“Room ok, besides that disaster”
Review of Glenwood Hotel

Glenwood Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Margate
Glenwood Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Booked this room 20 minutes before arriving after deciding against sleeping in the car. Room ok, bathroom REALLY small, both relatively clean. When flushing the toilet it kept making a lot of noice for a good 5 minutes. Thought I had broken it at first. Guy at arrival friendly, older man in the morning seemd a bit grumpy. On-street parking, free, but you have to be lucky to find a spot. Windows with single glass, lots of birds, awoken at 5 am. Also no decent blinds, so light came also in from around 5 am. Breakfast was a disaster. An older woman, all on her own (she was complaing to all guests), apparantly another lady had not shown up. Everything looked a bit dirty, so I ended up grabbing 2 bananas and checking out straight away... The room itself was defenitely ok, not so bad as said in other reviews. Although it should have been priced ten pounds cheaper.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Glenwood Hotel

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Two night break at the Glenwood Hotel, Friday and Saturday night.
Poky room with a three quarter sized bed and not a double with springs poking through the mattress.
Shower OK, if you weighsix stone!! Its so small. Leaky, smelly toilet. Sink in bathroom OK if your midget height!
Small window with a view of next doors wall and barbed wire, thought we were in Beirut not Margate!
Woke up by banging from a child above us at 5.30am, they live there! The hotel obviously takes DSS residents. Although I do realise times are hard and they have to live somewhere they had no respect for paying guests who come for a break!
Breakfast......dirty tables, with shared jam and marmalade jars, we did wonder about infection control or the lack of it. Breakfast basic, no choice of brown or white bread. The old waitress gives the impression that you either take it or leave it.
We paid £108 for two nights and we didn't expect much but we even felt robbed!
Gone home for a rest and would never return.

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MP123_12
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Very clean bright and well presented family room, tea and coffee and free view television. Classic breakfast in the morning. Room could do with better curtains though.

Only downside is the street - noisy seagulls cats and kids late at night - good location for seafront and great kids playground at the end of the road but a bit of a trek from the old town.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Michael L
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Paid £27 for a stay here on my own as I decided to go last minute and my friends hotel was booked up. Rang the hotel and advised them I'd be arriving late the man on the phone who sounded lovely said it wouldn't be a problem and that he would leave a note for the night porter.

Arrived at the hotel at 4:30 on my own and it was raining heavily. Rang the bell numerous times but nobody answered, rang the phone numerous times and finally a creepy old guy came out of the office in his socks (think Mr Filtch off Harry Potter) who stood staring me deciding whether to let me in or not, eventually he opened the door and gave me a good telling off for turning up so late, I told him I had rang to check if it was ok and he said "not at 5am", I told him I'd been stood outside for 30 minutes and he made some form of noise at me and threw my key at me (without even asking for my name) with vague directions (then told me off for going the wrong way). No information on breakfast/check out times.

Got to the room which I was dreading but to be honest it was OK, small double bed (vvvveeeeerryyyy soft) and clean sheets, clean towels and a clean bathroom so room not so bad.

Was woken up at about 9:30am to a couple rowing upstairs and the room getting trashed. Rang down to reception and asked what time check out was, the woman told me 10:30am (although booking.com says 11am), I asked her about breakfast and she told me I was too late (it was 10am) so can't comment on that.

Went downstairs to check out and there was a load of blokes who looked like they lived there sat in the communal area drinking and staring- glad I was checking out. Waited for the woman on reception to finish having a conversation with her friend and gave the key back, not so much as a goodbye. Do not stay, here if you're female and alone. I didn't feel at all safe in this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Gemma P
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We booked the Glenwood primarily due to location and price and were pleasantly surprised with what we got for our money. Bearing in mind we paid £25 pppn we had a clean and spacious en suite room which was cleaned daily by the chambermaid and to a high standard. There was not dirt or dust on the room.
The staff had been there for years and were welcoming, friendly and quirky - full of character which made the hotel more endearing overall, Nothing was too much trouble - the ghost hunting evening porter was happy to get plates and cutlery ready for us when we popped out for takeaway and the irish receptionist didn't mind looking after our bags when on arrival we needed to pop to the cash point - she's been there years love, not going anywhere now!!

It was obvious they were experienced and knew what people wanted from their hotel, they were friendly without being intrusive.

Realistically if you're looking for a romantic break away this is probably not for you but if all you need is somewhere clean to put your head and a hot meal in the morning then this is perfect!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This hotel is a disgrace. Whilst working in the area for a few days I spent 4 nights here. Whilst some of the staff are quite pleasant there are a pletho of issues: 1.the cleanliness of breakfast crockery and cutlery is appalling. we went through 5 glasses to find one that was sort of clean. 2.the food was so cheaply made I honestly do not believe that a pig had ever mafe it into their breakfast sausages. 3.it stinks of filth and fag smoke in the reception, breakfast room and no doubt some rooms. 4.the beds are only slightly better than camp beds 5.the pillows are utterly useless. Like sleeping in a tissue or 2. 6.and to top it off they allow exceptionally loud music to disturb guests just because they wanted to make a few extra quid from their function room. This went on until 2am. This is not a hotel. This is a doss house.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Anna M
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I booked a two night stay for myself and my fiancé at the Glenwood over new year. We were unsure what the hotel would be like because of the negative reviews the hotel has received, but we thought we would give it a go especially as it was just £99 for both of us for two nights...I was not able to find a cheaper hotel in Margate!! Once booked I told my father and step-mother who also told the plunge and booked a room too. After arriving and settling into our rooms we were all pleasantly surprised!! Reviews I had read made me think the hotel was going to be terrible but it was clean, comfortable, the breakfast was ideal for the morning after the night before, there was plenty of on road parking right outside the hotel and all the staff were helpful and welcoming. My only piece of advice if you do choose the Glenwood is not to be too fussy; the hotel could do with a lick of paint, and a general update but for £25 each per night what do you expect?? This is a locally run business...not a Premier Inn that can afford to charge cheaper rates! If you are used to staying in higher end accommodation perhaps this hotel is not for you, but if you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep for a couple of nights this hotel is ideal...remember, you get what you pay for!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family