“Amazing food!”

Ranked #10 of 142 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are extremely excited to offer authentic slow-cooked smoked meats, done properly in our in-house smoker, guaranteed to arrive fresh on your table. As well as great steaks, burgers and sandwiches. The freshest Lobsters and Seafood are also on the menu alongside Mac'n'Cheese to die for. We aim to cater for all, providing amazing value for money party menus and even a kiddie menu. We offer an extensive wine list and a fine selection of alcoholic drinks including plenty of cocktails, draft beer, and bottomless fizzy drinks.
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were staying in the area recently for my birthday and booked in advance here after reading the reviews on tripadvisor.
The service is excellent with the friendly chef coming out to explain the dishes to us and bringing out samples inbetween courses.
We started with a free amuse bouche that the chef brought out of pickled herring with potato salad, so tasty and fresh tasting. He then brought out 2 small loaves of homemade bread and homemade butter, the bread was still hot and so crispy, really good!
Our starters of scallops for me and pigeon breast with lamb bacon for my girlfriend were delicious, the lamb bacon was lovely.
A free sorbet pallette cleanser was then brought out, so tangy and well made.
For mains i had lamb noisettes with bulgar wheat, butternut squash puree and vegetables, my girlfriend had herb crusted pork tenderloin with pasta rice, vegetables and gravy. They were both delicious and my girlfriend said it was the best gravy she had ever had and the pork was so tender. My lamb was gorgeous! Cooked to perfection.
The desserts were heavenly, i had chocolate mousse which was so silky smooth which came with fresh berries. My girlfriend had deconstructed carrot cake which she absoloutely loved.
The prices are a little on the high side but you do get what you pay for with the amuse bouche and samples.
Do not be put off from the outside because this restaurant does not disappoint.
We will definitely return if we are in the area

1  Thank james h

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife Sue and I went with Penny, our old friend who'd recommended it to us. The staff were unfailingly charming and helpful and the food was just excellent with little treats between the courses which made us feel valued. The atmosphere was good and there was a gentle buzz of satisfied diners all evening. We'd had doubts initially, based on some of the reviews that we'd read here but I have to say we were very happy with the food and the prices we paid. Recommended!

1  Thank Neil B
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Second time of eating in this restaurant, the food is just amazing! Us people of Herne Bay are so lucky to have the Oyster and Chop House on our doorstep. Expect to pay approx £35 pp for 3 courses and wine, well worth every penny!

2  Thank mandyt503907
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We went to this wonderful restaurant for my Birthday last year. I cannot believe what amazing food is available in the heart of Herne Bay. This place is a refreshing change to the usual average food available in the Bay. The service is personal and excellent. But the food is exceptional. I tried oysters for the first time as a complimentary amuse bouche, and I would definitely try them again. Especially if prepared by this chef. All the food is locally sourced from within a 20 mile radius, and is prepared expertly. I cannot recomend this wonderful little find enough. If ever you're anywhere bear herne bay, please make the effort to go, you won't regret it.

4  Thank Simon M
Reviewed April 19, 2013

4.5 if I had the option. Nothing bad to say at all. I always love a chef that comes to your table and he did several times with a complimentary pre starter and sorbet as a palate cleanser. You can tell he's very passionate about food but I do wonder why he chose Herne Bay over Whitstable or Canterbury where I feel he would receive more recognition?

Food was lovely and the mains were very large - the person who said youll leave hungry is a moron. When we went he was still working on a full wine list which he showed me after - a good enough reason to come back in itself! Good service and pleasant atmosphere. Expensive for Herne Bay but not expensive for the food you're served. I think most mains were around £15 and I probably would of paid £20.

Dont hesitate to go!