“Lovely country pub well worth a visit”
Review of George & Dragon

George & Dragon
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Headcorn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I visited the pub midweek with ten of my family including young children for a carvery meal, very good value for money, good menu with a choice of three perfectly cooked meats & all the trimmings. The sweet menu covered all tastes including triple chocolate sponge, hot fruit crumbles all served with a choice of ice cream, custard or fresh cream. Excellent service & happy staff all of which made for an enjoyable evening. Definitely make a return visit.

2  Thank giantgeezer

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I've previously been here twice before when I've had business in Kent, but during lunch times of which both the food and service was more than satisfactory. So when an associate and I needed somewhere to eat (this time for dinner), the George and Dragon popped into my head. When we arrived the pub/restaurant had a slightly different ambience since the last time, probably owing to the fact that it was evening, candles and soft lighting set the atmosphere and some un-intrusive jazz played in the background. The staff, (a barman and two waitresses) were friendly and engaging without being too over the top. I'd had a steak and ale suet the last time I was here but unfortunately it wasn't on the menu this time. So instead I opted for the Steak and Stilton, which was brave for me because I don't normally go for things I'm not sure about, my associate had the autumn chicken.
I have to say I wasn't sure how I'd feel about stilton in what I'd ordered but it was actually quite brilliant, it was although quite strong not overpowering and well worth taking the risk. My associate's autumn chicken was gargantuan, both in size and in taste, I don't think both he or I expected such a portion. Normally in such a case the quality of taste suffers as the size increases but I was assured by my associate that (the most that he could manage) along with the mustard and bourbon sauce was of extremely good quality for the price.
The establishment was busy but as previously said held a nice atmosphere, in future instead of popping in as an off hand thought, I will make a point of returning when I am in the area either for business or personally.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were a party of 5 for dinner on Saturday night and had a wonderful meal and evening. The pub is lovely and relaxed, the service staff were friendly and regularly asked if we needed more drinks or anything and the food was wonderful (lamb shanks or seafood bake a highlight). Try the local beers and Biddenden cider. All good.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We only visit Headcorn occasionally, and have been to the George and Dragon for lunch on a couple of previous occasions, last time a year or so ago when we were impressed enough to come back again. Unfortunately this time we felt that the quality and value for money was not what it had been. The last time we visited was also on a Saturday, and the pub was extremely busy, this time there were relatively few customers. Service was a bit hit and miss, and it was hard to make ourselves understood. The kitchen asked if I really wanted peas with my ploughmans, but it seems as if being polite and saying please after my order, was written down as peas! Nine pounds for a ploughmans is fine if everything is really good, but we all could have done without the portions of industrial coleslaw served with each order, and it seems a pity that carrots and cabbages should be harvested in vain in order to be returned to compost without ever having been ingested. The pickle was however homemade and good, as was the ham. A cheese and bacon toasty included the end of the loaf, was soggy and the bacon was chewy and undercooked with a fatty rind. Overall just an average pub meal, and not anything to write home about.

1  Thank Garrie1
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Went for meal this evening on a friends recommendations, had a delicious Stilton and pear quiche, lovely pub which had a lovely atmosphere, very busy, friendly staff! Well worth a visit, we will definitely be going ah again!