“It does exactly what it says on the tin”

The Saxon Shore - J D Wetherspoon
Ranked #94 of 140 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is a weather spoons and it does exactly what weather spoons do well - well priced industrial cooking - my son - uni student and his mates use it for curry night, steak night etc, - I joined them for a curry recently, the place was full of equally minded young people, the service was quietly efficient, the food was well cooked and there was enough bulk to satisfy hungry young people, the drinks were cheap I paid for the five of us - starters, mains, two rounds of drinks - lagers and wine and i think i got change from fifty quid - which i thought was great value - don't go with expectations of fine dining but for students and young families on budgets it was bob on.

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

I have visited this particular wetherspoons many times and each time I haven't been disappointed, the menu is extremely good value and with the majority of meals either part of a deal or you get a free drink, where can you complain?
The staff are always welcoming, sometimes yes they do seem a bit understaffed but I still appreciate the service I get.
The food is nice for the price you pay. And I think that's what a lot of people need to take into consideration when writing their reviews!! This is never going to be top restaurant quality but the food is delicious for what you pay for. £9 for an 8oz rump steak, chips, peas tomato and mushroom with a free drink and not a bit of fat or gristle was found on the steak, they even boxed up my leftovers for my dog for me.
I have seen a few customers be very rude to staff during busy times and the staff always seem to handle it in a professional manner, which I tip my hat to.
Overall very satisfied and I will continue to revisit

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have been here several times - in the daytime for tea/coffee with friends/our children, lunch with friends/children and also meal/drinks in the evening with friends. It is absolutely fine here as you don't expect luxury from a Wetherspoons - it is basic food at a cheap price and people going here should just be happy with that really. If you want fancy dining or have high standards or expoectations - don't go here - simple as that! It seems pointless to write a negative review because surely people should know by now what to expect from a Wetherspoons?? Yes, it is a bit dark in here and maybe could do with a revamp slightly but it is not run down or filthy. Stop being so pompous and just enjoy it for what it is - cheap as chips! :)

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went in because it was convenient, just across the road in fact. Sunday roast was £7.09 including a £2 drink. The warning bells should have sounded then but hey, it's Wetherspoons and they must have a rigorous quality control system.

We got everything to be expected from a £5.09 Sunday roast. I don't blame the company. I blame myself for being gullible. A poor meal can never be good value for money, no matter how cheap.

It was my first visit to a non-airport Wetherspoons for years. I was amazed how far downmarket the company has gone. If this place meets their corporate standards, as it must I guess, then the company must have a very low target for their position in the marketplace. Beneath a 'greasy spoon caff'' and above a burger van I reckon.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

It's not too bad in the summer although the tables aren't cleared of food debris often enough but in the winter it's horrible. The few radiators aren't adequate to heat a pub of this size and only the top of the radiators get hot. Went in the other night for bite to eat and from the outside it looks warm and cosy because of the low lighting...don't be fooled. It was freezing inside. Ate with my coat on and couldn't wait to leave. I felt no colder outside than I had inside the pub! It's a shame because the food is good value and some of the meals are really tasty but sorry Wetherspoons, I can't relax or enjoy eating and drinking in an environment which is so cold I have to keep my coat on!