“Clean Hotel, unforgivable WiFi charges” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Premier Inn Herne Bay Hotel

Premier Inn Herne Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Herne Bay
West Row
“Clean Hotel, unforgivable WiFi charges”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I don't normally stay at branded hotels like Premier Inn, Travel Lodge etc, the concept of a prepackaged, one size fits all, product is unappealing, but on this occasion a customer was staying there so I joined him.

My expectations were not high, but the hotel was clean and the service from the staff was excellent, bar a small hicough in the restaurant, due to a new in-mate having just started. The food was just average and resembled the photo in the menu, even down to the individual placement of the peas on the plate and thats my point really, the "brand" is not what I look for in a gastronomic experience.

However, that asside the biggest faux pas as far as I'm concerned is the lack of free wifi, totally unforgivable in this day and age, this is 2012 not 1995! I doubt I'll ever stay in a Premier Inn again, not through choice anyway.

It's just not my cuppa, very clean and tidy with friendly staff, just souless and sterile to the point of insanity.

Room Tip: Try a different independant hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Whitbread-77, Steven Hicks, Social Media at Premier Inn Herne Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn we always try to give our customers a comfortable and friendly stay, and I apologise if you have felt let down by our brand, and by the lack perhaps of a few homely details. We really value your feedback, as it allows us to improve our standards and make our hotel experience more enjoyable. I will be sure to pass your comments on Wifi to our marketing department.

Thank you once again for your review; we hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Very surprised at the reviews just read as couldn't complain about anything at all. Lovely welcome at reception. Room a bit warm at first but the air con cooled it quickly. Had no expectations about the Table Table restaurant but it was really good. Fantastic service, great with the kids, so friendly. Couldn't fault it at all. Would highly recommend. We did it as stop off from driving from south of france before driving back to Scotland. Will return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elspeth F
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We arrived at our destination a day early, so booked into the Premier Inn Canterbury North/Herne Bay and was so impressed, we would have liked to have stayed longer, however we had already booked other accommodation. The bed was very comfortable, bathroom clean and even had added extras like shower gel and hand wash. We were made to feel very welcome right from the get-go. Even when we pointed out that there was only one towel in the bathroom despite a booking for two, this was immediately remedied, as was the temperature of the room, which was set to 'cool' (yes it was meant to be summer, however, I don't think the weather man knew this) - and this was turned off and we were able to change the temperature to 'warm'.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bedfordshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We decided on a weekend away and we like the impersonal nature of the average Premier Inn so it did get a bit waring when the member of staff on duty said something every time we walked through the lobby. It sounds harsh but we like to check in and be largely ignored until we check out unless we need to ask about something. I'm not letting this affect the mark I give, it's just an observation, none of the desk staff was anything less than pleasant and upbeat.
This is a nice hotel and my only real complaint is that the breakfast area (in the pub opposite) wasn't opened until 7:20 (instead of 7:00) on our second day there (the first day it was open at 7 but we had to wait five minutes before someone was available to greet us at the "please wait here to be seated" sign). The outside door was firmly locked with no explanation and, although it was June, it was chilly.
This hotel is very near a very main road but we weren't disturbed at all despite having the window open.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed here with my partner and our young child. The room was large enough for all the paraphernalia we cart around with us and space for a small child to run around in relative safety (some of the electrical sockets are within a child's reach).
We had ordered a cot and this was set up when we arrived. We had taken our own travel cot in case the Premier Inn's was not what we expected, but we didn't need to use it as their cot was fine.
It's a Premier Inn so you know roughly what you're getting - a decent bed, bathroom and towels. It's not very exciting, but it's what you need.
The bed was comfy, but could have done with firmer pillows. (There is a choice of pillows - firm or soft, but I found even the firm pillows were too soft for me).
The room had a TV with Freeview channels and there's free Wi-fi for 30 minutes per day. You don't need to use all 30 minutes all at once. Plenty of hot water in the bathroom and free shower gel and handwash.
Staff were fine - not too intrusive and there when we needed them. The first member of staff we saw recommended booking a table at the Table Table restaurant next door as it got very busy and they booked this for us. The restaurant was okay - nothing fantastic but what you expect from a restaurant attached to a motel.
I only have 2 complaints. The first is that the temperature controls only go down to 19C - which is too hot for our young daughter to sleep in. It was a very hot weekend and it was too hot for all of us. The window does open but as it was hot outside, it didn't have much of an effect and you can hear the traffic on the road outside. (With the window closed there was very little traffic noise and I'm a light sleeper).
My other complaint is that our room wasn't cleaned. I think this was due to timing - we went out in the morning for 2 hours and returned for our daughter's nap over lunchtime, before leaving for a wedding at about 1.45pm. Housekeeping slipped a note under our door to say it was company policy not to disturb guests who hung the do not disturb sign and as a result, our room had not been cleaned. I understand that staff cannot wait around for guests to leave their rooms, but given that I imagine a lot of people sleep late on a weekend and leave their rooms in the afternoon, a rethink of the timing of their cleaning may be useful. I was not happy to come back to my room at 10.30pm to find the bins containing dirty nappies had not been emptied.
Overall, it was fine and my rating would be 3.5 - I didn't think it was quite good enough for a 4, but it's more deserving than a 3.

Room Tip: Bring socket covers with you if you're concerned about tiny fingers exploring.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, Social Media at Premier Inn Herne Bay Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a quiet stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

First the good - its close to Wildwood and my niece said that was fantastic. Second the bad, and if you don't want to read a lot of ranting suggest you read no further lol.

I am very disappointed I have written to Premier Inn to complain and have had no response. I expect complaints to be dealt with expeditiously and I have now been waiting approximately 5 days - in my opinion thats not good enough!

I booked a weekend away for my niece and her partner and their one year old baby as a joint birthday gift. On the basis that I have always had good experiences at Premier Inns and guessed they would too, they were my obvious first choice. The hotel itself was as expected the customer service unfortunately is a different kettle of fish.

Being a young family with limited finances another family member gave them sufficient money to purchase the meal deal at the hotel. When they went for dinner they were NOT asked for their voucher and having never stayed at a Premier Inn never surrendered it when they arrived in the restaurant. They were given the full menu with no explanation about the meal deal and they naturally ordered from that full menu.

When they had finished they surrendered their voucher and were told that as some of their dishes were not included in the meal deal they would have to pay extra. They explained that no-one had asked them for the voucher and they didn't realise and assumed they would present it at the end of the meal.

They should should have been properly informed by the staff before making their meal choices and even just as a gesture of goodwill they should have not been required to pay the extra which had been incurred as a result of the omittance by the Premier Inn staff - and the most annoying this is that they got the distinct impression that if they had been older they would not have been treated so shoddily.

I am absolutely disgusted as it put a blight on what should have been a very pleasant enjoyable gift for them. I personally would not have paid the extra and would have kicked up one hell of a stink with a lot of loud female talking (and you ladies know exactly what I mean), but my niece is obviously a much more pleasant person that me. Needless to say I am now investigating the standards of Best Western, Holiday Inn, Hilton, in fact any other hotel chain for my and my family little but frequent trips around the UK.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank DD88England
, Social Media at Premier Inn Herne Bay Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

good staff but terrible noise problems at this hotel due to bad sound insulation in the rooms and creaking floor boards .did not get much sleep until 1 am both nights.

restaurant and breakfast were the good points.

would not stay here again though.

Room Tip: do not stay near family rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 12 in Margate
Hotel Continental
Hotel Continental
#4 of 4 in Whitstable

Been to Premier Inn Herne Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!