“Great seafood but a little pricey”
Review of The Dering Arms

The Dering Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dering Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Pluckley
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Kent
“Great seafood but a little pricey”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My partner and I went to the Dering Arms for dinner, and enjoyed a delicious crab salad and tuna provencal. The service was swift and efficient, the restaurant itself was a beautiful old building and the food very good. I particularly enjoyed the sticky toffee pudding which was perfect! I was a little miffed to have to pay £2.50 for each side serving (i.e. £5 for some new potatoes and broccoli!) However, a pleasant evening in superb surroundings.

• Visited May 2013

Kessel-Lo
“Bacon and oranges”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

About 23 years ago I was still full of prejudices about English food, but the I had a wonderfull meal in this restaurant: monkfish with a bacon and oranges sauce, and it changed my opinion about British pub food forever, and I have become a frantic gastropub visitor during my holidays. I went back recently to find the pub almost unchanged, just freshened up, and found this dish back on the menu. I had, once again, a wonderful meal, a nice chat with the owners and a wonderful time. Good wine list too (this is not allways obvious in the uk).

• Visited April 2013
Pluckley, United Kingdom
“Very good food”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had lunch in the Dering Arms two Sundays ago.... thought best to book as Sunday lunch is generally a busy time for most pubs, but we were astonished to find we were the only diners. Presents rather an anomaly actually, as the food was excellent - Mackerel smokies were delicious and we ate from the specials board and main menu, both of which were equally good - Plaice, Dover sole and steak.... the choice of house wines was good, but unfortunately it was rather lacking in atmosphere as it felt rather like sitting in a hushed library..... I would go there again, but perhaps next time I wait for one of their event days...

Lenham
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Dering Arms is a fascinating and beautiful, historical building. I understand that it began life as a hunting lodge for the Dering family and it retains much of the original character. On arriving we were greeted by friendly staff and service was prompt. Food and drink were excellent. I have eaten regularly here and never been let down. The bouillabaisse is served in the French style with rouille, croutons and parmesan and it is worth going out of your way for this alone.

1 Thank Tess W
Bethersden, United Kingdom
“Another Delicious Dering Evening”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed yet another delicious meal at the Dering Arms on Saturday evening. We made a last minute booking and despite the fact that they were incredibly busy, after some persuasion we were 'squeezed' in. James and Penny Buss are extremely welcoming hosts and although there was a private party for a 40th wedding anniversary in full swing (some 50 guests!) and a fairly full dining room, we were greeted, shown to our table and drinks served within minutes of our arrival. The young waiting staff were very professional and attentive and we had a very relaxing and enjoyable evening. In fact, we have never failed to enjoy less than excellent service, delicious food (whether cooked by James himself or by chef Claire) and good company. The Dering Arms offers a good range of dishes from traditional pub grub at lunchtimes, plus an interesting a la carte menu and there is always a 'specials' selection of superb 'fish-with-a-twist' dishes. James offers a jolly good wine list and it is always possible to have a pretty decent wine (and champagne) by the glass. Good range of beers and local ale too. James and Penny work hard to ensure that The Dering has a friendly, welcoming atmosphere and one can always be assured of interesting conversation.