“Great Sunday Lunch”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2012

One disabled, and a child were part of our group for traditional Sunday lunch. It's a great family pub. Very friendly staff. Fresh vegetables, choice of 3 meats or a fish dish or a huge steak & kidney pudding were on the board today. Fresh fruit, lemon meringue pie, chocolate fudge cake, a crumble or ice cream was the choice for desserts - I hand the lemon meringue and it was delicious.
This is not a modern restaurant or a chain, just great fairly priced fresh food. Very British!

1  Thank DDBKent
There are newer reviews for The Heron

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I visited this tucked away public house/restaurant following a recommendation from a friend.

Our party of 3 arrived without booking on the off chance for Sunday lunch around 2.30pm. Parking was plentiful. The restaurant seats around 36, it is nicely decorated and clean. It was fairly busy when we arrived but maintained a quiet and friendly atmosphere, great for small groups.

I was informed by the very pleasant bar staff that they served food until 4pm and a table would be available in 15 mins.

We were seated within 5mins and the drinks order taken and delivered very promptly. Food orders were taken and delivered very quickly.

The food was excellent, we had the Roast Beef and all the trimmings which included fresh locally sourced and seasonal vegetables. The roast potatoes were delicious as was the rest of the main. For desserts we sampled the Lemon meringue pie and the Apple Crumble, again we were not disappointed, in fact the Lemon meringue pie was far superior to my own which I am told is pretty good. The food servings were generous with six different vegetables served including the potatoes.

The customer service was without fault. Overall we had a really great meal in pleasant surroundings with excellent service and fantastic value for money.

I would point out that I am not the easiest person to please but I could not find fault with this restaurant.

I can't wait to eat here again and would definately recommend it to others. On the advice of the very friendly staff I would recommend booking a table to avoid disappointment.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

After being away from home (England) for 24 years I had only a faint "rose tinted glasses" memory upon which I built my expectations. Happily some of those expectations were realized on day one of my return. The Heron staff and patrons provided a comfortable return for this ex-pat and during my month long stay my favourite place to rediscover my Englishness was in their company. Local ale and meals that fit the budget but extended the waistline were a feature too (I have now been spoiled for all other roasts - thanks Kim).

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Great value for money and a good family atmosphere. The menu is well thought out, but for me the mixed grill is awesome.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Very surprised at how far the heron has come to being a very well run business with polite and friendly staff good choice of drinks and excellent food.
You have a day to day lunch and bar menu and a specials board which is constantly changing so you have a good variety to choose from. When our food got brought out to us the plates were warm which you don't get very often but is the proper way to serve a meal.The meal itself was excellent and I just about had enough room for a warm dessert.
The Heron was brilliantly located for us being situated so near the train station.
I would recommend The Heron to people of all ages.

1  Thank vanessa C