“Perfectly ok.”

The King Ethelbert Inn
Ranked #14 of 139 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Country setting / beach side / country setting / beach side...We have it all.Traditional country pub in the midst of the Reculver Country park and yet within a stones throw of the sea - perfect.We are a child friendly, dog friendly and customer friendly pub aiming to provide each and every one of our customers an enjoyable visit. Whether the sun is shining and you choose to sit out on the decked area over looking the childrens play area and country park, or if the snow is settling and you choose to enjoy a hot mulled wine in front of the large log burner - we really do have something for everyone.Classic homecooked meals the likes of stew, lasagne or lambs liver & bacon can be enjoyed at reasonable costs starting from just £5.95. Not to mention our Sunday roasts - again just £5.95. But be sure to book as we are always busy.Choice of lagers, wines, spirits and soft drinks with regularly changing cask ales. We are a free trade and so the choices of ales and lagers are unrivalled.I could spend all day telling you about us but why not come along and see for yourself - a warm welcome awaits all.*child friendly*dog friendly*wheelchair access and disabled toilet*good quality home cooked food*childrens play area*log fires*sun terrace*smoking shelter with heaters and lights*parking.
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

A decent pub with reasonable food in a good location. Service was friendly enough and the menu was good value at the price.

MWing2014, Owner at The King Ethelbert Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, and thank you for taking the time to let others know. Your support means the world to us.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This establishment is now owned by a person with no personality, no manners, and who does not seem to be bothered about having customers. I feel sorry the staff who are very pleasant and helpful. We were in a party of 9 people, and were told by the miserable owner that if we ordered, and paid for our meals separately we would not get our meals at the same time, which did happen. The food was nothing exceptional, but acceptable (possibly because of the non involvement of the the owner who just sat at the bar SMOKING !!!)

4  Thank Peter P

Firstly I would like to mention that the pub has actually been in the same hands for almost 10 years, and that contrary to your beliefs I can confirm that we are VERY bothered about having customers. My understanding is that you ordered separately and were informed that tickets will be prepared in the order they are received and therefore if others order in between your group then your food will not be served together. During our busy periods we can quite easily be preparing meals for twenty or so tickets simultaneously .
Secondly we maintain that the premises are strictly no smoking as I am sure you are aware the law specifies. The gentleman at the bar was in fact my father in law smoking an electric cigarette, and whilst I must confess he may not be the most cheerful of people! (please don't tell him I said that), we greatly appreciate his help when we get busy and if he had not served you on that day then no doubt you would have been waiting longer which would have been classed as unacceptable.
We do try to keep all our customers informed and happy but alas we are not perfect and if your experience with us was not a good one then I can only apologise and hope you give us another opportunity to put things right.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We visited this pub after a long walk along the coastal path. The location is lovely and sitting outside in the sun was most agreeable - despite the wasps!

We also had an evening meal which was good value for money with a wide variety of dishes to choose from. No complaints.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Visited this pub today and all I can say is that the friendly staff mentioned in other reviews on here must have been on holiday !! There were two grumpy looking gentlemen serving behind the bar who couldn't have cared less whether we were there on not, in fact we were totally ignored for quite some time whilst waiting to order. The food was just about average, I ordered a steak pudding which was obviously microwaved, this pub is fairly local to me but I would not visit again.

1  Thank shelagh t

I am sorry you were not happy with your visit.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The bracing air, soon makes for an appetite, well your at the right place. Good food good beer ( the wife can drive home).... well behaved kids welcomed, outdoor seats, and tables, the right place for summer or brisk winter walk