“Excellent!!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant after hearing great reviews and I must say we are very impressed.

We were greeted by all staff and felt welcome.

The decor was really nice and the restaurant is in a great location.

The food we had was the best indian food that we have ever had, we've been to India and the food at Maharaja was better. The flavours were amazing and the food cooked so well.

The price was slightly more than we've paid at other restaurants but the quality of the food is reflected in that price.

The only thing I could think of that would make a difference would be some staff may be able to work on customer service slightly, the restaurant is new so with experience that will get better I'm sure.

Definitely will return very soon and I'm certain that this will be the only Indian restaurant locally that we will ever visit now.

There are newer reviews for Maharaja

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I would not eat anywhere else for an Indian anymore. I'm amazed there is somewhere this good in Herne Bay. The quality and depth of flavours, the presentation and choice were exceptional. I've been four times and would go again and again. Never had a bad meal there and neither has anyone I've been with. The chef specials are wonderful and the bread is the best naan I've ever eaten. Everything tasted fresh and was beautifully cooked.
I'll get the negatives out the way quickly: service is incredibly slow of a Saturday night, BUT food worth the wait. Service very polite however one member of staff did in the past make us feel a little unwelcome. The food is too good to let this put us off.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Was recommended this restaurant by staff at its sister restaurant - Spice Lounge - in Faversham (which is a lovely restaurant with great service and food) sadly this cannot be said for the Maharaja. We phoned for the Sunday buffet and were advised to book as "it’s very busy" when we arrived there were 4 people there!! We were greeted by an extremely polite and nice waitress who showed us our table and said to just go and help ourselves. We had a quick look and this is when it started to go down!!!!! No plates- fresh fruit desert consisted of 4 pieces of melon a few grapes and very little else plus a bowl of melted ice cream - on the curry section all the lids were off so the tops of the dishes were exposed and beginning to get skin surfaces on them. On the starter section there was one spoonful of rice in both bowls 4 pieces of chicken tikka a spoonful of prawn curry and a large bowl of CHIPS!!! the other 4 bowls were empty we sat down. A few minutes later another long haired blonde waitress came we asked about the food and she said there will be more but anyway can you sit down as I haven’t even taken your drinks order we felt like greedy naughty schoolchildren two of our group ordered tap water and she raised her eyebrows. We waited 10 minutes still no food drinks came and we asked how long for the food she again snapped at us and said it will be coming theres food there anyewayand I’ve put cauliflower bhajis on their ........WOW. Another five or so minutes passed and we decided to pay for our drinks and leave the head waiter/manager was very apologetic but too little too late Our main reason for leaving was the wait for food and the appalling patronising attitude we had been given by the blonde waitress. Great shame – we went to the Raj in Faversham and had a wonderful meal service and food so I suppose we should be grateful for her attitude.

2  Thank 1953yumyum
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Friends and colleagues recommended this restaurant, but we were disappointed, probably because the food is very anglicised and we are accustomed to dining with Indian friends? The range and originality of the dishes was very impressive, we were quite excited by new main vegetarian dishes but again, for us they lacked something.

If you like a 'fusion' of East and West then perhaps this is the place for you?

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Have eaten here a couple of times and really enjoyed the standard of food. Now the sunny weather is here. Decided to try eating some nibbles al fresco. not often I get an afternoon to just chill and relax and we ordered an indian "Tapas" style dish with 2 vodka n cokes Two drinks were nearly £15.00 what!!! Daylight Robbery. Wish this place was a pub again, what a shame we let it go. Dont get me wrong the restaurant is great, but it serves the bandstand better as a pub.