“Quirky and charming”
Review of Walpole Bay Hotel

Walpole Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Reviewed October 28, 2010

This hotel is full of character. The room was clean and comfortable (although the bed was a bit hammocky). There was a good shower and bath in the en-suite and lots of hot water. Breakfasts were excellent - buffet style, with beautifully laid tables. We also had a cream tea, which was delicious and, again, beautifully presented. We particularly liked the old-fashioned (but very efficient) lift. Staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Why would you stay at an anonymous, chain hotel when, for the same price, you can stay here? We loved it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kandig

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Just got back from a two night stay here. This is a hotel with character and charm. Don't go if you want a 'large hotel chain' experience but if you want a step back in time with individual service it is great. The location is by the seafront ( great for crabbing ) and is idea for visiting the Kent coast. Very accommodating staff with good local knowledge and nothing was too much trouble during our stay. For the price we paid this is a good value hotel and we will be going back again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank KEBWeybridge
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stopped at the walpole bay last thursday a week into our shoot and after a week of staying in ultra modern style hotels this place is a breathe of fresh air. This hotel has fantastic service. we were met by the owner in the foyer of this hotel whioch has the character of early 1900s. Its fantastic! Service - excellent, Hotel - amazing, Food - good home cooking in a fine dining room! Recommend this gem to everyone!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Fyfe32
Reviewed August 24, 2010

The Walpole is very much a mixed bag. It´s a grand old building from the early 1900´s that is finding a way to survive in the Margate of 2010 by pitching itslef as an eccentric museum. You have to admire this: it´s an innovative way of getting people through the door when, to be honest, tourism in Margate seems to be dying a slow and painful death. However, this approach conceals the fact that this place is really not much more than a seaside B&B of the kind that I remember from decades past and hoped I´d never have to visit again. The staff are very friendly and certainly add colour to the hotel, but the place is rather dirty and run-down: the room had a distinct post-war austerity feel to it, with an uncomfortable mattress, a carpet that felt likes a old dog´s blanket underfoot, crumbling paint and dirty windows, and in general a rather unpleasant feel to it, exacerbated by the mannequins and general nightmarish paraphernalia all around the hotel. I think someone´s already said it - just because something´s old, doesn´t make it an interesting antique. In the bar, the carpet was flithy with crumbs left over for days, and the terrace was just a collection of old furnitue most people would have thrown out years ago. Indeed, this place give4s thei mpression that the residents of Margate use it an an alternative to a skip. You have to admire the ingenuity of using this as a PR advantage, but to be honest, where it counts - i.e. in terms of rooms, cleanliness, etc. - this falls below what I´d accept in a lot of hostels, let alone hotels, and all the charm in the world can´t change the fact that it makes for a rather uncomfortable stay. Hate to say it, as the staff are great and theyñre doing a great job in difficult circumstances - but this is just not a pleasant place to stay. : (

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank quintopino
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Walpole for 13 nights. To be honest, it is the only "Real Hotel" in Margate. We had a lovely time generally. The museum end of things left a lot to be desired. Some of the things were interesting enough to see but as one of the reviewers stated, It needed a big skip for most of it. Rooms off corridors full of dusty old cigarette boxes and brillo tins for example. I also agreed with another reviewer who said that they could hav edone much more to enhance the ambience of the style of hotel. The maids being in period costumes serving teas etc and a bell boy for autenticity to help with your luggage and show you to your room would have been better. However that aside, the staff were second to none. How they mananged to be so friendly courtious and efficient even though some of them were doing 7 consecutive 12 hour days. Jane Bishop the owner of the hotel has a brilliant staff. Talk about multitasking. Whoever was on reception that day, looked aftre the bar and also helped with the catering . I just don't know how they were able for it. Jane seems to have cut the number of employed staff right down to the bone, but still the hotel ran smoothly.I would suggest to anyone about to stay at the Walpole not to get a room beside the old lift. Although it is quaint, it is very noisy. Also the stairs comes down around the lift , so their can be a lot of traffic toing and froing. Our room was very clean, nice and spacious and looked on to the bowls green. Our bathroom had bad lighting and was dark, but it had a big bath with a shower that was supported on what I would call the shape of an old telephone holder. We had a balcony but something was wrong with the door, so we couldn't step out on it. Their boasted balcony was very small and could fit about two people standing I would say. Also it was not private, because if you did stand out on it you were standing in front of the window of the next room. Also they did not look out onto the sea, as I said it looked onto the bowls green .None of the rooms looked out to the sea, either front or back. The hotel has a fabulous big veranda with hanging flower pots and greenery all around. It was just brilliant to sit out and have cream tea in the afternoon or in the evening a few drinks. Of course the sunshine made everythings spectacular. The hotel catered more for the older person and people with young families. They had two weddings there while we were there and a "Forties Night" I'd say they do well with that and the murder mystery weekends. It seemed that Jane makes the hotel work for her. She is the hotel, body and soul. It is obviously her life. We had dinner there the first night, which was grand, although the menu wasn't great and hadn't a great variety to choose from. We had the option of ordering our meal at any time of the day at reception. You could order dinner for seven to be sitting down at the table for 7.30.for example. So the next time we did that. Jane who is a very nice lady but seems to be a very hands on owner was doing reception that afternoon. We decided to have steak. My husband ordered his medium rare and I ordered mine well done. So we came down to dinner and were promptly served our steaks. At first I thought I had been given my husbands steak but as I foud out, I wasn't. I couldn't eat any kind of rare steak, never could. So as it happened Jane was doing her rounds as she always seemed to do at meals asking people if they and if their meals were ok. She came to our table and asked. I told her that my steak was medium rare .She remembered me ordering it" well done". Well I was taken aback with what she said next. From the owner of the hotel, I didn't expect her response. Firstly she asked if I wanted to have it put under the grill again. I mean a steak is suppose to be cooked once in whatever manner you want, not to have the top burned to a crisp doing it a second time. I said no. Then she asked if" I would be able to eat it". I could not beleive my ears. She didn't ask if she would get me another one or if I would like something else from the menue. I didn't eat the steak. So she would have been told about it's return to the kitchen by the staff. We didn't have dinner their any other night after that. We found other restaurants outside the Hotel. We met Jane on numerous occassions after that but not a word was mentioned about the steak. That is until we were leaviing, She said that she hoped we had forgiven them about the steak. Incidently, we were still charged for it on our bill .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FinolaIreland
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We've stayed before and we will again. We're DFL's (Down from London) and it's a favourite spot for a weekend break. WBH is a unique experience and you stay partly for the experience and partly for its location (seafront, Broadstairs, Canterbury, Whitstable)

Don't stay at WBH if you want a slick 5 star experience, you'll be disappointed. Do stay if you will enjoy the slightly eccentric ambience that permeates the place and staff. As an example, our bottle of wine was served already opened. On challenging this practice the answer was that it was thought to be acceptable "..with these new screw top bottles"! Normally that would have had me spitting nails but, at WPH, it was just another enjoyable piece of eccentricity. I drank my wine with a chuckle.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank xk140fhc
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I must disagree with Sussexperson's review. I have stayed twice at the hotel and both times thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff were helpful and friendly and the atmoshere and unique decor and furnishings a refreshing change from the identikit hotels that have sprung up in recent years.

The bedroom was large with a very comfortable double bed, a leather sofa and a seaview from the window!

Breakfast was ample and tasty and the dinner excellent.

Thank goodness for places like Walpole - eccentric, one-of-a-kind establishments. And no I don't want the staff dressed in period costume!

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank BabaCirencester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kingsgate
Sherwood Hotel
Sherwood Hotel
#6 of 12 in Margate

Been to Walpole Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!