“Overpriced lukewarm coffee”

Turner Contemporary Cafe
Ranked #35 of 198 Restaurants in Margate
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our creative catering team work with honest seasonal food. We are committed to supporting local businesses, with at least 80% of ingredients sourced from independent Kent suppliers and only use fresh ingredients.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I've been to the Turner Contemporary several times but their cafe leaves something to be desired! My coffee was strong, powdery and it wasn't even hot! I couldn't finish it. We also had cake, which was fairly tasteless and cost much more than I'd expect to pay. Felt pretty ripped off to be honest. There are many nice cafes around Margate Old Town and I just go there instead now.

1  Thank Redilma P
Marcio M, Manager at Turner Contemporary Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Redilma

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Turner Contemporary Café. Feedback is valuable in order for us to rectify any glitches.
The only thing we expect from the customers is to point out any issues or problems with their service during their visit so we can get it resolved in the same day preventing any disappointment. I also would like to let you know that after you complaint we have put a system in place to inspect the quality of the service and other aspects in the café.

When you are next in the area please do give us another try as I have instructed staff to offer you a complementary cake & coffee, you just need to bring this response with you and show to one of our café staff.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Sincere apologizes

Marcio Morali
Catering Manager

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I ordered the autumn special, a lamb stew, and a cheddar toastie for my 2 yr old. My portion was quite small and just about warm, with a few leaves of lettuce. The lamb was dry. My son got 2 very thick slices of hard crust bread covered in melted cheese. Not very child friendly for something ordered from the children's menu. He didn't manage to eat more than half of it. We left feeling unsatisfied and £15 lighter, which is a lot for such a disappointing meal.
I would not recommend and I would not go back.

1  Thank PollyMack

Dear Polly

Firstly, please let me apologize for your disappointment with our autumn special and the cheese toastie at our cafe.
Having received your complaint, I discussed the issues with our head chef, who of course has asked that I pass on his apologies along with my own. After a discussion he insured me that he will investigate what went wrong and made sure it would not happen again. When I received your complaint I was quite surprised because since we had the Lamb stew on the special we have received a good feedback but maybe we fail to double check our standards on that day. About the cheese toastie it was something added to the menu after a customer survey so we have asked the customers what they would like to have in the children s menu and cheese toastie was one of the top on the list. We both believe we can do better, which of course we must!

Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and we hope that you give us another go.

Kind regards

Marcio Morali
Catering Manager

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Margate doesn't exactly have much to offer food-wise, particularly out of season, so we were pleased there was a cafe at the Turner Contemporary. I particularly recommend the smoked haddock and mussel chowder, served with a huge chunk of lovely granary bread (thankfully not the ubiquitous sour-dough) and fresh tangy salad leaves. Other soups are good too, served with a savoury herb scone with or without local cheeses, and lovely cakes. It's all local produce and even the farms are named. Service was excellent after the long queue to place our order, although the cafe was very crowded (Saturday lunchtime). Lovely views if you get a table over the sands. Wish it was open for dinner, too.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

As we are trying every venue in Margate, for Saturday Breakfast, we gave The Turner a go.
Service was excellent, and as they don't do a full "English", we had Eggs Benedict.
Well, I've had EB in quite a few "Posh" Hotels, but this was the best that I have had. The pot of Tea was good, but the atmosphere is a bit clinical.
All in all I would recommend that you give it a try.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The food and views here are very good.
Fish soup I've had a couple of times and is very good.

It's a shame they stopped their brunch menu as they had some great food on there.

But for a quick lunch, tea, coffee and cake worth a visit.