“Interesting venue”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Interesting venue”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Visited the Winter Gardens December 2012 to see Keane in concert, having seen the same band at the O2 3 days previously. This much smaller venue was great, a short queue outside to get in (probably because we were a tad late, the support act was already on stage as we got in). Quickly through security and quite efficient cloakroom. The hall itself was lovely and I really enjoyed standing in a crowd of good humoured fellow enthusiasts. Adequate loos easily accessible from the hall, cheerful bar staff with reasonable selection of drinks, albeit pretty pricey. Fantastic atmosphere during the Keane set, both the audience and the band seemed to be having a great evening. Bit of shuffle to get out afterwards, which I found a bit worrying had there been an emergency evacuation, and the queue to collect coats moved slowly...hey ho, a minor point.

Forgot to mention earlier, had booked the tickets by phone - a novelty for me as have always booked concert tickets online but Margate don't have this facility. Box office lady was cheerful and efficient, exactly as she should have been, but definitely worth noting and kudos to to the team.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank lovelylel57

London, United Kingdom
232 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 230 helpful votes
“More Giant Village Hall Than Theatre”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been to the Winter Gardens for a number of events including comedy shows and both standing and seating concerts. The atmosphere in there feels very local mixed with a very old fashioned feel to the building and decor. Due to this you feel like you're in a giant village hall rather than a large theatre.

There is plenty of room, especially in the bar, and it has always been very clean when I have been there! However as far as venues for concerts in particular go, I would much rather pay extra and travel to London. The sound quality in here is not world class by a long way, and I think due to this it works really well for local bands, but not so much with bigger acts.

One thing which is often a cause of annoyance for me is that they often shut the bar during performances and re-open during intervals, which can sometimes lead to a huge rush to get drinks, and it hasn't been just the once where I have gone to the toilet before queuing for a drink and not getting to the bar quite in time.

However having said all this it does work pretty well for comedy acts where the sound quality doesn't have to be quite as high, so I think it really does depend a little on what sort of act you're going to be seeing there.

Visited May 2012
Margate, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Peter Andre concert November 2012”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

As a venue I would not recommend Margate Winter Gardens. We went to see Peter Andre and despite collecting our tickets in advance we were made to que outside the venue for over an hour in the rain. We missed the first act - The Risk who were the main reason for some people in our party going to the concert in the first place so we were cold, wet and very dissapointed!

Everyone had to wait to be issued with wrist bands even though they had tickets which took ages. 95% of the people attending the concert were women so it took a long time to search all the handbags! A body scan was also done before allowing anyone to enter the main hall. Although I agree security is very important, I think this could have been handly more efficiently and it seemed excesssive considering the audiance!

A lot of people (my daughter included) had perfume in their handbags which was confiscated, this would have been OK if there had been some kind of advance warning that this would happen, perhaps on the tickets. We were told this is standard practice, how are we meant to know this and what's the point of displaying a notice inside the venue on the night of the concert when it's too late!!

Peter Andre was fantastic as always!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Lyn2012479
Canterbury, United Kingdom
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“The Winter Gardens”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The decor inside is wonderful, very evocative of the music hall genre. There is a good variety of things taking place there from meals with dancing, ballet, music, etc. The seating area is vast. My only complaint was the temperature inside was a little on the cool side for sitting down to watch a show of more than an hour.

Visited October 2012
Rochester,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Spoilt by hecklers”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Very average old theatre. Saw the Stewart Francis show. The first comedian gave up after half an hour because two hecklers at the back kept shouting "Roobob!" for some inexplicable reason. During the break, they promised security they would behave and were allowed to stay. Then during Stewart Francis' spot, they started to take photos of each other so he had to tell them to "Shut the **** up!" My memento of the evenng was an autographed ping pong ball (Don't ask).

Visited September 2012