Tripadvisor
Margate
Post
Inbox
Search

“We visited as a group of 13”
Review of GB Pizza Co.

GB Pizza Co.
Ranked #24 of 247 Restaurants in Margate
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Delicious wood-fired pizza, the best coffee in Margate, gelato and wine.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited as a group of 13 on new year’s day lunchtime for a friend’s birthday. It was a family event so we had a number of children with us - the staff were brilliant, even kindly topping up our glasses when it was difficult to get out. The food was served quickly and was hot and tasty. We’ve been a number of times before but this was a happy experience for all, thank you!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (865)

Reviewed January 11, 2020

I was very excited when I found out they offered gluten free pizzas as it is often difficult for me to find places to eat. The gluten free base had an additional charge of £1.50 which I was not bothered paying for as I understand it is an additional process.

I was in a party of six and was the first person to go up an order, the server told us that she would wait and put all of our orders through at the same time so that they could arrive on the table at the same time. Fair point, it did mean that we couldn't pay up front and meant we were stuck with the service charge at the end but at this point I didn't mind.

However when the food finally arrive, my pizza was no where to be seen. My boyfriend manage to eat all but 2 slices of his pizza before it appeared. During this long gap between everyone else getting their food and mine arriving. At no point did the waitress come over and explain what the delay was. Surely if she knew the gluten free pizza takes longer she should have informed the kitchen to start when I ordered first. When the pizza arrive it was the saddest looking pizza I had ever seen. For the last 10-15 mins I had been watching my friends tuck into some heavenly looking pizzas and so expected mine to be on a similar quality, what arrived was a sorry excuse for a pizza, more like tomato bread.

When I ordered I had picked the Margate-rita and then I saw that next to it on the board it said WITH fior di latte (which after a quick google search I saw it was a type of mozzarella cheese.) As a big cheese fan I didn't mind paying an additional £1 to add this to my pizza. When my pizza arrived it was just a tomato base and one small blob of the cheese on each slice with small dried basil the size of a finger nail.

By this point I was so hungry that I began to eat it but my friends could see the dislike on my face and the stark contrast between mine and their own that my boyfriend took it back to the kitchen. Asking why there was no cheese base like the other margate-rita my friend has, he was just told that was how this pizza came.

If this is the case then I feel sorry for anyone who has ever ordered this sad sad pizza thinking that for a more expensive price it is worse than the original margate-rita. The server kindly offered to add some more cheese but when it returned it was the tightest amount of cheddar sprinkled over. I ate it anyway having not had any lunch in preparation for what I thought was going to be a lovely meal.

When my friend went to pay the bill he did mention how unhappy I was with the pizza and the general service but the service charge was not removed from the bill. On top of that I was charge an additional 50p for the minisucal amount of cheese added to my pizza, this just felt very disrespectful. I ended up paying £9.50 for my gluten free cheese-less option when my friend paid £6.50 for her lovely margate-rita.

It is probably the worst meal I have ever been served in a restaurant and have told many of my friends about my negative experience. I finished the night buying halloumi fries from wetherspoons so that I could fill the empty void in my stomach.

Would not recommend you waste your time or money.

Reviewed January 5, 2020

Great pizza place serving a variety of freshly made very tasty pizzas and with plenty of gluten free options.
Friendly staff, dogs allowed.
Highly reccommend if visiting Margate.

Reviewed December 27, 2019

We went to GB Pizza&Co,.,. On a weekend to Margate I must say one of the best Pizza I have had .Apart from italy ,.,. The staff are very Polite .All the toppings were Mouthwatering ,., I could of had another but I didn't we had another to share that good ,.,. I Promise :)

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed December 19, 2019

Popped in here for pizza with friends, on recommendation of one who lives locally, after seeing the Turner Contemporary and trying our best to support the local quirky shops in Margate old town. It was raining and we were all wet. This little place couldn't have been nicer. Very relaxing. Self pull wines, GREAT TASTING pizza. Thank you for making our day and being so cheerful. We would return for pizza here when next in town.