“An enjoyable Sunday lunch”
Review of Le Petit Poisson

Le Petit Poisson
Ranked #34 of 139 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Herne Bay seafront overlooking the harbour and next to the pier, we specialise in seafood, but also have meat and vegetarian dishes available. All our dishes are cooked to order using fresh locally sourced seasonal ingredients and our menu evolves with the seasons, (it's available to view on our web site). Fully licensed; with a good selection of international and local, wines and beers. Our talented and friendly chefs are happy to cater for special dietary requirements given sufficient notice.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

A warm welcome on a very wet day! Once seated were presented with homemade bread accompanied by olives both of which were delicious. Starters of brown shrimp croquettes were enjoyed. Main meals ordered where mussels - small for a child and an adult portion, 3 x Dover sole with a mushroom filling with a selection of seasonal vegetables, child's cod and frites. All were enjoyed. Some of us went on and enjoyed dessert - the children loved the chocolate ice cream and chocolate sauce ... they were in chocolate heaven! Having eaten here on many an occasion this was yet another enjoyable meal in a great setting. Staff friendly who are welcoming and helpful and very obliging to adapting the menu to children's preferences! Many thanks! Will certainly be back soon.

There are newer reviews for Le Petit Poisson

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We are a group of friends who like to meet and chat over some good food. We picked Le Petit Poisson on recommendation of one of our group and were not disappointed. The food was of excellent quality and very good value. We had lunch there after a pleasant stroll along the coastal path from Reculver. We may not be going back as a group but certainly I will be making an early return visit.

1  Thank Jambos44
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I went to this restaurant with family on a Saturday lunchtime...we all had the set lunch menu, apart from my little girl who had the biggest and best pot of mussels she has ever tasted......:-) the lunch was exceptional!! High quality food to Michelin standard and a very good price. The oysters that we decided to have with our aperitif were fantastic and very fresh...the starters and main courses were great, well cooked and extremely well presented...faultless. The front of house staff were also very friendly and attentive with a good ambience created with the background music.

This restaurant is definitely worth a visit..as for the few unpleasant reviews on here, ignore them and see for yourself.....

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had a lovely meal on a very windswept and wet Thursday night.. Very appealing interior with plenty of choice for seafood lovers. Had the raw scallop/oyster starter which the waitress did warn me was raw, definitely not bothered by that, as I regularly love sushi! Very nice and followed by the cod with lobster bisque.. All very well cooked. Struggled to make my choice so have to go back!
Bread selection and olives free..
Service was also very good. My only comment is 'what's wrong with people not venturing out to watch the waves get blown up onto Herne Bay??' - we were the only table in there..
Will be returning on my next trip down..

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My partner and I have been eating in this restaurant for about 6 years..When we first found the restaurant as visitors to Herne Bay it was a charming place small but cosy and the food and ambiance excellent.Then the restaurant was refurbished and although bigger and more modern seemed to have lost much of its charm and french bistro atmosphere.However inspite of the new decor we continued to look forward to our meals here.The standard of the food over the years has definitely changed and not for the better but last year we did enjoy some very good lunches with a small but tasty menu.Unfortunately our latest visit this week was disappointing to say the least.The cold starter of oysters and other sea food was swimming in a liquid sauce what is was we have no idea however my partner did say it was enjoyable.The mussels with leeks,cider and cream were very tasty although the leeks did not seem to be cooked enough a minor critism.For the main course my partner had the seabream which although a very small portion was edible.My course however was in my humble opinion not up to restaurant standard.The description on the menu was sea bass with crust topping and a tomato compote.When the plate arrived it had what I can only describe as a tiny bit of fish swimming in liquid and drenched in tomatoes with a liquid which had vinegar and lots of sugar.I can honestly say I have never tasted anything like this and after just a few mouthfuls I could not eat anymore.We could have complained but did not want to spoil the day out by making a scene and so after a coffee and desert we paid the bill and left.I do not like to leave A negative review as the owners are such lovely people but on this occasion felt I had no choice.I do not think we will be returning to eat sadly as we cannot justify paying such high prices for small portions of mediocre food ..sorry petit poisson!!!

PetitPoissonUK, Owner at Le Petit Poisson, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

This is yet another review form someone who “remembers how things used to be” a time when the chef was cooking a “pub style” menu using ingredients sourced from around the world, being served in a poky restaurant with a sticky carpet, toilets which opened directly onto the dining area and a leaky roof which meant the paint was constantly peeling of the walls! As owners we suffered this for a number of years while we battled the local authority to get the enlargement plans passed.
Along with the refurbishment we brought in a new chef, we now source all our fish, produce and ingredients as locally as is practically possible, operate a seasonally driven menu which has resulted in us being recognised for our cuisine by Les Routiers, being awarded AA rosettes year on year and sighted as a recommended restaurant by the Michelin Guide.
The starter dish with the liquid sauce to which they had no idea just proves the point, it’s a Champagne Vinegar, the description is included on the menu, (take a look on our web site). I served this couple myself and so I know the food was up to standard as were the portions of Sea Bass and Bream. They were checked during their meal and no comment was made, if they were unhappy they should tell us and we would have done our best to give them what they wanted, after all we are nice people and customers are our business. On clearing their plates there was little to nothing left, so who ate the Sea Bass?
We have to ask ourselves why these people kept coming back for six years when there is a Harvester a mile or so up the road!