“Margate beachcross weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Margate beachcross weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was the 2nd time I have used Smiths court and again I found it to be a very friendly and well run hotel. Staff were more than happy to provide us with the early breakfast we needed, and to be there when we needed a late night drink! All in all they went a long way towards the fantastic weekend we had and I will be back.:-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dave P
TonyBurton, Owner at Smiths Court Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are happy that you find the hotel friendly and well run, and that you found the staff friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back for the next beachcross weekend...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel was clean and friendly,The room (21) that i stayed in was clean and warm with a very comfortable bed which was remade every day of my stay and the room tidyed. The food was very good especially breakfast with a good choice and plenty of, the staff where very helpfull what ever time day or night you required assistance. Would recommend highly

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Michael P
Thank you for your kind review. We enjoy hosting the beach cross riders and organisers, and we are glad that you enjoyed the staff, the food and the room. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

So, I frequent hotels and B & B s nationwide with work but never really review them - I do not usually have the time. However my recent stay at Smiths Court was strange affair to say the least so I thought I would give it ago. I was involved in a retro games convention at the near by Wintergardens Theatre and we was recommended this hotel by the organisers of the show. Upon arrival we arrived at a very welcoming reception which was clearly in transition with new carpet meeting shoddy paint work and some hiddeous pictures on the wall. I think they were repro's? However, that aside the reception was fairly welcoming with a warm feel. The check in was fairly straight forward however the guy on the desk looked a tad stressed, no smiles and a reluctant 'spill' regarding location of the room ect. I was a little beat from my journey as I had been in scotland the day before so just needecd a shower and abit of chill time....Ha Ha.
Found my room and upon seeing the ancient wood door, which felt like pushing a Rhino through a plug hole. On first glance the room was nice, however do not think it had been used for a while as there was a slight 'dank' smell lingering, the building is very old and faces the see so this could be the reason - or change the 'Low end windows' to stop the damp getting in? So then a glance to in the bathroom, spotlessly clean but with a nice cheap B&Q Shower unit Jobby....not going to far into this but when I used it I assumed the pressure was being created by a frog on a dynamo? Never the less it was clean....
I went back to the reception to see if Icould get some bar food? The guy on the desk said no even though there was a menu clearly displyed, I was given a menu for the Hotels restaraunt with 'War and Peace' to describe each offering I just wanted a sandwich....Couldn't get one. I ended up getting something 'on the hop' whilst out for a afew drinkies with other people from the show.
We got back fairly early as we all had an early start the next morning but we stayed up in the reception area drinking coffee discussing the hiddeous paintings and the overall impression of Smiths, some had direct experience with owners earlier in the day and wasn't impressed.
I hit the sack only to fail to get to sleep as there were a group of young men outside sitting on the wall of the next door B&B, plus the added noise of people in the corridor. I went back to sit downstairs, other people from my group had gone to bed but I was greeted by the night porter, who was a larger than life character, very friendly and helpful in knowledge of the local area. I explained my issues regarding noise and reassured me he also gave me a pot of tea to help me unwind.The next couple of nights where much the same, reluctant staff, noise communication trouble when trying to get fed (Other than the Breakfast which was very good)
This place with little TLC, good staff training and having infrastructure brought up to date can be a real gem, feel there is a long way to go for Smiths and they really must up there game to work in Unison with Margate Vision of regeneration. Only two stars for this stay from my opinion, if I ever stay here again (which I don't think I will) I would write another review.

Room Tip: Sea view is ok, I don't think it warrants another 5er!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Lou L
Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel. We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your stay. We are delighted that you mention that the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. We are happy that you felt well served by the Night Porter, and that you found the breakfast very good.

We do apologise for the fact that there were too many words on our menu for you to read, that the B&B next door had guests that we couldn't control, and that the pieces of artwork in the lounge were 'hideous repros' (when actually they were painted from scratch by the current owner's Grandfather). We are also shocked that some people had experience with the owners that day, as my wife and I were not around on the first day to see any of your group. We did however serve you breakfast on the second day, so maybe you had us confused with someone else.

We are also disappointed that you mark the value so low, when (to work in unison with Margate's vision of regeneration) we supported the GEEK event by offering a significant discount on our standard pricing, to try and attract more guests to that event.

We are sorry that you found the sea view 'ok' and not worth an additional £5 (which of course was discounted 50% for you) when the majority of our other guests mention the fabulous sea views and the fact that it is worth every penny. Perhaps, like the 'hideous' artwork, the sea view was not to your taste.

Thank you again for your review of the hotel and your comments, which we will take on board.
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We booked this hotel one month ago, paid the deposit an executive suite with a sea view for a special wedding anniversary. I received a email yesterday, two days before the holiday from the hotel saying there was an oversight with the room that had only just been noticed. They would offer us a room at the back of the hotel. Also when we booked there were no functions on and we could use the restaurant. The email said there was a function on and the restaurant could not be used. What sort of business are they running, I,m appalled and would certainly NOT recommend anyone book this hotel

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank marie416
We are very sorry that you were unhappy with our cancellation of your room in March. We had noticed that your room had been overbooked - a very rare occurrence - and the moment we found out we let you know that you could either move into a room on the back of the hotel - at a heavily discounted rate - or cancel the room with a full refund and book the same room in the future (again at a discounted rate).

There were also notes on your original booking to show that you had been made aware of the function running that evening and that you were happy that this was the case, so it is a shame that you now claim no knowledge of this fact.

My wife and I have been to two or three hotels where our room has been changed at the last minute, and we have been 'downgraded' without any prior knowledge. Based on our personal experience, our policy is to let people know in advance should they not be getting the room that they believed to have booked, so that the guest can choose whether to travel or not. The offer of an alternative room on those dates, or a discounted stay in the future with a full refund of any deposit paid is, we feel, all we can do on these rare occasions. We are sorry that you feel this is the incorrect way to approach this situation.
Rochester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I would recomend this hotel to anyone . The hotel is lovely and warm. The room me and my husband stayed in was really lovely we had our own kitchen and a four poster bed. We are due to leave tomorow after spending a week at the hotel. We dont want to leave. The staff have been very friendly and helped us if we had any problems. We would like to thank the staff at the hotel for a lovely stay and we will be back in a few months time

Room Tip: choose the room 5b as it has a kitchen and ur own bath room the room is really clean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine F
Thank you for your very kind words about the hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your room - one of our lovely executive rooms - and that you found the staff friendly and helpul. We can't wait to welcome you back in the future.
Ramsgate, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My (now) husband and I got married at Smiths Court in July 2012 and had the most wonderful day. Abbie could not have been more helpful with all of the planning and all of the staff on the day were fantastic. Nothing at all went wrong, and if it did I wouldn't have known as the staff took care of everything.
We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was beautiful and our guests that stayed at the hotel were very happy with their rooms, which were included in our wedding package. The night before my bridesmaids and I stayed at the hotel, using the hen night package, and I would recommend this to anyone who is getting married there and wants a bit of pampering. The staff also put on a wonderful family dinner for us that night too.
The location itself is amazing and we managed to get some beautiful beach wedding photographs. It was lovely to see a huge banner congratulating us on the way back from our photo session.
The food and all entertainment/decorations etc that were included were absolutely fantastic and overall we had the most wonderful experience. We also love that the hotel keep inviting us back for special occasions and I look forward to surprising my husband with a stay there for our anniversary this year. Thank you Smiths Court and sorry it took so long to write this review!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Angela H
We were delighted to host your wedding day last year, and thank you for your kind review. We were happy that you enjoyed the 'Bride's night' on the night before your wedding day, and that you were happy with the staffing on your most special day as well as before and aftern.

We would most certainly welcome you back with us, whether on your anniversary or at any other time, as we love to keep in contact with all our happy couples.

Thank you also for your kind words about Abbie, as she works hard to make sure that all the planning is perfect, and on her behalf, and all the staff at Smiths Court, we thank you again for your kind words and wish you well in the future. We can't wait to welcome you back soon.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

On arriving at the hotel, the reception staff were friendly and helpful, the reception area was clean and inviting. We booked in for an evening meal in The Orangery, and were given directions to our room. The room was beautiful, clean and spacious. We could find no fault with it. The room was well thought out, with plug sockets near the mirror (for hair straighteners), comfy arm chairs (to appreciate the spectacular sea view) and a very comfortable bed with crisp, clean linen. The evening meal in The Orangery was exceptional. The atmosphere was calm and relaxed, with the waiting staff attentive and friendly. There was a big party arriving at the same time, but we were served with as much attention as them. The breakfast in the morning was of the same high standard as the night before, and the staff were friendly and professional. Altogether, our stay was fantastic, and we will definitely come back again. Well done and thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are definitely worth the extra money if like watching boats and the world going by.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KateB604
Thank you for the lovely review of our hotel. I have to agree that the sea views are spectacular, and we are also delighted that you enjoyed the staff, the food in The Orangery, the breakfast and the cleanliness. You mention that you will come back, and we will welcome you any time. Thank you again for your very kind words.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Crescent Victoria Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kingsgate
Somerville Hotel
Somerville Hotel
#8 of 12 in Margate

Been to Smiths Court Hotel? Share your experiences!