“Trying to Keep up”
Review of Hempstead Valley

Hempstead Valley
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Gillingham
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Older shopping malls have a challenge. This said individual shops here are modernising, and this includes Poundland from January 1st. The food court is busy with the usual fast food outlets, but McDonalds, who were outside left years ago. There is a Sainsburys with 44 checkouts, and the upstairs café and lifts to it look totally retro - unchanged since the mall opened in 1978? . Food OK though, or M&S have a crowded first floor Cafe Revive. A choice of 46 popular retailers including Bhs and Argos. There is no help desk as such but floor plans are available, also a leaflet encouraging car dealers, florists and others to pitch in the aisles. Experian Mosaic customers attracted are Happy families, Suburban comfort and Ties of Community, whatever that means. There are 2,000 car park spaces and several buses terminate here, even a coach calls. The nearest station is Rainham.

1  Thank Martin T
There are newer reviews for Hempstead Valley

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I Recently had a bad experience in the food court at Hempstead valley, I sat at the table to eat my KFC, when I noticed that the table and chairs were not clean it made me feel sick with the thought of others eating here with the risk of food poisoning, so I spoke to the girl working in the food court about it, she said it was the night cleaners who cleaned the tables and chairs and that she would report it to the centre manager
I'm not going to be eating there again, I will be going to Blue Water for now on.

5  Thank Paul m
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am not the keenest shopper but Hempstead Valley is not too large but quite a nice place to visit whether it is a window shop or regular shopping although, when the walkways are not filled by small independant vendors, the place is rather dated.
There are a number of 'big' shops i.e BHS, Sainsburys, Argos, Marks & Spencer and WH Smith amongst many others and it has a reasonable food hall with a few other fast food outlets dotted around.
It has a regular bus timetable from Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and for drivers it has good access from the M2 and plenty of parking.

1  Thank RichardD1960
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have been visiting and shopping at Hempstead valley since it first opened,we still love the vibrant happy feeling that reigns supreme,even window shopping is a day out! The selection of shops and eateries is great! We love the food department in Marks and spencer if we fancy a treat and for the weekly grocery shop you can't beat Sainsburys which has a huge selection from " cheap and cheerful" right through to gourmet selections,it sounds a bit sad but I LOVE my visits there.I can also indulge my love of fashion both for me and my home.there are lovely jewellers and even a good sized Boots the Chemists for your health needs. This sounds a bit like an advert but I genuinely love this place especially at Christmas!!

3  Thank ChristineHubbard
Reviewed August 26, 2013

It is fine for a quick shop, or a wander. But really needs enlarging and improving, its falling behind the times ... handy for locals but I would not travel to visit. not with a very large shopping mall nearby. needs to double in size at least, and offer a better shopping experience.

1  Thank DustyDee10