“Not overly impressed”

The King Charles Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Well, we had our wedding reception with the King Charles! And stayed in one of the better rooms. Here's what we thought:

1) the food they provided us with was actually terrible. It cost a lot of money and tasted like Iceland frozen food. I didn't expect this and was very disappointed. I tried not to let this ruin my big day however I wanted to warn people of this! It's very bad.
2) my guests who stayed at the hotel had negative things to say about their rooms, for example the thick dust.
3) the mattress in my room was rock hard! Not what you expect when you pay that sort of money.
4) the next morning, my mum was 1 minute late for breakfast and they wouldn't allow her to have any! Fair enough there's a cut off point but we all just thought that took the biscuit.
5) when paying £150 for a room. Wifi should be complementary!!!!
6) the hotel needs a big re-vamp. It just looks shabby and smells it too.

The staff seem quite nice, and there were good points about the hotel but I can only think negatively as the food really really let us down. I would expect compensation for having a poor service like that from any other hotel. However I can see from the replies on here that will never happen.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank B989
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for your recent review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the food at your wedding, although I find it very strange that you have not contacted us to discuss any these points. I have looked at your function details and it seems that you only had the basic buffet package from us with free hall hire, and not a full day reception with a fully catered meal. The buffet you chose consists of items such as sausage rolls, chicken fillet bites and sausages and only costs £6.25. For this price we could not afford to make all of the items ourselves and so they are bought in frozen, although it is not from Iceland! I do not think there is anything wrong with this practice, and the fact that they are bought in is reflected in the price.

Your mother was ten minutes late for breakfast and unfortunately the kitchen had been closed. She was offered tea/coffee, juice, cereal and toast, but I believe that she refused this offer.

I am glad that you have commented that our staff are nice as that is important to us, and you also said that we have good points as well, although it is a shame that you have not listed them.

We do offer free Wi Fi in all of our public areas, but it is chargeable in the rooms.

It is a shame that none of these points were bought to our attention either on the night of your wedding, or the following day, and that this is the first time we have heard them. You state that you would of expected compensation, but how can that happen if you have not contacted us?

There are newer reviews for The King Charles Hotel

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My recent visit was the 2nd time I have stayed at this hotel. It has never changed in 33 years. It is not a clean environment. My bed had only three legs. The service was appalling and the noise from the on going wedding was not conducive to a good night sleep. I may have been better sleeping in the back of the car. I have read responses by the owners to other reviews. This place gas never had a refurbishment since the building was a NAAFI.

Room Tip: Look at other hotels in the area.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

I am very sorry that you were not happy with stay, but I do think it is unfair for you to say that the hotel has not had a refurbishment in 33 years. When the current family owners first purchased the property it was a rundown building which could barely be called a hotel. Since that time a lot of time, money and personal effort has been spent on the hotel to bring it up to a busy three star establishment. We hold many naval reunions in the hotel, and guests who were actually stationed in Gillingham, and frequented the NAFFI, have all said that they would not recognize the building. I am not sure what facts you are basing your review on, but I would like to know how you have come to this conclusion.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Only booked week before Bank Hols and nothing else could come close on price. OK the room isn't the most modern we've stayed in but so what! The fantastic friendly staff are the best we've come across for a long time. Suppose being a family run hotel perhaps what makes it different from your average chain budget hotel. Ate in hotel restaurant Sat night. Lovely food, brilliant staff and food and wine reasonably priced. Defo recommend and will return.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your review.
We always try to offer value for money, especially in the current economic climate, and it is always nice when that is appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I thought we had the hotel mixed up and was in shock when we arrived couldn't wait to leave! The worst sleep the whole trip next to the holiday inn express at Heathrow! Sorry really this is just not our cup of tea at all!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I am very sorry that you were not happy with your stay.
We are a family run three star hotel and your comments indicate that you was looking for a higher class of hotel. Perhaps if you had mentioned this on your arrival we would have been able to help you find something more suitable to your taste.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We found this to be a dirty, run-down cattle market of a hotel, which seems to specialise (unbelievably) in wedding and other celebrations and so is probably regularly busy - and noisy with it. The room was grimy and unclean, and the bedding was crumpled and badly made up. It was clear the room had received only a cursory 'clean' for some time. Attending breakfast was also unpleasant, taking place in an overfull, delapidated room offering greasy fry-ups and little else. Staff were generally friendly and helpful; but this did not extend to the receptionist asking us, on checking out, whether we enjoyed our stay - no doubt for good reason.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your choice of the words ‘cattle market’ indicate that you were not happy with the other guests in the hotel, purely due to the fact that they were attending a wedding reception at the hotel. We have been holding weddings here for over thirty years, and I am not sure what you are basing your assumption that we are not very good at hosting weddings on, as you have never attended a wedding here.
There is a picture of our restaurant, which was only refurbished last year on our main page, and I would like to think that guests will make up their own mind as to whether it is ‘dilapidated’.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I know there have been some mixed reviews of this hotel, but I can only tell you of what my experience was. It was very surprisingly good! My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night. My girlfriend's step-mom and Gran were holding their birthday parties in one of the many events rooms that they have at this hotel. There were about 100 people attending. Because the birthday event was located at the hotel, many of the attendees (us included) booked a room at the hotel for a package/reduced rate. As my girlfriend and I first pulled into the hotel, it did not look that appealing at all, so I was really not expecting much. The hotel REALLY needs to market and make their grounds/building much more appealing because visually, it sucks. However and fortunately, that is where the unpleasantness ended. The staff were all very accommodating and friendly, the rooms were nice with modern bathrooms (which I was not expecting), and the breakfast that was offered was quite nice and well beyond expectations. Obviously, this is not a 5 Star hotel, but it does not try to be and need not be. If you are looking for an events room, and more, then this hotel should be considered. It's worth it and I'm glad I stayed there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Unfortunately it is difficult for us to change the outside of the building due to its age and the layout of the car park. I do agree that it is a little disheartening on arrival, and we are trying to address this situation.
I am glad that you changed your mind when you entered the hotel, and that the bathrooms and the breakfast were beyond your expectations.
I hope you will visit us again if you are in the area.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

OK it's not the Ritz, but the latter is not what my wife and I were looking for. After driving for five or six hours from Germany and spending a further two hours on the ferry and driving another hour from Dover we look forward to relaxing in a clean and friendly hotel, before continuing our journey the next morning and the King Charles is ideal for our needs. This time we ate in the restaurant for the first time and I must say it was like everything else here excellent value at the price. The beds are first class and ensure a good night's rest and in the morning you can wake up to a hearty English breakfast served by friendly staff. We have stayed at more comfortable hotels many times, but have also paid ridiculous prices for the privilege. Pound for pound the King Charles is the best deal I know and we'll be back again soon.

1  Thank David T

I am glad that you were satisfied with your recent stay at the hotel. We are a family run business and although we cannot compete with the larger corporate chains of hotels on budgets and advertising, we do pride ourselves on our service, cleanliness and word of mouth recommendations.
We do try to offer value for money in both our bar and restaurant, and I am happy that you enjoyed the choices we offer.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Travelodge Chatham Maritime Hotel
#6 of 6 in Chatham
Gordon House Hotel
Gordon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rochester

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!