“Best milkshakes”

Ranked #64 of 142 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Established at this very location in 1931 this business has become a landmark in Herne Bay. Still today making the ice cream on the premises using the same 1931 recipe out ice cream has earned national recognition! Serving of our fine roasted coffee and fine teas with a lengthy menu spanning breakfast, lunch and dinner this is the location of choice for hundreds of visitors each week.We take great pride in the quality of our food a majority of which is home made and in particular our great fish and chips which was only set up 3 years previous. We cater for customers looking to eat in or our and following our recent refurbishment you will always feel comfortable where ever you choose to enjoy your food or beverage.We look forward to welcoming you and your dog (yes we are allowed dogs inside).
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Me and my family come here very often as the do best milkshakes in town you can choose from a lot of different flavours

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We had visited this restaurant once before and were looking forward to a return visit. It is an immaculately clean restaurant with a fantastic choice of meals but unfortunately the service today ( with the exception of the wonderful manager) was dire. I have a fussy daughter who will not eat seeds on a burger bun and I was told they could serve it on a different type of bun so we placed our order. It seemed rather expensive and on asking for the receipt, I explained to one of the girls that the prices did not match those advertised on the menu. She said that the prices had increased to which I replied that it was misleading and those prices should be covered up. The manager was then called who immediately refunded the difference (we had been overcharged on the drinks too) and he was extremely pleasant in doing so. When our food arrived, the bun had seeds so I explained what had been discussed and she took it to be changed. She then came back and said they only came with seeds, trying to serve us the food. I asked her to change it for a sausage and when she returned, slammed it on the table without any sort of apology. It was downright rude. If they couldn't supply what we ordered I would have simply ordered an alternative in the first place. Food was very nice however although not the best cod I've had. Chips were perfect though. Sorry, won't be returning - customer service is very important and they let the management down.

1  Thank victoria s
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have visited Herne Bay several times over a number of years. The least you should expect from a visit to the seaside is to be able to eat fresh and preferably local fish and chips. We have eaten at Makcari's a few times in the past and it used to be quite good in terms of quality. What a disappointment this time. Prices not particularly cheap - £31 for two cod and chips and one calamari and chips, one bottle of water and two teas - but fine if the quality is good. Unfortunately the Calamari was inedible - large chip like pieces of aged octopus which could have been carved from a truck tyre in terms of toughness, with a burnt batter coating. Utterly inedible. The two cod (if they were cod) were dry and tough. They certainly must have traveled a very long and deep frozen journey to Herne Bay. We appreciate that it may not be possible to source locally in every case, but surely you can source quality. A real disappointment and can not recommend anyone with any experience of what good fish and chips taste like to spend their hard earned money here.

Nejmi, Owner at Makcari's Coffee Lounge & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a review. Negative reviews can be more helpful than positive reviews. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your food on your last visit and only wish that you had drawn this to our attention at the time when we would have had a fresh set of food cooked for you. As a customer that has used us before you will be aware that we only use the best ingredient which are local where possible including the fish. Clearly something went wrong on your last visit however I can assure you we only use the best quality ingredients and I accept that our prices do reflect this. We have only had positive comments for our fish and chips. Perhaps if you do use us again you can make yourself known to me and I will ensure you receive the best Makcaris experience.

Our business has thrived over the past few years based on the quality of our food and our efforts to ensure great customer service. Please raise all problems with us directly and we will ensure you leave more than satisfied.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Ate lunch here, one cod and chips, one haddock and chips, both with mushy peas and tartare sauce, one small lager and one glass wine = £21, but large portions well cooked, and nice to have alcoholic drinks as well.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

When my partner and I visited this place for a much deserved ice cream sundae earlier this year we ordered a "North Pole" which was advertised as consisting of wafers, hand made italian ice cream and and a fruit sauce. Sounds delicious doen't it?

We were served with a wafer onto which regular soft, "machine dispensed" ice cream was squirted and another wafer on the top. The whole thing was then sparingly covered with an unpleasant fruit flavour sauce.

Now bear in mind that this was specifically advertised as being made from hand made Italian ice cream and that the price was over £6 per sundae!

When I complained I was basically shown the door and made fun of in front of the other customers.

I will never go near this place again. Be warned.

1  Thank Neilus2013

Hi, I am not sure exactly how to respond to this review. I have asked my staff and none of them are aware of the situation. All I can say is that all our ice cream is hand made even the whipped white ice cream that you refer to using products from Italy. If your complaint is that the ice cream is not hand made then you are incorrect, if you did not like the desert then for this I apologise.