“Awful”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hythe
London UK
“Awful”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked this hotel without reading any reviews because my previous bookings at Best Western Hotels have all been good.
Unfortunately this was not the case this time.
The whole hotel is past its sell by date - tired shabby and run down
Our rooms had bizarre upstairs bathrooms accessed by a steep narrow staircase. Impossible for anyone with mobility issues. Not much room to move in the small L shaped bathroom
The room was clean enough but the quilt cover had stains on which laundering had not removed
The card key failed to work every time we tried to gain entry to our room.
Not much fun when you are on the 3rd floor. The whole lock had to be dismantled by staff at 11pm to gain access to our room. ( Previous reviewers have also commented on this problem)
Soundproofing between rooms is poor.
Breakfast was very poor - offered full English breakfast which came with scrambled egg - not offered any choice of egg. Sat waiting ages for toast by which time breakfast was cold. Tea was lukewarm and teapot leaked everywhere. Fruit yoghurts came from THe Happy Shopper!!
All in all it was awful. I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank UKScrabbler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here while visiting family. We arrived mid evening and there was a lions do getting underway, even though there was a lot going on we were checked in quickly and without problem. Our room was on the 4th floor of what is an old, typically seaside, building. The room was VERY hot, but after turning off the radiators and opening the windows it became more comfortable. The bed was comfortable, sheets were clean, pillows could have been plumper though. Bathroom was ok, nothing to get excited about but it was clean, if a little tired.
The other reports regarding the staff are fair, they do try and are very helpful. Breakfast was self service in a very old fashioned room, sausage, scrambled egg, beans, hash browns, bacon were all plentiful, but could have been hotter. Toast was brought out promptly, and tea / coffee was topped up without issue. There was also some cereal options.
All in all I would stay there again, although I think this is because there is very little else to choose from in the area unless you want to spend much more on the imperial. I was a bed for the night, and on that it delivered.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete A
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Dined in the restaurant as one of forty or so members of a local organisation.
Menu:-
Carrot and coriander soup, colourless and tasteless.
Roast Turkey dinner, thin tasteless and texture less slices of white meat, undercooked, almost raw cauliflower and broccoli, (one piece of each), almost raw carrot, two small pieces of roast potato, two small round burnt spheres of something which turned out to be stuffing and two extremely small "pigs in blankets" which proved to be the best part of the main course.No cranberry sauce available either. All served cold.
Christmas Pudding, pasty catering portion covered in a yellow, watery, tasteless substance.
Coffee, brown hot water, even the replacement after complaining wasn't much better.
My partner's fruit salad was almost all apple with a couple of grapes and some very pithy bits of orange, no cream, ice cream or custard to accompany it.
The waiting staff were young, inexperienced but appeared to have been well trained and did their best. The kitchen staff, and / or management would appear to be the ones at fault.
A final insult was in the gents toilet where there were no paper towels in the dispenser,the hand drier did not work and only two wet, soggy, unhygienic hand towels available to dry my hands on. My partner reported similar conditions inn the ladies rest room.
If you can't cope with the numbers, don't accept the booking.
If you accept the booking, make the experience is enjoyable not a penny pinching abomination of a meal.
Expensive, disappointing, embarrassing for the organiser. I will not be coming back to this establishment.

Room Tip: Eat elswhere!
Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alan H
BWSCH, Manager at Stade Court Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you Mr. West for your feedback regarding your dining experience at the Best Western Stade Court Hotel.

I am truly sorry to have learned that you had disappointing experience with us. You have been patronizing the hotel since last few years and it really upsets us to hear about your disappointment. However, I am glad to inform you that I and Ash are back again and would take this opportunity to assure you deliver the same quality of food and standard of service as you have experienced in past with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warmest Regards

Neha
Manager

Travelers are raving about these Hythe hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Nice staff who tried their best to please.. Under new management, but the internet was hit and miss, the toilets did not flush properly, there were engineer spare parts left behind after they fixed the bathtub (for the previous guests), old guests had left cans of beer in the wardrobe etc etc....the breakfast fabulous !.. nice location, but an old hotel.. other guests in our party had weird rooms with bathrooms upstairs and an empty room (no furniture) connecting with them, one other room had to walk through the meeting room facilities (what you do when there is a meeting in progress??).. 50 pounds per night, well l guess that is good value, but if you want teh best, then try the Mecure just a bit further down the beach..

Room Tip: No pool, no gym.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
sansmandi, General Manager at Stade Court Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear ,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 01303 268263.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Excellent hotel with beach and sea view on the Kent coast. Rooms with very reasonable price, and excellent family rooms for those with children.
Superb breakfast included in the room price.
The only downside was the evening meal choice.... in my case, better to go out somewhere, as I don't eat foreign food choices. I would go look for an English carvery.
A chain hotel that I would rate as very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, that's what you are there for, I guess.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
East Anglia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

After a long journey with a meeting the next day, arrived at the Best Western Stade Hotel looking forward to a nice meal. The staff were not very forth coming in providing information. The reception area and bar was out dated to say the least. When we confirmed the timings of the Restaurant we were told it was not in use, and had to eat in the Bar which was just a Bar menu and not very well heated.

The rooms also need up dating.

Breakfast was also not what you would expect from a Best Western, most of the food was cold and poorly presented.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

First, the good points.
Easy to find.
Excellent location. Right on the sea front and near to the town means you don't have to drive to see Hythe from here. You can just leave your car and go exploring.
Excellent views if you get a seaside room.
Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Provided a travel cot and gave us a room with a lovely view of the sea when asked.

Now the bad points!
We were supposed to have a double bed and got 2 singles pushed together.
There was a massive damp patch on the carpet right underneath a part of the ceiling that looked like it had a big leak recently.
The covers provided for the kids had holes in, were stained, were very thin and looked like cheap old curtains.
The room was on 2 levels with the upstairs supposedly for our 2 year old. This would have proved lethal considering the steep narrow stairs and the fact that ONE OF THE WINDOWS DIDN'T CLOSE! We were on the 3rd floor and on the seafront in November. I then had to have the upstairs and my wife had our 2 year old in the bed next to her. I didn't get much sleep as the very thin, stained and holey cover didn't give much protection against the elements in November and the boy racers on the seafront didn't care that I could hear them through my open window.

To say that the hotel is dated is an understatement. It had a feeling of someone wanting to rinse every last little penny out of it without putting any money in. The curtains were threadbare and the net curtains were old and stained. The carpet is very worn going up the stairs and as you use them it easy to notice a massive hole in the roofing felt to another part of the building. This hotel would be lovely if someone were to spend some money on it.

I would have been angry if, again, the excellent staff didn't immediately give us 30% off. Made me think though that they know about the problems.

We will not be returning.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hythe
Hythe Imperial
#2 of 2 in New Romney
Grand Burstin Hotel
Grand Burstin Hotel
#8 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Stade Court Hotel? Share your experiences!