“Another Delicious Dering Evening”
Review of The Dering Arms

The Dering Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dering Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Pluckley
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed yet another delicious meal at the Dering Arms on Saturday evening. We made a last minute booking and despite the fact that they were incredibly busy, after some persuasion we were 'squeezed' in. James and Penny Buss are extremely welcoming hosts and although there was a private party for a 40th wedding anniversary in full swing (some 50 guests!) and a fairly full dining room, we were greeted, shown to our table and drinks served within minutes of our arrival. The young waiting staff were very professional and attentive and we had a very relaxing and enjoyable evening. In fact, we have never failed to enjoy less than excellent service, delicious food (whether cooked by James himself or by chef Claire) and good company. The Dering Arms offers a good range of dishes from traditional pub grub at lunchtimes, plus an interesting a la carte menu and there is always a 'specials' selection of superb 'fish-with-a-twist' dishes. James offers a jolly good wine list and it is always possible to have a pretty decent wine (and champagne) by the glass. Good range of beers and local ale too. James and Penny work hard to ensure that The Dering has a friendly, welcoming atmosphere and one can always be assured of interesting conversation.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Beautiful setting. The food was very tasty I would say it is an average price to pay for good food. I had the duck and would definetely recommend it. :-)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The building is beautiful and in a lovely countryside setting, in the village of Pluckley.
Food was proper traditional home cooked pub food, but with an excellent range of fish dishes on offer.
Really good range of beers and local ales. wine list very comprehensive, including a lovely locally made sparkling wine which we had.
Jim the owner was friendly and welcoming.
It is a shame there are not many traditional pubs like this left in the UK.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Was made clear from the moment I walked in that I was not wanted. Rude staff lousy service and frosty atmosphere. Had someone just died?

7  Thank Fred C
Chomeley, Owner at The Dering Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

I am sorry that you felt unwelcome, - I have no idea why.
As for service, we pride ourselves for the professional service we offer, for both the food and the wine from our extensive list. I can only apologise if not up to your standard.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

When we were showed to our table it was crammed up a corner right next to a cupboard with "Danger 400 Volts" - not a good start!! The tables were that close I was struggling to make myself heard to my husband because of the rather loud lady sat next to us - but I can't berate the establishment for having loud guests - can I? What did shock me was when I asked what accompanies the steak that we had ordered for £16.95 - Nothing came back the answer - if you want veg and potatoes/chips you have to pay extra for that - a whole £2.50 per portion bringing the cost of that steak to £21.95. Was it worth it? although I can't complain about the quality of the food at all it was superb I don't think it merits £21.95?

We have been here many times before and always enjoyed it but obviously this is a new concept - charging extra for veg and potatoes - not something I have ever encountered at any restaurants I have ever been to. I wondered if maybe I was being out of order expecting it as a package so decided to ask my work colleagues on Monday and they were as shocked as I was.

Sorry won't be going back there - and fully expect to be lambasted for expecting too much.

10  Thank lanky64
Chomeley, Owner at The Dering Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Firstly, sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your comments.
The sign on the electricity meter cupboard is a requrement of the E.H.O. This table is one of our most popular when chosen by customers !
I am glad that you enjoyed the food but I am dissappointed about the comment re. extra charge for side dishes. I think that you will find all A la Carte Restaurants do this, to allow the customer to make their meal selection up to their requirements.
We do have a Bar menu with a more traditional style Bistro menu, eg. Coq au Vin, Beef Bourguignon, Salmon Fishcakes etc. These are all priced as complete meals.
I hope you will come and try us again and realise that we are not too expensive for the meal you receive.