back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoulabelleKent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pluckley
Little Silver Country Hotel
Chilston Park Hotel
Chilston Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lenham
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to The Dering Arms? Share your experiences!