“How does it stay open?” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cartons

Cartons
Ranked #2 of 3 Bakeries in Margate
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout
Kent
“How does it stay open?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Twenty years ago when I regularly visited Margate this was one of the smarter cafes in the town. Sadly for this place time moves on. I popped in for old times sake to grab a pasty on a Saturday morning I happened to be in the town. It's one of the few businesses left in the arcade, and I was amazed it was still there. I followed the rather forbidding sign and waited for takeaway service at the appointed point (not the most friendly of welcomes), and waited. The place was largely empty, but it was a few minutes before I was served. To be fair when I was served the young girl was friendly enough. I opted for the lone cheese and onion pasty (from the lack of food on display they obviously weren't expecting much business). No offer to warm it up, and no paper napkin. I think from the taste of it, it had probably been sitting there since Friday morning - the puff pastry had turned hard. The pastry wasn't the worst thing about it either - the filling was a foul tasting mush with no discernible texture. Maybe would have been edible warmed up, but cold it was essentially inedible.

With so many decent cafes down in the Old Town I won't be going back. A trip to Greggs would even be preferable.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Man_about_Kent

Margate, United Kingdom
“worst place to eat in the town”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

Cartons is the worst place to eat in the town, we ordered our food at the counter, but each time we was told "Its not available" all they had was bread what is the point of being in business with nothing on the menu available, this has happeed to many of our friends too, if you are lucky enough to get your food you have to wait between 40 minutes to an hour for it to be delivered to your table by that time it is cold.

The tea and coffee tastes like something thay got from the drains

2 Locals