“Fab food, super staff”

Ranked #4 of 13 Coffee & Tea in Hythe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have eaten here previously, and, as we hadn't been for a while decided to have a late breakfast.
My wife had the scrambled egg with smoked salmon, and I had the scrambled egg with chorizo. I'm quite fussy, and requested that my toast was served on the side (not under the egg), & that my egg was soft (not, as is often the case, like rubber). Happily, the food arrived exactly as requested, & really was quite delicious. Here, I must give special mention to the chorizo - absolutely delicious.
With this we ordered a pot of tea & a black Americano with hot milk on the side - & again the coffee was lovely (strong & smooth without being bitter).
We persuaded ourselves that this was brunch, so followed with a superb carrot cake & a delicious cup cake - both really fresh.
Service was very efficient without being rushed, despite the fact that there were a number of people waiting for tables. The staff, whilst being young (& in certain cases young at heart!), we 're very friendly & nothing seemed too much trouble.
We will not be leaving it quite so long before returning to this little gem.

1  Thank guccigoo
There are newer reviews for The Nutmeg Cafe

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We treated ourselves to breakfast here last saturday & were not disappointed. Delicious food, quickly served in a warm, friendly & comfortable place.
Yes a bit more expensive than some cafes but you get what you pay for & that's good decent food.
We went back in week & sampled the cakes!!! Again delicious.

1  Thank sashharris
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I visited this place back in October 2012 and was impressed, so much so, we decided to pop back during our day visit to hythe in January. My partner and I both decided to have a coffee and bacon sandwich. First of all our coffee came out about 10 minutes before the sandwich which I personally like to have my coffee whilst eating my sandwich. The main problem though was the bacon sandwich itself. It was £3.95 for each sandwich which isn't cheap but we gave it go. It was fresh doorstep bread which was lovely, however we had 1 slice of bacon per slice of doorstep bread, so more bread than bacon so very disappointing for nearly £4 each. We will go back when next in the area as atmosphere is good and coffee is nice but wont be ordering bacon sandwiches again.

1  Thank Simon G
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Very crammed and uncomfortable. Long wait for mediocre food, tasteless coffee and tasteless tea ( I tasted my partner's - tap Tetley) . No idea what. People are raving about. Cakes looked good. But if the hot drinks , food and seating conditions are to go by.. don't waste your time - like we did!

2  Thank Tosca19
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Always a nice welcome awaits you at this cosy cafe. The service is good and the lunch or coffee and cake is just the ticket. Really tasty food well presented, good sized servings and a reasonable price.