“Food Not Good”

The Red Lion
Ranked #22 of 78 Restaurants in Hythe
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are proud to announce the recent management change. Situated in the beautiful town of Hythe, the Red Lion is a perfectly situtated for all types of visitors. Close to the beach and only 30 minutes away from Canterbury. Close to Dover, why not spend a few nights before travelling to Europe. Whether its for one night, a short break or a longer holiday you can be assured of a comfortable relaxing stay with us. Each room features individual decor, ensuite facilities, TV, WiFi and tea & coffee making facilities. We offer some deliciously tempting menus from lunches to evening meals and some fantastic mid-week meal promotions. Our Sunday lunches are very popular and we would recommend pre-booking your table to avoid disappointment
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We have been here before and liked the food, but the other night, the food was terrible. The pheasant was extremely dry, I left most of it and the pork chop was pink. We won't go back there again. Its a shame!

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Excellent value and very tasty food in pleasant informal dining area.

1  Thank Barbara T
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The Food is good value, nicely cooked and, on the whole, attractively presented. Wednesday and Thursday nights are buy one get one half price on main meals which makes it a real winner. The rack of lamb was very generous and the chick breast in sweet pepper sauce likewise. The menu is not vast but always something for everyones tastes. A two course meal, two drinks and a bottle of wine came to just over £50. My only critisicsm would be that the vegetables are all served mixed together in a bowl which lets it down a little.

1  Thank ThelmaLouiseKent
Reviewed February 11, 2009

We have been to the red lion a few times since the new owners and management team have taken over and I am quite impressed with the level of service and the quality of the food. When you first walk in the whole place is sparklingly clean,staff are friendly and welcoming. The service was prompt but unobtrusive and the food was worth waiting twenty mins or so as it was all freshly prepared and cooked for you and very tasty. I would definately recommend the red lion. if you are in the area give it a go. We asked if the rooms had also been refurbished to which the answer was yes and the owners were only to delighted to give us the grand tour, and from what I saw they were freshly finnished and looked spot on.

2  Thank haggiskent
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I didn't stay here (I live around the corner) so I can't comment on the rooms - the bar area is beautifuly done up but it tends to be quite empty when I walk past. I recently had lunch there, just a burger and it was pretty good. On the strength of that I returned last night (04/01/09) for a family meal. First comment would have to be about the welcome, friendly it wasn't, very offhand indeed. We ordered starters and a main course and even though there were only two others eating it took 45 minutes to deliver - when it came I had a single fishcake and a small side salad for the princely sum of £6, it wasn't nasty but it was bland. My main course was a lamb stew and my first bite was a bit of lamb that I was still trying to chew my way through 2 minutes later. I sent it back and they offered me another starter as something they could deliver quickly - it was quick this time but then it was only a bit of pate, again very bland. I also tried my partner's sea bass and it was overcooked and very chewy. In the pub's favour they did adjust the bill appropriately but if my partner hadn't had her wits about her we would have been wildly overcharged - basically they offered her the card machine but had advanced the process past where you can see the price and it was asking for her pin - she requested to see the price only to discover they had charged us over 3 times as much as our bill. Needless to say we wouldn't return, pity as it is a nicely furnished pub and has no TV or pool table (a big plus in my opinion).

1  Thank JonHythe_England

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!