“Wonderful find!!”

The Ambrette Margate
Ranked #5 of 189 Restaurants in Margate
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful find!!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Once you get over the awful decor and drab look of the place, you are in for a culinary experience. The food was simply outstanding...Don't expect typical indian food (curry and rice) you are given a delicious amuse bouche, and a little treat after each course - a delicate carrot and coriander soup in a little cup, a mango sorbet....etc. etc...my meal was the best meal I have had in ages. The presentation and attention to detail was exceptional. I wish we had a restaurant of this calibre in London. I had pheasant for the first time - it was delicate and delicious. I have certain food allergies and they couldn't do enough to make sure my food did not contain dairy, nuts etc....They even made a little sugar free, nut free dessert as a surprise for us as it was our anniversary....Just wonderful!!! Cannot wait to go back....

Visited February 2013

London
“Still fabulous, but. . .”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was my 5th visit and the food is still fabulous. However a couple of negatives have crept in. The famous chocolate samosa's I was so looking forward to were rock hard and the feathered beef starter was meagre in it's portion. The wine we ordered was corked, and I asked the waiter to comment and he did with ' I just opened it'. Not satisifactory. But, the wine and desert were changed with no questions. On the plus side all of my partners choices were fabulous and my main (beef stew) was gorgeous. All the little extras served between courses we delicious too. I wouldn't hesitate the Ambrette to even the biggest 'foodie'.

1 Thank 2012Peggy2012
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Very good indian inspired cooking - certainly not your bog standard curry house”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We here for family meal today at lunchtime after many good reviews from my parents who eat here often. Set lunch was excellent value (£20 for 3 courses) and had at least 4 choices for each course. On top of this we were also presented with an amouse bouche (deep fried paneer with coconut chutney) and a coffee cup of soup (tomato) between starter and mains. If you come here expecting a mountain of curry rice and naan, you will be disappointed. If you come here wanting very tasty Indian cuisine of the haute variety presented very well, you will be pretty pleased. In an old pub just off old Margate (the trendy bit, 5 mins from Turner Contemporary), Service was good, but just missing something (I can't name it exactly, perhaps just too quietly spoken in a room with not great accoustics). Strangely, for a restaurant that has won a Cobra award, they only served Kingfisher! (but I'm being very picky here). Food excellent, probably more like the Michelin starred Indian restaurants of London (this is a guess, they're too expensive for me!), but certainly unlike any Indian I've been to before, and very good value too.(even more so, as Mum is a privilege member - free to join for the over 60's - and got all 3 courses for all in the party for £10.95, so including drinks, less than £120 for 6). Arguably, Thanet's best restaurant?

Arundel, United Kingdom
“What a treat!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My 92 year old mother and I took advantage of the Senior Citizens Priviledge Card and had lunch at the Ambrette today. What a treat! Beautifully presented plates of food (and each course described as it was served) with little extra touches such as a welcome glass of prosecco, an amuse bouche and an expresso cup of lentil soup between courses. Don't expect a great dollop of meat in bright red sauce on a pile of rice! This is small portions but perfectly formed with delicious delicate combinations of flavours and unusual ingredients. The pheasant was beautifully tender as was the pork loin. As a Margate girl born and bred I am delighted that this sort of quality restaurant is now in Margate at an affordable price (even without the Priviledge card) and a restaurant that offers Senior citizens the opportunity to enjoy fine dining at a price they can afford. Well done Ambrette - we thoroughly enjoyed our meal.

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Ate here for the first time on Tuesday evening .The food was superb !
Looking forwaed to a second visit ,