“The Taster Menu was totally excellent!”
Review of Read's Restaurant

Read's Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 95 Restaurants in Faversham
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of going to Reads for my birthday and my partner and I had the taster menu with accompanying wine. As usual the service and surroundings at Reads is top class and the food was superb. We had drinks in the drawing room with some little nibbles to go with them and at the table with had the following: 1. A small appetiser 2. Sauteed tiger prawns on bok-choi with slow braised teriyaki pork and coriander. 3 Crispy chicken wings with parmesan gnocchi, toasted hazelnuts and smoked bacon veloute 4. pan fried fillet of sea bass with crushed new potatoes, pink grapefruit, pine kernels, mint and chardonnay butter sauce. 5. Roasted loin of Kentish lamb with glazed apricots, croustillant of slow braised shoulder, savoy cabbage and carrot puree and my partner had medium-rare Scottish beef fillet with celeriac puree, oxtail crepinette, wild mushroom duxelle and a cabernet saubignon sauce. 6. A selection of British cheeses 7. A variety of Reads desserts.
Wow! Totally amazing! Beautiful presentation, just the exact size portions and the wine to go with each course varied and interesting. After all that, we were shown back into the drawing room for coffee and home made sweets!
The Taster menu is £60 per head and the wine to go with each course £35 per head, so not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive and all in all well worth it! Highly, highly recommended!

There are newer reviews for Read's Restaurant

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I celebrated(?) my 65th birthday there recently. We both opted for the Tasting menu for both food and wines. There were 7 courses if you count the soup amuse bouche to start with. The food and service were excellent. A nice touch was that the waiter gave an introduction to each of the different wines which accompanied each course. This was about our 6th visit - on 2 previous visits we stayed overnight which I can thoroughly recommend - nice rooms and an excellent breakfast. We would have this time, but we had left it too late - they were fully booked.
A little expensive - but worth it - especially for a special occasion. I can't imagine why they recently lost their Michelin star - I hope they get it back soon, if they're bothered.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Well worth the money for a lunchtime treat. Food is beautifully presented. The staff make you feel really special. Highly recommend.

1  Thank mally471
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The food was as usual really excellent and I really enjoyed the cosy atmosphere and efficient service. A restaurant I have no hesitation in recommending

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We returned to Reads for my father-in-laws birthday on a sunny Saturday evening.

I hate to start with a criticism but once again upon arrival the 'lounge' was full so we ended up waiting until space became available. We had a table for 4 booked at 7.30 and with little traffic we arrived at 7.15. I wonder if I more staggered approach to table bookings could sort this problem out.?

Bad start over with we settled in for a pre-dinner drink and made our meal selection. Reads have several dining rooms so whilst it appeared busy the spacing out over these rooms ensures you are unaware of this. The service is fabulous discreet yet attentive and whilst standards are high, pretentiousness is not an issue.

The food this time felt as if there was something lacking, it was lovely but lacked in that extra something special we have come to expect. The raviolo is a bit too stuffed and over salted, our main courses of venison and lamb had some beautiful delicate flavours but these were drowned by the sheer quantity of sauce/gravy on the plate. This was no delicate application which was a shame, I did mention it to the waitress and I hope this matter is addressed, even if it means providing this sauce in a separate jug.

Dessert was sublime, an amazing selection of cheeses artfully served, very rich chocolate sorbet is a must try and the 'slice' of grapefruit looked beautiful.

A selection of sec petite fours were served with coffee in the lounge where we enjoyed a liquor to finish our evening.

Overall Reads is still delivering but it seems to have slipped from its usual standards, I am hoping it was just one of those days, I will be returning as this is the only slightly negative experience we have had here.

1  Thank worms