“Very enjoyable experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hever B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable experience”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Always wanted to stay at this place, and wasn't disappointed. The room was lovely and staff friendly and helpful. When it was discovered that they had not received my request for a hamper, one was sorted out very quickly. We had a problem with the shower, it was fixed straight away.The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The breakfast which was served in a magnificent dining room, was super. I will defintely pay them a return visit soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed January 4, 2013

There is nowhere more stunning than this gorgeous property. Hever Castle has long been one of our favourite places, even before we learned you could stay overnight. Our overnight stay was flawless...until it came to dealings with the staff. It's the little things that make or spoil a visit.

Firstly, check-out is at 10 a.m., which is ridiculous. In the thousands of places I've stayed, I've never heard of a 10 a.m. checkout. Everyone slept in, so I called the front desk to ask for a late check-out, which usually isn't a problem. Not only did he say no, but he was argumentative. He wouldn't let us check out at noon, so I said, What about 10:30? And he replied, "If I let you stay til 10:30, you won't leave until 11." (Quite an accusation to make--and a wrong one, too.) So we vacated the premises. When we returned from the castle after 12, no one had touched the place to clean it! So his reason for refusing us wasn't even true.

We left something behind, and when I informed them, they said they would get back to us after talking with housekeeping, and they never did. At other hotels, I can usually expect to get back lost property. A luxury hotel should even post it to you.

I don't think this hotel has been around for long, so they may still be cutting their teeth on customer care. A place this beautiful should have equally brilliant customer relations. If you keep exchanges with staff to "hello, good morning," they are fine. Also, my comments do not apply to the staff on the castle grounds itself; from the shops to restaurants, everyone there was very professional.

It is possible too, that this property is so special, they just don't care. Guests can lump it if they don't like it. Whereas chains like Radisson Blu, for example, are in a competitive market, so their motto is 100% Guest Satisfaction, and their employees are empowered to make this happen.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JQ2009
Kate R, Manager at Hever Castle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Hever Castle Luxury Bed and Breakfast, we welcome all feedback and see it as an opportunity for us to continually improve our facilities and our service levels to all guests.
I am delighted to read that you rate our property as gorgeous and stunning, we are indeed very lucky to have such an historic venue set in such glorious surroundings.
Our guest check out time at Hever Castle Luxury Bed and Breakfast is 10.30am and not 10am. The reason for this is to allow us enough time to service all the rooms in time for a 3pm check in. We do however allow complimentary access to the castle and grounds to all our residents, not only on the day that you arrive but also for the full day on your day of departure. I apologise if this wasn't communicated to you in the correct manner by our staff, I will certainly be following up your email with all of our staff and the necessary retraining in customer service will be given where required.
If any lost property is found in our bedrooms we do endeavour to post it back to the owners. Please do contact me if you are still missing an item, I will check with our lost property department and return it to you if we have it.
I can assure you that we do pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and customer care and we are delighted that the majority of our reviews recognise this. However, please rest assured that one unhappy guest is all it takes for us to review our staff training, policies and procedures so that we can continue to strive for 100% guest satisfaction.
I do hope you will consider returning at some point in the future.
Kate Rowbottom.
Sales Manager
carlisle
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We travelled all the way from Cumbria to visit Hever castle, and were lucky enough to get a room in the Astor wing. The accommodation is beautiful, the beds are so comfortable and warm. The rooms have old features mixed with new and it works. We got free passes into the castle which we went round twice. Virtually have the gardens of the castle to yourself until the grounds open to public. The bed and breakfast has a billiards room and also a music room. The only thing missing was hearing horses in the courtyard. Fabulous place and would love to go back.

• Stayed November 2012
Whiting, Maine, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you are an American, save this visit until you have been in the UK for a few days and have your inner clock switched around. My daughter and I loved the grounds, the room was spectacular, the bathroom very nice, and well appointed. Because we had just flown in the night before our stay, it was tough to get out of bed into for Breakfast. A lovely treat!

Room Tip: Ask about the heat I the rooms, ours was far too hot for comfortable sleeping.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rugby
Reviewed December 21, 2012

A very warm and welcoming room, with such a comfortable bed. The bathroom was amazing, the breakfast was personal and delicious. We were lucky enough to be there for a Christmas evening at the castle, it was beautiful and very special. The staff could not do enough for us and were very pleasant. I would recommend this place to anyone,a real treat of a place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TreborLo
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Never written a review on tripadvisor before, however I stayed here on business on Saturday night and was so impressed by the staff and the quality of the accomodation I felt I had to. The staff were incredibly helpful, pleasant and went out of their way to ensure every requirement was met. The quality of the rooms and furnishings was exceptional. I am glad to have found such a great place and plan to return to spend more time here for pleasure as opposed to business.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank SamAP
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

What a wonderful, comfortable, interesting and historic place to stay! We stayed in the 'Clover' room, which is beautiful (although doesn't have a roll top bath or 4 poster). The bed was unbelievably comfortable - I would go so far as to say it was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!!! Having access to the Castle and grounds is a huge bonus, especially if you can get out for a walk before the place is open to the public.

Breakfast was fantastic, cooked to order. They could do with at least a bar in the evening, although we had brought a bottle with us, and the staff were more than happy to bring us a couple of champagne glasses on a silver tray! We drank whilst playing on their full size snooker table!

They recommended that we eat at the Henry VIII pub (5 mins up a dark lane - take a torch). This was a good recommendation as the food and atmosphere were great.

I would definitely go back again and again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hever
East End / East London
Sunborn London
Sunborn London
#151 of 1,069 in London
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Ship & Trades
#6 of 6 in Chatham

Been to Hever Castle Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!