“Why is it ranked so low?”
Review of Maharaja

Maharaja
Ranked #22 of 142 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Best friends were visiting from Australia and said they had developed a taste for Indian food and fancied a meal in a local restaurant. I normally don't visit Indian restaurants and as we were sitting by a lake fishing at the time couldn't do what I would usually do and check out local eateries on here. I did however recall all the fuss that was made about the new Indian restaurant opening at the Bandstand and vaguely remember some mention of them serving kangaroo so keeping with the Australian theme booked a table.

I was very impressed when I arrived with the friendly helpful welcome. My friends soon joined me and on looking at the stylish decor commented 'Are will still in Herne Bay?' The service was good the food exceptional and not too expensive (we did not order the kangaroo). I have little to compare it to as the last time I visited an Indian restaurant it was the Shad in William Street back in the 1990's and the meal was a strange colour and glowed in the dark. My friends however were more experienced and said that it was better than their favourite Indian restaurant in Australia, they were particularly impressed by the presentation of the food.

The evening threatened to be spoiled for us by a particularly noisy group of people who arrived just after us who for some reason thought it necessary to shout at each other. They were so loud we could no longer hold a conversation across the table unless we increased our volume to match theirs. We politely complained to the staff and they dealt with the situation as diplomatically as they could and the volume eventually went down a notch or two.

After the meal we were treated to the expanding napkin trick which was very amusing as we thought they were some kind of Indian after dinner marshmallows and tried to eat them (In our defence we had consumed a few beverages by then!) When we were paying our bill we were sat down in the stylish seating area near the bar and offer a free drink.

We got the impression that the staff were trying exceptionally hard to please so I was surprised to see that this establishment was ranked so low on here. Perhaps there have been issues in the past and they are trying hard to rectify them? Whilst I can't compare it with other Indian Restaurants in the town I can compare it with other higher ranked places to eat and it certainly ranks higher than them. When my friends were over last year I recommended the Ship and we were all extremely disappointed with the meal we had in there. If I were to rank the Maharaja it would be in the top 5 at least.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Wow! What a treat. This was our first visit. The smell of the food as it arrived promised an excellent meal and it was.

The adults in our group have a good knowledge of Indian cuisine and would not give such praise easily!

It took an appropriate amount of time for an excellent meal to be served and our order was 100% accurate even though we had asked for some variation to the given menu.

My daughter, who does not usually like Indian food, loved it and wants to go back again with us. The waiters were attentive, friendly and very professional. They treated us superbly and were very kind to our daughter.

The restaurant is very clean and the toilets were immaculate. They have gained awards and truly deserve them. They were even happy to let our daughter use the toilet a lot later that evening when they were closing.

A sincere 'thank you' to all your staff for such a wonderful meal and welcome. We will be back and will highly recommend you to everyone we know!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Excellent food. Fantastic service. Modern Indian food focusing on quality and taste rather than volume. Not your standard Indian food in Herne Bay; far better than standard!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My brother and his girlfriend travelled to Herne Bay for a family weekend get together from the Midlands so I decided to try out this fairly new Indian restaurant out on his first night. The ambiance was lovely when we first arrived and we were seated at a very comfy table. Service was quick, the drinks were lovely! the meal came in reasonable time…not too quick and not too slow! the food was delicious, one of the best Indians we have ever had, The presentations of the food was first class we were all pleasantly surprised. Would we come back..with more guest visiting Herne Bay…..? DEFINATLY!!! we had a lovely evening….one of the best curries in Herne Bay.

1  Thank Michelle W
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The decor and Pavilion location are a couple of notches above the average Bangladeshi/Indian restaurant. The staff were considerate when speaking with us but although we were the only table in the restaurant it took longer ethan necessary to serve us.
It was on Saturday around 5 pm which is very early but we had checked and were told they were open all day.

The food was generally good except for an underdone chicken tikka kebab. I don't think pink chicken is safe to eat so I left those portions. Non of the dishes were served on warming trays and the food presentation was rather basic.
Overall it was ok but could learn a lot from our local indian restaurant which shows what excellent service, great food and attention to detail can achieve: Formerly Simply Spice in Strood, Kent - now Naz's Rasoi.