“Beautiful, special little hotel. We loved everything about it.”
Review of The Reading Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Margate
The Reading Rooms
Ranked #2 of 11 Margate B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went for two night just for a little getaway from London. We wanted to spend some quality time together as a couple. This place was ideal. It's beautiful. It is as beautiful as the pictures, so u will not be disappointed. Its a bit like staying in someones house, but better. We stayed in the first floor room. I didn't see the others. I actually didn't see the other guests either! The room is gorgeous. Simple but really beautifully done. Huge and with huge windows which look into the green square. It's private too so no worries. The bed is so big and comfortable and beautiful. We spent most time just laying around. The bathroom is huge and gorgeous. Beautiful shower with great pressure and amazing roll top bath. We loved it. It's just the perfect place for a romantic few day hideaway. The breakfast is incredible. The lovely couple that owns it bring it to your room and sets it up on the table by th window in your room. The choices are amazing and all was super super good and quality. You choose what time to eat so it's really all on whatever schedule you want to be on. The only negative was that you hear people walking up the stairs really well and hear footsteps from the room above. But to be honest, we r super sensitive to that and it didn't bother us. We slept really well. I guess the top room won't have that problem but it didn't look as beautiful to us in pictures so not sure. Depends I guess. We wanted to big windows and high ceilings.
Margate was cute. The nice part is the old town and it's tiny so not sure what else to do there for more than a weekend. Little independent cute shops We exhausted it in one afternoon. But we went there to just relax in the gorgeous room so it was fine. Dinner options were really good. I recommend bebeached and the indian place, I don't remember the name.
We will probably go back next time we need a break like that! It was so easy to get to and so relaxing!

• Stayed: November 2012
LouiseOldfield, Owner at The Reading Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us here at The Reading Rooms. We are quite a private house and often you won't see us or the other guests during your stay except for delivering room service breakfast! the house is 18th century and has it's quirks as you say. We're really lucky with all the great independent shops and eating places that have sprung up around town and the area. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for The Reading Rooms

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the reading rooms on the night of our wedding. In all the rush of the manic day we totally forgot to go and collect the keys! The staff at The Reading Rooms were good enough to wait up for us and let us in. We were showed to our room which was spectacular! Everything was spotless and had everything we needed. Unfortunately we did not have time to stay for breakfast, we just asked for two cups of tea. The staff were kind enough bring not only two cups of tea but also two freshly squeezed orange juices, a basket of toast with a variety of spreads and jams. It was lovely. We would recommend The Reading Rooms to everybody! Friendly staff that make you feel so welcome, fresh and tasty breakfast, and all this in the centre of beautiful Margate. Perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank sashaprebble
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Reading Rooms exceeded our expectations and having read the earlier reviews, we had high expectations. We went with friends and both rooms were luxurious with a very large and very comfortable bed. The breakfast was excellent and the attention to detail quite outstanding. If anybody is thinking of going, stop thinking and go, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent. We stayed with friends in Room 1 and 2 and also viewed room 3.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JGZKent
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed at The Reading Rooms on the weekend. Absolutely gorgeous. View from room soared over the roof tops and down to the North Sea. Liam and Louise are fantastic hosts - Liam greeted me, led me to my eyrie, gave me all the information I would need and left me to it. In the morning, breakfast is brought to your room (there is a huge range of food) at whatever time you want and you are left in peace to enjoy it however you wish. So much nicer than going into a breakfast room where everyone speaks in hushed tones and keeps their eyes averted. The room was beautiful. Liam and Louise have great taste - the rooms are large, the bathroom massive - the furniture is French style, the walls peeled back to reveal the original paint coverings and then washed over. Am sure I have described that incorrectly but go there and you will see what I mean. It's quirky and beautifully done. The bathroom has claw foot bath and separate large shower. Double basins (oh, I do love my own basin!). The bed is a large super king or whatever they are called here. Big. The location is excellent. You are only a few mins walk to the seafront where the Turner Contemporary sits. The route we meandered through took us past interesting vintage shops into which I felt I had no choice but to disappear....As collectors of old things, we found the place charming and right up our alley, so to speak. I love Margate! We walked along the sea front to Cliftonville, past the old Lido, and were quite impressed by the wonderful Victorian buildings. Such views. We also drove to Broadstairs and explored a little but not enough because the weather on Saturday was gale force and the rain which turned into sleet was very unwelcoming....I had hoped to walk from Margate into Broadstairs but was impossible. I ran the half marathon here last year so was quite keen to walk as far as possible. It just means that I shall have to return again....and again. There is so much more to explore and I'm so glad that Margate people are so keen to make the place a happening joint once more.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank louisetasker
Reviewed October 26, 2012

After reading good things about the re-development of Margate, my husband and I decided on a long weekend. The re-development of the area is underway and there are some really good signs - the old town looks great, the beach is getting there and the Turner Gallery is a nice distraction. There is a great stretch of coastline to walk or run along too. You cannot however, miss feeling and seeng how rundown, in general, the streets and buildings are, upon venturing away from the old town. No-one seems to pick up after their dogs - the pavements were disgusting. There seemed to be alot of burnt out buildings and generally the atmosphere feels sad.

However, we stayed in an amazing B&B!! We were looked after and generally felt spoilt. We stayed in the top room (no.3) with views of the sea - amazing bedroom and bathroom. Breakfast was fab.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 13mazza
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The reviews below all describe this delightful and luxurious B and B. My sister and I arrived on a wet and windy Monday afternoon - earlier than we were expected. We were made very welcome, booked early into our rooms and given hot cups of tea before we set off on our trip down memory lane of Margate. I stayed in the room on the top floor and it was sheer pleasure - spacious, beautifully designed and so comfortable. Our hosts were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a feast. Hope I can stay here again some time.

Margate has so much to offer and I hope lots more people visit as it puts itself back on the map

Room Tip: Hard to choose as all three rooms are just great. Room 3 looks over the treetops to the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank gloria02
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Reading Rooms do not come cheap, but having stayed there for the first time on Sunday night, our conclusion is that they are worth every penny. Room 2 is simply beautiful, it was a privilege to spend the night there. Following a long soak in the bath - fabulous bathroom, enormous, the very lap of luxury - we lounged about in our dressing gowns, enjoying a decent bottle of red and a smooth jazz selection on the ipad. Sheer bliss. Then to bed, the most comforatble bed I have ever slept on, huge and soft, like floating on a cloud. Then, following a marvellous sleep, breakfast time! A really gorgeous breakfast brought to us in the room - wonders too many to detail, all of it simply delicious, and so much of it we didn't eat again until a snack late that night. The Reading Rooms are truly exceptional, and thoroughly recommended for a birthday, an anniversary or any time that you - like us this time - simply feel like treating yourself. Could not be better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple