“The best steak I've had in a setting that's more than perfect.”
Review of The Bay Restaurant

The Bay Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bay Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 182 Restaurants in Margate
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“The best steak I've had in a setting that's more than perfect.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Oh my goodness. Where has this new breed of fabulous restaurant in Margate sprung from.
The breath taking view out of the original floor to ceiling feature windows on to the sands of margate are balanced well with the beautifully lit and stunning architecture of the grand room we dined in.
The staff were friendly and attentive even if their knowledge of the wine selections were almost no existent.
My starter was fresh local crab and was a lovely light way to start my taste buds off before diving in to The Best Rib Eye Steak I have ever had. I can assure you this doesn't come lightly. A bad steak is so often served at restaurants that I normally avoid the disappointment by having something else. The cow that produced this meat was well looked after and I'd hope the chef that cooked it is well looked after too because it was perfectly cooked. And the chips, fluffy in the middle and crispy on the outside as they should be. A crunchy in the middle chip is a mistake which occurs too often in my opinion, not here though.
If I was to look for something negative to write I'd suggest that they warm the plates before sending the food as some of the veg was a little cold.
Oh my god the local cheeses, oh my god.
Stop reading and go and eat there.

• Visited August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Arundel, United Kingdom
“Delicious food - Really worth a visit”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I had my second meal (lunch) at the Bay Restaurant last week. It was a special occasion and there were 13 of us. I had arranged the menu in advance to help things run smoothly. The table was very well arranged down the centre of the room which made the most of the wonderful view. The starter was a very tasty ham hock terrine with homemade chutney followed by belly of pork with mustard mash and then the absolutely delicious chocolate mousse with sour cherry sorbet (best I have had). The ambience is lovely - the décor excellent and the view is wonderful. It is true that the service needs to be slicker to make the whole experience first class, but I am sure that the management will be working on that. The staff were very helpful and polite, but they need to pay more attention to detail and they will be fine. Our experience was very good indeed and next time I visit I hope to be able to give it 5 starts because I really do think it is a wonderful addition to Margate and it raises the level of hospitality and adds a reach touch of class to the town. Well done and I really am looking forward to my next visit. Bet I will have to book in advance!

Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Restaurant”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Having turned up and finding that our reservation had not been booked we were off to a bad start, got given a table right by the stairs as far away from the spectacular view as possible and being our wedding anniversary we were not happy but have to say our waitress Alicia made up for a bad start,she was very attentive and couldn't have made as feel more welcome ,when we first arrived I was all set to leave a bad review but in fairness the food was very good ,presentation was great and the decor was excellent ,although the staff need more training on the food they were serving and the wine list(not there fault but down to bad Managment ) over all I came away happy and content,train your staff properly and you will have a perfect venue,loved the food atmosphere and the attention out waitress gave us just need to up the training you give them and you could have the best venue in Thanet for fine dining

1 Thank paulscottbrown
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Beautiful Afternoon "Hen" tea!!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Was told by friends that the afternoon tea was fabulous and they were 100% correct... An absolutely beautiful location and a superb range of afternoon tea delicacies of finger sandwiches then miniature cakes and massive scones we had champagne as it was a special afternoon tea for the bride to be!!!
Also asked to be shown around the hotel the seaside foyer is beautiful and the loos very nice too but the roof terrace is amazing and the rooms look fabulous really looking forward to staying there!!!
Lovely staff and looking forward to visiting again!!!

Margate, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting, lovely food!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a lovely meal here for our wedding anniversary. It's not the kind of place you'd pop to more for a treat. Starters and puddings are about £5-6 and mains £15 ish. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and the view is amazing. Our waitress was extremely accommodating and made us feel very welcome. The food was delicious, especially the puddings, the chocolate mousse and black cherry sorbet was a real treat! We left feeling that we had got good value for money and have booked up to sample the afternoon tea! Good news for margate!

1 Thank wellsy1980