“Don't be put off by the cheap rates”

The Balmoral Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gillingham
The Balmoral Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 3 Gillingham B&B and Inns
London
“Don't be put off by the cheap rates”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

It is true that you get what you pay for, and this is fairly basic, but a lot better than what I was expecting from a town-centre victorian conversion. It doesn't look that inspiring from the outside, but at these prices who cares? What mattered was that the room was very clean, it felt recently refurbished, spacious, new furniture, simple neutral decor, new TV etc. Powerful heaters to deal with the icy weather. Pity a shower not a bath, but not the end of the world. A plus point for me was it is bang in the centre of town - 2 minutes walk from the High Street, less than 10 minutes from the Beacon Court Tavern pub and venue. It is also right opposite the station - bear in mind if you are on the 'road' side you will likely hear the trains from about 6am if you are a light sleeper. In terms of the 'parking problem', suggest you aim first for the public car parks behind High Street and pay 50p for 1/2 an hour or so. Check in and ask the manager for a visitor permit. In the rooms they have laminated parking maps that show you where this enables you to park. (It is in Zone E, if the council posts a map online). Finding a space was easy - I had no problem at all - but bear in mind you need to move your car by 8am the following day. Seeing as the whole point of my trip was to spend an evening at a gig/in the pub this was a small price to pay for not having to drive in the evening! Listening to friends' stories of the hotels they were staying in, I was completely sure I had picked the right one. So overall a thumbs-up from me.

Room Tip: Think about whether you want to be on the road/station side (noise from trains), but as this is a ho...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nicky G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cardiff
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The only problem with this place is the parking. There is simply nowhere around to park; all the local streets are restricted by resident permit, and the car parks do not allow stays longer than four hours.

The staff could not be more helpful, offering a daily visitor permit which allowed parking in one of these resident spaces. However, I needed to get up early to change it for the next day. Very inconvenient, not their fault at all, but in retrospect I would have been better off paying for somewhere more expensive and having somewhere to park!

For those travelling by train it is very well located - essentially opposite the train station. The room itself was clean, comfortable, had a TV and basic cooking facilities including a fridge, hob, pots and pans. This was a very pleasant surprise. A microwave would have been good, but even the provision of a fridge is over and above what I was expecting.

In short, a nice place to stay but I could not recommend it to those travelling by car.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Trwyn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I booked to stay at the balmoral but was a bit worried as it was so much cheaper than all the other places I could find. I was so pleased to find the room was spacious, very clean, had a private clean bathroom and comp tea\coffee! I have to travel a lot for work and pay for the accommodation myself - this was by far the best I've found for the money (especially midweek rates). My stay cost less than my train fare by far! There is no bar or restaurant which I didn't realize but makes sense for a guest house. The room had a tv and small kitchen so I saved even more money with take away in front of the telly. Def would recommend and def would stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mindslondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
The King Charles Hotel
Gordon House Hotel
Gordon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rochester
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels

Been to The Balmoral Guesthouse? Share your experiences!