TripAdvisor

More Info
from $467.38
More Info
3,346 results
All reviews anne boleyn hever castle astor family childhood home tudor history italian garden audio guide change of clothes gardens are beautiful large lake yew maze adventure playground rose garden sunny day boating lake formal gardens full bloom
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great day out for families with young children. Take a change of clothes and a towel for the water maze which never fails to entertain. The playground is another popular destination and the extension is now open and fully operational.
The only thing that spoiled our day was the grumpy unhelpful crew on the boating lake who not only failed to appreciate the task of organising 5 children under 5 into 2 boats of 5 people but also insisted that the 14 month old counted as one of the 5 people ,maximum per boat resulting in having to leave one of the adults behind!

Date of experience: September 2019
BethN583, Digital Marketing Assistant at Hever Castle & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the lovely feedback about the water maze and the playground. We are disappointed to hear about your experience with the boats and we will pass this on to the company who provide this service to us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We haven’t been to Hever for a few years so decided to take our French exchange visitors and we all thoroughly enjoyed the day. The house visit was their highlight as they took advantage of the French audio guide and were able to visit at their own pace. The gardens were beautiful and well looked after. We had lunch at the Pavilion cafe which was reasonably priced and not as busy as the Moat cafe. Although busy it didn’t feel like it! There is plenty to do for all ages. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a day trip with teenagers. Went rowing on the lake, explored the gardens & grounds - something else new & stunning round every corner. The castle was great too. I would thoughraly recommend this lovely place to anyone.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my mum decided to go out for the day so we chose heaver castle
Firstly it's very expensive and is alot of walking so if someones disabled or has problems walking like my mum think again its exhausting especially if your the one pushing the wheel chair.
The gardens are breathtaking and was our favourite part
On the entrence you can just pay to go to gardens I would opt for that choice next time around as the day cost us just under £80 by the time we paid to go in and for food again very expensive and drinks we couldn't go back if we wanted to really as it's just to expensive.
Plus the fact when you go into the castle you cant easily walk through as the cobbles are hard to walk on if your unsteady on your feet and your not allowed upstairs at all if you have walking problems so my mum was really upset she couldnt see upstairs.
If you plan your day you could save alot of money
Personally just visit the gardens take your own food drinks and dont take the kids to the gift shop

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank clarec282
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I decided to return to Hever after many years as when I went previous the castle was very dark and the grounds were disappointing - What a surprise I had when I went through the payment hut.

Immediately there was a military museum to see which although small was actually for me ( not a lover of military stuff) really interesting as it was not overwhelming. Plus it had loads of smaller corgi sized tanks on display which reminded me of younger days !!!! (smiles)

If you like walking - then you will love this place as it has something for everybody.- went to the castle first - what a transformation - I love architecture and the walls; pillars; rooms; ceilngs and doors had me oozing enthusiam - there was also a lot more light so it made the castle much more enjoyable and you had good views of the grounds from the windows. The staff in each room were so informative.

Afterwards my friend and I located the topiary chessboard which was amazing. The topiary in the grounds is worth a visit in itself. I loved for example the tortoise and the reindeer. The gardeners do a fantastic job as I told one of them when I saw the superb rose garden.

The Italian garden took my breath away - the colour and detail in each alcove had a different theme and the fountain at the front of the lake reminded me a little of the Trevi Fountain in Italy although obviously its not on the same scale and does need some tlc. But hey it was great.

I went for the afternoon as I did not think much was there but I ended up knowing that I have got to go back - I did not do the Yew Maze nor the Water Maze and I did not do the walk round the lake and the other walks that were advised as I ran out of time.

As for children - well they have the most splendid Dolls House museum which I feel would delight young children and adults too - the detail of the places on display were incredible and must have taken a lot of time and dedication judging by the attention to detail

There also seemed to be an adventure playground based on the castle and its grounds were being developed. There was a place where you could buy duck and swan food and the children that were there, seemed to be enjoying feeding the wildfowl.

Another good point was that there was a mass of seating and there was shelter. While I was there it rained but this did not spoil the afternoon.

The restaurant - I only had tea and although a little on the expensive side - Its a huge place and the financial upkeep must be massive so I found this not to be an issue, likewise the entry price which I thought was well worth it.

Hope this helps