“A gem in the garden of England!”
Review of Read's Restaurant

Read's Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 95 Restaurants in Faversham
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We are visiting Kent this week and my husband booked Reads to celebrate our third wedding anniversary and we were both delighted with our experience. From our welcome from well trained courteous yet friendly staff to taking coffee on the terrace in the spring sunshine was in deed the setting for a celebration. One of us suffers from food allergies and this was dealt with in a very professional manner and the chef excelled any expection! Each course was adapted and became the best food I have eaten in a long time! All the staff are a credit to the establishment and we found the service and the pace of lunch excellent. When we return to Kent we will have no hesitation to return to Reads - in fact we are looking forward to it already! We suggest you do the same as we can not believe anyone would be disappointed in the beautifully presented Georgian house, carm and relaxing restaurant, superb food and service!

1  Thank CandP13
There are newer reviews for Read's Restaurant

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of going to Reads for my birthday and my partner and I had the taster menu with accompanying wine. As usual the service and surroundings at Reads is top class and the food was superb. We had drinks in the drawing room with some little nibbles to go with them and at the table with had the following: 1. A small appetiser 2. Sauteed tiger prawns on bok-choi with slow braised teriyaki pork and coriander. 3 Crispy chicken wings with parmesan gnocchi, toasted hazelnuts and smoked bacon veloute 4. pan fried fillet of sea bass with crushed new potatoes, pink grapefruit, pine kernels, mint and chardonnay butter sauce. 5. Roasted loin of Kentish lamb with glazed apricots, croustillant of slow braised shoulder, savoy cabbage and carrot puree and my partner had medium-rare Scottish beef fillet with celeriac puree, oxtail crepinette, wild mushroom duxelle and a cabernet saubignon sauce. 6. A selection of British cheeses 7. A variety of Reads desserts.
Wow! Totally amazing! Beautiful presentation, just the exact size portions and the wine to go with each course varied and interesting. After all that, we were shown back into the drawing room for coffee and home made sweets!
The Taster menu is £60 per head and the wine to go with each course £35 per head, so not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive and all in all well worth it! Highly, highly recommended!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I celebrated(?) my 65th birthday there recently. We both opted for the Tasting menu for both food and wines. There were 7 courses if you count the soup amuse bouche to start with. The food and service were excellent. A nice touch was that the waiter gave an introduction to each of the different wines which accompanied each course. This was about our 6th visit - on 2 previous visits we stayed overnight which I can thoroughly recommend - nice rooms and an excellent breakfast. We would have this time, but we had left it too late - they were fully booked.
A little expensive - but worth it - especially for a special occasion. I can't imagine why they recently lost their Michelin star - I hope they get it back soon, if they're bothered.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Well worth the money for a lunchtime treat. Food is beautifully presented. The staff make you feel really special. Highly recommend.

1  Thank mally471
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The food was as usual really excellent and I really enjoyed the cosy atmosphere and efficient service. A restaurant I have no hesitation in recommending