“Amazing breakfast!”

Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing breakfast!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'd heard great things about Fort's and was not disappointed. I had Welsh rarebit on sour-dough toast with a poached egg on top; delicious and really nice to find a breakfast menu which is a different to the usual. I love the decor in the cafe (including blackboard and chalk for children to scribble on) and it's got a lovely laid-back, friendly atmosphere. The staff were lovely and friendly. I live locally and will definitely be back to try the rest of the menu. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Rose J

London, United Kingdom
“Heaven in a Cafe”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Fort's Cafe is a real gem. My partner and I found it via Tripadvisor and made it a priority when visiting Margate. Brunch will never be the same again. For a reasonable price I had a hearty chorizo and streaky bacon roll with rocket. I'm afraid I was a bit like Meg Ryan from 'When Harry Met Sally' whilst eating it - it was that good. Great flavour, generous and elegant portions, and even better - they do alcohol and good alcohol at that! If you want a decent ale or quirky lager or shot of Vodka, at Forts you can get that. My partner had one of the specials (yes, they have a specials board too) and found it equally divine. Later that day we were dining at The Ambrette (also in Margate). For me, Forts stole the show. Service was also excellent. Even though I don't live near, one way or another, I shall be returning to this little gem in Cliftonville. If you haven't been, stop reading this and go!!!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank AFGFXH
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice Enough”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We popped in here as we were in the area and saw it recommend. Atmosphere was good and staff were pleasant, though the service was ridiculously slow. Food was nice enough, though the tomatoes were far from grilled and bacon was only just cooked. It did the job but it was far too expensive for what is was and certainly over hyped. Don't think I'd pay for it again.

Stewart T, Owner at Fort's Cafe, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thanks for your review and we're really sorry about the service you received this weekend.
We'd like to reassure our customers that we'll be all-hands-on-deck to make sure that service is sped up from next week.
We have a new chef who is just familiarising herself with our kitchen and menu and we're sorry if things have been a bit slower than usual.
We hope that our servers offered you a drink on the house while you were waiting. It was an exceptionally busy weekend so all the staff were doing their best to look after the customers while the dishes are cooked to order.
Thanks also for your feedback about the food. We take all comments very seriously and we'll make sure that this is acted upon.
As for the price, it reflects what we pay for our ingredients which are all from fantastic local farms, farm shops and bakers. We hope we usually do the ingredients justice.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Penny and Stewart
Kent
“Breakfast”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We'd heard good things about Forts so gave it a try today. As another reviewer said, the interior isn't that inviting (though its retro it doesn't feel like a lot of effort went into creating it other than sourcing old bits of furniture) however once inside was quite cosy with a nice view of the sea. The veggie breakfast was 7.50 which is more than a lot of places; our breakfasts were tasty, hot and a good size, though I still think, on the expensive for what you get, including environment and atmosphere. The service was friendly, just a little niggle was receiving our food sometime after other customers who ordered after us. All in all it was a nice breakfast but I don't think we'd rush back to be honest.

• Visited October 2013
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Scrambled egg cooked to perfection!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Went here for lunch with my sister, I had the scrambled egg & chorizo. It was cooked to perfection although could've done with a little more egg. My sis had mushrooms on toast with a sausage to ride she said it was delicious! All day brunch menu at the moment so don't go expecting lunch.
Really enjoyable, friendly staff, will definitely be going back.

• Visited September 2013