“Pleasant staff”
Review of Glenwood Hotel

Glenwood Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Margate
Glenwood Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Pleasant staff”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed here for two nights. The hotel is dated, the staff were friendly and helpful and no you don't get the efficiency you would from corporate trained staff, but be patient you get there in the end. The rooms were reached through an interesting maze of corridors but the room we had was clean, the bedding etc acceptable. I was concerned about the strange smell coming from the dining area and avoided dinner. I did go to breakfast. I was offered tea, coffee toast, there was an assortment of cereal and juices. I had bacon and egg which was fine. My only concern was the jam in jars. I don't want to eat anything that has had unknown cutlery dipped in it.
My biggest complaint is cockroaches. Two of our party had visitors. I know these can be a problem in old buildings, I would have stayed again, possibly, if in the area, but not with these.
The staff are doing a good job, the hotel is being tidied up, maybe a bit on the cheap side. The cheapest place I've ever stayed, can't really expect opulence. Margate is run down but the Turner Gallery and Old Town is well worth a visit. Glenwood does the job, no frills, but adequate. If you're not happy speak to the staff. I might give it a try in a while once the renovations are finished. Please do something with the dining area, it has so much potential, but please that beautiful floor is disgusting. Sand and varnish would inspire confidence. Tidy the staircase down so it doesn't look and smell like the entrance to Hades.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. If it's not up to scratch, change it.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lesley B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We attended a wedding in Margate and for some reason cheap hotels were few and far so eventually I found this one. It was just off the main seafront which in good weather is brilliant and easy to find. The welcome was very nice and the room although a bit mismatched was comfy and clean. The bed and pillows were great which is a result in itself ! I do so dislike silk flowers covering every surface and this hotel had quite a few vases of them going on and on the breakfast table too, but that is just my pet hate. The breakfast was good and my partner had poached eggs on toast and the eggs were very good which is another result! We would stay here again if we couldn't find anywhere else, but fair to them they are doing refurbishments so may be better next time.

Room Tip: Much the same I think .
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holsnan
wolverhampton
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed at The Glenwood with a party of 25 lads. Staff excellent, rooms clean and far better value than other seaside towns, breakfast fine (especially the lady serving them-a great laugh). Bar opened for us even when we returned late-all in all a great deal to be had at The Glenwood.

Margate itself is going through a small upheval and this leads to a couple of nice areas by the front (ie The Old Town). A tip however is try Broadstairs for the day ( can get there by bus or approx £6 in taxi from hotel) - greta little place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank russwolves
Takeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

After trying to alter booking by phone was told this was not possible !
On arrival the reservation could not be found !!
Someone somewhere wasn't being honest !!
The general state of the place is very dated and the location is amongst many undesirables !

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Richard H

Travelers are raving about these Margate hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We did not come expecting luxury since we knew the hotel was half the price of all the others in he area. After reading the reviews we arrived a little apprehensive but the management and staff Could not have been more helpful (apart from the night porter of course). They provided us with a huge breakfast and brought us more of whatever we needed. The location was fairly good as we were attending a function in the immediate area but it was quite a walk from the centre of town (taxis are very cheap though). The rooms were dated but clean, even if the plumbing was a little nois. Nothing special but did the job for one night. Some of the more permanent guests made me feel like this was Definitely not a holiday spot but we got what we paid for and what we expected!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend, was a bit apprehensive reading other reviews as it was a last min booking, but totally value for money. Hotel is very homely, staff are really friendly, helpful and nothing is too small. Breakfast each morning was nice, a good selection. The room was quite a fair size and accommodating, not a problem. Hotel is not far from shops, restaurants and the main beach, all within walking distance. Definitely would come back and highly recommendable. Value for money. Stayed here with my family of 3, sharing one room.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank adriansawyers
Aarschot, Belgium
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Booked this room 20 minutes before arriving after deciding against sleeping in the car. Room ok, bathroom REALLY small, both relatively clean. When flushing the toilet it kept making a lot of noice for a good 5 minutes. Thought I had broken it at first. Guy at arrival friendly, older man in the morning seemd a bit grumpy. On-street parking, free, but you have to be lucky to find a spot. Windows with single glass, lots of birds, awoken at 5 am. Also no decent blinds, so light came also in from around 5 am. Breakfast was a disaster. An older woman, all on her own (she was complaing to all guests), apparantly another lady had not shown up. Everything looked a bit dirty, so I ended up grabbing 2 bananas and checking out straight away... The room itself was defenitely ok, not so bad as said in other reviews. Although it should have been priced ten pounds cheaper.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Travelodge Margate Westwood
Somerville Hotel
Somerville Hotel
#8 of 12 in Margate
Holiday Inn Express, Ramsgate - Minster

Been to Glenwood Hotel? Share your experiences!