“Now refurbished, a very nice & clean place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Glenwood Hotel

Glenwood Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Margate
Glenwood Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Llanberis, United Kingdom
“Now refurbished, a very nice & clean place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

After reading the previous reviews on here prior to my 3 night stay at the Glenwood it would be fair to say I was having some reservations about the weekend. However it must be said I was more than pleasantly surprised and it most certainly is not comparable to the past reviews on this site.

I stayed in the newly refurbished room 101 which was spotlessly clean and well appointed. A good sized bathroom and a shower with good water pressure which was a pleasant surprise based on my previous experiences with staying in family run hotels. I also had a peek in some of the other bedrooms folk from our group were staying in and the quality was consistant throughout.

The staff were very friendly and special mention has to go to the endearing Bridget who booked us in and also served us our breakfasts. Think of a cross in character between Mrs Brown (of Mrs Browns Boys) and Father Jack (without the swearing). A real character and doesn't miss a trick, on the first morning I did not eat my fried tomatos...on the second 2 mornings I didn't get any & had extra bacon or sausages instead, that's the kind of personal service you would only get in a family run hotel such as this. On the subject of breakfasts they were superb, a full fry up inc black pudding, as much toast and tea as you want and no rush to get you out afterwards.

The bar prices are very reasonable and all in all it has to be one of the best value family run (as opposed to chain) hotels I have stayed at.

Yes Margate is a bit of a dump which seems to have become a staging post for Easter European immigrants but you can't blame or criticize the hotel for that, or whether the council maintains the street outside.

Would I stay again? Definitely will be staying here next time I am in Margate.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Snowdonred

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

i have never stayed in such a slum, we would have driven home after a night in Turners had we been able to drive ! We couldn't wait to get out !
The bathroom door wouldn't close, the lights didn't work, the toilet was leaking over the bathroom floor if thats what you call it ! The basin was as big as an eye bath.
I should have twigged when we checked in and the receptionist asked me what todays date was !

Room Tip: Don't stay here ! NO bar either to drown your sorrows :-(
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mel s

Travelers are raving about these Margate hotels

Ramsgate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as emergency accomodation and i would rather have slept on the street, paying £30 a night, which is the going rate for a single bed. There is nothing nice about this piece of crud hotel, and i cannot write it all in paragraphs as i would be here for the rest of my life, therefore i will list it:

The place stank to high heaven, It smelt like corpses.
Blood on my bedsheet
The Chambermaids smoke in the rooms.
The staff smoke in the rooms.
Wifi doesn't reach the bedrooms.
Scummy guests, the police were round several times during my stay.
Old telly, only 3 channels worked,
Items stolen from room
Lock didn't work on the door.
Brown stain in the shower.
Staff were rude and inconsiderate.
No smoke/fire alarm system.
Door handles falling off.
Old worn carpets.
Black mould on the bathroom wall.
Dirty, Broken Kettle.
Clear signs of fire damage in the room.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Margate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed at the Glenwood for a week; I was expecting a disgusting slum filled with the worst people cliftonville had to offer, However I was pleasantly surprised. Instead of the hovel I anticipated it was a cosy little place to stay!

When i first arrived at the hotel it appeared a little run down - as if i'd stepped into something from the 1950's, although when i checked out the week after it had been updated, with new paint, flooring and a new reception desk. There was a funny smell in the foyer but by the end of the renovations this was gone, therefore i must assume it was caused by the paint.

The room was generally clean and tidy, although there was a pubic hair on the lampshade and a unidentified stain on the edge of the bedsheet, however it had been washed, the bathroom was pretty clean, i didn't use the shower, but the toilet was cleaned daily and the beds were re-made with new sheets every day.

In the bedroom there was a kettle and an assortment of Tea and Coffee making facilities, the television was small and only picked up 4 channels, There was Wi-fi access in the hotel however it was limited to the downstairs area.

The staff were slightly odd, however they were generally polite and helpful, I left a DVD case in one my room one day and it was cleared away when the room was cleaned when I was out but it was returned to me the next day.

I slept extremely well at night and the other guests were quieter than expected.

The Glenwood is a nice hotel to stay at, unfortunately it is bought down by the area it is in. if this hotel were in another town I am sure it would be doing very well. I would recommend as it is a low price hotel and you get a nice comfortable bed in a warm, safe room: what more do you need?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tom M
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

stayed here for 1 night ok hotel is cheap but room was dirty shower water luke warm at best and the stale smell that runs tgrough the hotel was awfull add to that the noise outside this is not a hotel if you want a good nights sleep

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank kevin h
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

There was blood on my sheets! The carpet was grubby, and the street had police patrolling it regularly. What a total dump! Do not visit!

Our shower kept filling up and when we went down to reception to ask if they could do something about it, we were told there was nothing they could do and we would just have to keep pumping the plug with our hands! The friend I stayed with now has an infection on her foot! The toilet seat looked like it had been chewed on by a dog, and there was this odour throughout the hotel like old, stale people.

We received the most weird welcome from the hosts too!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Kristie J
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

This is where old people come to die, but before they do that, they sit in the communal area all day long in their favourite lounge chairs. Someone, somewhere is smoking indoors which I personally don't care about but a) it's illegal and b) doesn't make for a pleasant aroma on arrival. The kitchen could do with a more effective extractor fan too in order to eliminate the cooking odours which also permeate the reception area. And then there's the unmistakable smell of the aforementioned old people...

My room gave an indication of what it might be like to be incarcerated in a sort of half-way house, for perhaps the socially inadequate, the criminally insane - it is as one previous reviewer suggested - like borstal. Tiny, dark and giving off an aura of impending danger - I got, I guess, what the price suggested - cheap and nasty.

In a more fair world the guests would be offered money to stay here, not the other way round - however that's not the way the world works but you can help yourself in one tiny way by choosing an actual hotel and not this poor excuse for a roof over your head.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business