“A step back in time”

Gandhi Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 141 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Long-established restaurant, no reviews so far though.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

If you like your Indian restaurants old school then this is for you, me and wifey had not set foot in this restaurant for over 20 years and we were delighted when we found it to be just as brilliant now as it was back in the day...........enjoy

Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Not happy when we went here. The food was very pricey and over spiced! Not a pleasant atmosphere

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Dont be distracted by the location and shopfront. This curry house is he real deal. Every single dish is authentic from Chicken Korma to Vindaloo. Service is sooo good as well.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Absolutely supurb. Highest standard of food and very good service by very attentive staff. Without doubt one of the best curries we have had in a long while. We eat a lot of curries and thoroughly recommend this restuarant.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I actually copied most of this review from one I wrote for Qype a while back, but I certainly feel it still applies.

The Gandhi Tandoori is by far the best curry house in Herne Bay. Really I also consider it to be the best in the area, including Whitstable, Canterbury and Faversham.

The staff are very friendly and welcoming, and the restaurant has a smart appearance without trying to be too trendy and modern.

The food here is great. After the obligatory Cobra and popadom stack I usually opt for the mixed kebab starter - here it includes chicken and lamb tikka pieces and 2 onion bhaji. I have tried other starters too and they have all been a tasty treat! Before the starter arrives, you are normally presented with some aubergine fritters with a plum sauce as a complimentary snack! If you are really lucky sometimes you get dall puri instead - a puffy, spicy lentil bread for special occassions.

Main courses are really good - from the industry standard madras dishes to the chef's specials. I really favour the balti dishes at the moment, a really smoky flavour - ideal with a keema nan. For those who are as indecisive as me, then I recommend the Bangladeshi Chat Pati - it contains lamb and chicken and chick peas and potato - a real all rounder!

They have recently added some new dishes, I particularly like the Naga Chicken and the Kebab roll starter!!!

I have always been well looked after in here, and they always seem to offer a complimentary drink at the end of the meal - Jameson's for me every time, although they do a very good Irish coffee. Prices are very reasonable, they do add a 10% service charge to the overall bill, but I certainly feel this is fair as the service is exceptional.

I really like the feel of the restaurant, it is not brightly lit but does not seem too dim either. There are some traditional handicrafts on the wall and Indian/Bangladeshi music on the stereo!

If you do like to order a takeaway, then collection times always seem to be 15-20 mins and you may get a popadom or beer while you wait, they offer delivery too - which is an equally snappy service.

I do like Kashmir Tandoori in Canterbury, Spice Lounge in Faversham, and one or two curry houses in Whitstable..however I LOVE the Gandhi Tandoori and would recommend it to anybody.