Hussar Hotel
Hussar Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Margate B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed 2 nights on 6th-7th June 2013. The staff were great. Our bedroom was very large and spotlessly clean The bed was particularly comfortable. Breakfast was included and served from a large choice of options and very tasty. We spent both nights in the bar and met a few of the locals which was good. We would recommend staying at the Hussar hotel; it is only a short drive to Margate beach and within easy reach of Ramsgate. If we return to Kent, we will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

We recommended a friend stay at the Hussar while attending a family funeral in the area, mainly because of its convenient location, close to our extended families - it used to be my partner's local before we met the area and we know the place well.
Our friend found the room very pleasant for her needs and the visit went smoothly, albeit with some noise from downstairs, as stated by other reviewers.
However, on visiting the bar, my partner was charged £3.50 for a pint of lime and soda. We queried this high cost and complained but we're assured that the price was correct.
My partner made a flippant comment about this price on Facebook, saying it was an outrageous price, but in a jokey way.
On visiting the pub last weekend (not drinking lime and soda) my partner was subjected to a very heated verbal attack from the owner (in the bar, in front of other customers) and told he was banned for life, for discussing the prices on Facebook. Another customer had also warned my partner that she was 'gunning for him'.
He was very upset, but we just shrugged our shoulders and accepted it as not important to worry about.
However, the following day, the owner made a comment on her own Facebook page, making accusations of 'slander'.
I asked her very politely to remove this accusation. She refused and blocked me.
I then emailed her, repeating the request and offering to have a friendly chat and sort it out.
She has ignored my email, ignored my request for a chat and left the accusation of slander for all to see.
It's ridiculous! We were overcharged and, after checking with staff, made a joke on Facebook. That's all.
in return, my partner has been embarrassed in front of fellow customers, barred for life from a pub that my family has used for 47 years to my certain knowledge (my dad had his stag night there in 1966) and called a liar on Facebook!
It seems that the Hussar is a perfectly good place to stay if all goes smoothly. But when something goes wrong, the owner's attitude is somewhat fiery!
I've tried to sort this ridiculous issue directly but hit a brick wall. I was interested to read the owner's chippy response to the poor review above and I, like her, suggest that readers draw their own conclusions.

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank Thanetian42
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is very easy to find, looks elegant from the outside, quaint on the inside. The staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them... Sadly, the restaurant was closed due to the chef being on annual leave, so we couldn't sample the meals available, we were offered a full range of choices for breakfast. The hotel is located within a 15 minute walk to the sandy beach.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kay h
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Recently spent a couple of nights here, the rooms are well maintained, the staff friendly and helpful, breakfast nicely presented with a decent pint of real ale in the bar. Only about 15 mins easy walk to Margate seafront, with ample parking at the hotel. There is some inevitable noise from the downstairs bar, which has good live music on a Friday night, but unless you turn in very early it's not really a major issue.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colin B
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Very cheap. Room was big. Very clean. Only thing that let it down was bathroom. Bath board was wrong size. Floor ripped. And when u had shower all the water stayed around ur feet. Drained very slowly. But apart from the snoring from next door a cheap place to place

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 1, 2012

After a 4 hour journey the beer was very inviting and of excellent quality, the staff were very friendly and accommodating even though we arrived at 10pm. The rooms were of excellent size very modern and clean. The breakfast was excellent large selection ranging from cereal to full english. could not fault the staff in any way, the only fault was that we had to leave.
I would definately reccomend this hotel / pub to any body.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank steve p
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I travel for business and needed to cancel due to changed customer needs. Despite ringing early on the day of arrival they still charged. I have now lost a days fee AND incurred their charge. This lack of flexibility is not going to attract the businessman. Next time I'll go elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank chrishinch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Walpole Bay Hotel
#7 of 12 in Margate
Travelodge Ramsgate Seafront
Travelodge Margate Westwood
Premier Inn Margate Hotel

Been to Hussar Hotel? Share your experiences!